Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Great. Rumours about a training ground bust up. That's really made my week.

I would dismiss it out of hand, except, when you think about it...

Well, Lambert doesn't actually seem too good at getting experienced pros possibly with a bit of attitude playing for him, does he?

What rumours and what attitude? I know he wasn't happy under Houllier, but Gabby kept plugging away. I don't seem to recall him being sent to train with the reserves, such was Houllier's want.

Has always come across a consummate professional to me. But hey, that doesn't write headlines (contained almost entirely in the imagination of about 4 or 5 people on here).

Great. Rumours about a training ground bust up. That's really made my week. 

I would dismiss it out of hand, except, when you think about it...

Well, Lambert doesn't actually seem too good at getting experienced pros possibly with a bit of attitude playing for him, does he? 

Lambert is rude, arrogant and stubborn which is why a lot of people fall out with him. he is a bit of a cock.

He's fast as f*** and he bleeds claret & blue... Stick him between the posts for all i care... He will still put in a good shift

Would he balls.... Did you see him last season when he was given the captaincy? Was so lacklustre, when he should've been the one above all others busting his gut.

Strong ambitious management would had him challenged years ago.

we have had a young lad join us who can't speak the language is not used to the league and has out scored him by a mile.

If folk can't see the that I'm staggered

Edited by TRO

To be fair I don't think it's Gabby's game to be a prolific goalscorer, so that comparison wih Benteke is a little simplistic. Also the little matter of Benteke playing up front might also have a bearing on goals scored this season relative to others. Benteke is a really promising talent, but I think Gabby is right up there with him as a very important player for us.

we have had a young lad join us who can't speak the language is not used to the league and has out scored him by a mile.

If folk can't see the that I'm staggered

He has also been played solely as a central striker. Agbonlahor has in the main played out wide and done a hell of a lot of donkey work in tracking back and helping out the fullback.

You judge Gabby solely on goals then you'd probably say 70 goals in 250 starts for us is not great. However when you consider that for at least half those games he would not have played as a central striker then that is not such a bad return and he does contribute in other ways with his work rate, in tracking back, in relieving pressure by being a very good outlet due to his pace and in creating chances for others.

It is so short sited to just judge a guy that rarely plays as a central striker purely on goals. In fact I am staggered some do.

Benteke will still score more goals this season than Gabby ever got in the season where he was played as an out and out striker, and this isn't even taking into account the inferior players Benteke's got behind him.

Gabby can be a very good player but he's just not consistent enough really.

Benteke will still score more goals this season than Gabby ever got in the season where he was played as an out and out striker, and this isn't even taking into account the inferior players Benteke's got behind him.

Gabby can be a very good player but he's just not consistent enough really.

Indeed. But he has been involved in some good squads over the years, he's a decent player. Never realised his full potential sure, but he has come close on many occasions. 

He's not the star we hoped he'd become. But I like him and when you're fighting a relegation battle then inconsistent brilliance is better than **** all. League average is better than shit all. I also see him as a leader, he bleeds the club. Unfortunately there aren't statistics out there to measure intangibles such as that. 

• Like 2

To be fair I don't think it's Gabby's game to be a prolific goalscorer, so that comparison wih Benteke is a little simplistic. Also the little matter of Benteke playing up front might also have a bearing on goals scored this season relative to others. Benteke is a really promising talent, but I think Gabby is right up there with him as a very important player for us.

i keep hearing this line.

He's not a wide player and not a goalscorer...HHHMMM

Its a bit like a centre half that can't stop goals.

There are goalscorers out there that do all the things Gabby can do and score goals.

Our own Gary Shaw, could hold the ball up bring players in pass with great timing and be aware of all around him.....and scored goals

To have a player that is working hard up front making his presence felt, but does not score regularly .....is simply not enough for me.

Â