Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

100% Jas10. Even allowing for injuries 5 goals per season in his last 5 seasons in the Prem. Horrific. I think of all the players we've let go that are plying their trade to an acceptable standard and we're still stuck with this clown

• Like 2

You cant coach talent into someone.

You cant rewire a brain through USB or an e-prom

Gaby has no football talent

Gaby has no football brain

All Gaby has is loads of money and a few kids

Edited by Grasshopper

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Jesus wept. Adomah with 3 goals and 5 assists has had a hand in 8/28 goals 2nd behind Kodjia's 9 goals but Green and Gabby get a start ahead of him for you. Unbelievable

For one, Kodjia is in the team. Second of all, I thought Green was the best player on the pitch on Saturday and as such I would like him to get another start. 

Hardly deserving of a 'Jesus wept' :)

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You don’t play 300 odd top flight games and score over 80 goals if you have no talent or ability with a fair few of those coming against the top sides in the county. Over a hundred of those games for a side finishing top 6 in one of the toughest leagues in the world where at the time he didn’t look out of place.

I get that some people can’t stand him and don’t think he should be anywhere near the side. Whether or not you think he should have gotten another opportunity under Bruce the facts are that he has and he has taken it in terms of getting himself into shape and on a number of occasions making a positive impact in the team. On Saturday he turned the clock back a bit and led the line very well.

He needs to keep up the level of performances on Saturday and if he does there is little doubt that he will feature a lot more this season.

He also wasn't a penalty taker or free kick taker so those 80 goals are all from open play...

Gabbys actually quite deadly in the box. Getting onto the end of crosses was one of his strengths.

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For one, Kodjia is in the team. Second of all, I thought Green was the best player on the pitch on Saturday and as such I would like him to get another start. 

Hardly deserving of a 'Jesus wept' :)

My post before was Gabby up top and Kodjia wide was a disaster. Gabby in and Adomah out is mental

Edited by Kiwivillan

He had ability (pace) but that has faded.

He's hasn't adopted or developed other areas of his play to offset this other than bulking up.

He became too comfortable here and his off field antics hasn't helped.

From the highlights (yesterday) he looked lively and rather good, so well done Gabby.

But Bruce gambling on him being able to score for us during the AFCON along with McCormack going awol has cost us what little chance we had of reaching the play off.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Using Soccerbase:

301 games 73 goals (league)

12 / 2 (FA Cup)

21 / 7 League Cup

9 / 2 (other, whatever that is)

So, 343 / 84 isn't a bad return. But he has only scored one in the past 40, which is an awful decline for a player who had a decent record.

If we were to rewind back to then, his record would be 303 / 84 which is quite good for a player with limited ability.

Of course, his decline probably has something to do with this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3547894/Gabriel-Agbonlahor-internal-investigations-goals-season-stats-shame-axed-Aston-Villa-striker.html

Gabriel Agbonlahor's season went from bad to worse when he was suspended by Aston Villa for the second time this season pending an internal investigation into the striker's off-field antics.

The former England forward allegedly went on an alcohol-fuelled laughing gas binge hours after his team's relegation was confirmed at the weekend.

The Birmingham-born striker, who has spent the entirety of his career at Villa Park, has now had more internal investigations this season than he has scored goals.  

8 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

You don’t play 300 odd top flight games and score over 80 goals if you have no talent or ability with a fair few of those coming against the top sides in the county. Over a hundred of those games for a side finishing top 6 in one of the toughest leagues in the world where at the time he didn’t look out of place.

I get that some people can’t stand him and don’t think he should be anywhere near the side. Whether or not you think he should have gotten another opportunity under Bruce the facts are that he has and he has taken it in terms of getting himself into shape and on a number of occasions making a positive impact in the team. On Saturday he turned the clock back a bit and led the line very well.

He needs to keep up the level of performances on Saturday and if he does there is little doubt that he will feature a lot more this season.

If I were a striker with that ratio I'd be pretty fed up with myself to be totally honest with you- 300 odd games and still some way off a century of goals meh!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sne said:

He had ability (pace) but that has faded.

He's hasn't adopted or developed other areas of his play to offset this other than bulking up.

He became too comfortable here and his off field antics hasn't helped.

From the highlights (yesterday) he looked lively and rather good, so well done Gabby.

But Bruce gambling on him being able to score for us during the AFCON along with McCormack going awol has cost us what little chance we had of reaching the play off.

I agree with you totally - you are right and I'm a little surprised that Bruce is getting off lightly over this. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If I were a striker with that ratio I'd be pretty fed up with myself to be totally honest with you- 300 odd games and still some way off a century of goals meh!!

Do you have any idea at all how rare 1 in 3 strikers are? Particularly at that level?

Let me clue you in - very. 

Of course, this is about Gabby of the past. So it's all a bit moot. But I think you're rewriting history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you have any idea at all how rare 1 in 3 strikers are? Particularly at that level?

Let me clue you in - very. 

Of course, this is about Gabby of the past. So it's all a bit moot. But I think you're rewriting history.

No I'm not at all - if you feel his goal scoring record throughout his career is good- fair enough Doug- I don't I really don't.

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

No I'm not at all - if you feel his goal scoring record throughout his career is good- fair enough Doug- I don't I really don't.

We weren't talking about 'throughout his career' though, were we? Though his overall record at Premier League level is 1 in 4. I'm going to guess that over a 3rd of those games he was on the wing. 

Was Gabby a good player? Yes. I know you don't agree, we've got that nailed down. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We weren't talking about 'throughout his career' though, were we? Though his overall record at Premier League level is 1 in 4. I'm going to guess that over a 3rd of those games he was on the wing. 

Was Gabby a good player? Yes. I know you don't agree, we've got that nailed down. 

Doug- we are going around the houses a bit here- if you think his record is ok and also he was a good player- feel free I'm ok with this, clearly don't agree but hey that's football - happy to debate this all day long with you 

• Like 1

Â