Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

we have had a young lad join us who can't speak the language is not used to the league and has out scored him by a mile.

If folk can't see the that I'm staggered

He has also been played solely as a central striker. Agbonlahor has in the main played out wide and done a hell of a lot of donkey work in tracking back and helping out the fullback.

You judge Gabby solely on goals then you'd probably say 70 goals in 250 starts for us is not great. However when you consider that for at least half those games he would not have played as a central striker then that is not such a bad return and he does contribute in other ways with his work rate, in tracking back, in relieving pressure by being a very good outlet due to his pace and in creating chances for others.

It is so short sited to just judge a guy that rarely plays as a central striker purely on goals. In fact I am staggered some do.

Mark, what comes first the chicken or the egg?

He can't be played in the central role because that role requires goals.

Of course we can see what he does.....I'm simply saying its not enough.

Its nothing personal, I see gabby as similar to Vassell and I had the same opinion about him, whilst listening to his supporters championing his work down the channels....The work down the channels was noble but you need "end product". I feel much the same about Gabby.

I have seen Gabby come on and we look much better, but that does not change my overall opinion of his lack of goals.

Benteke will still score more goals this season than Gabby ever got in the season where he was played as an out and out striker, and this isn't even taking into account the inferior players Benteke's got behind him.

Gabby can be a very good player but he's just not consistent enough really.

Indeed. But he has been involved in some good squads over the years, he's a decent player. Never realised his full potential sure, but he has come close on many occasions. 

He's not the star we hoped he'd become. But I like him and when you're fighting a relegation battle then inconsistent brilliance is better than **** all. League average is better than shit all. I also see him as a leader, he bleeds the club. Unfortunately there aren't statistics out there to measure intangibles such as that. 

I agree he's a decent player to have around but I wouldn't call him a leader. He didn't lead the club in Petrov's absence at the end of last season. Neither did anyone else really but he was the interim captain.

Benteke will still score more goals this season than Gabby ever got in the season where he was played as an out and out striker, and this isn't even taking into account the inferior players Benteke's got behind him.

Gabby can be a very good player but he's just not consistent enough really.

Indeed. But he has been involved in some good squads over the years, he's a decent player. Never realised his full potential sure, but he has come close on many occasions. 

He's not the star we hoped he'd become. But I like him and when you're fighting a relegation battle then inconsistent brilliance is better than **** all. League average is better than shit all. I also see him as a leader, he bleeds the club. Unfortunately there aren't statistics out there to measure intangibles such as that. 

I agree he's a decent player to have around but I wouldn't call him a leader. He didn't lead the club in Petrov's absence at the end of last season. Neither did anyone else really but he was the interim captain.

Well, it was hard to know what the **** was going on last season. Dunne stepped up, in my opinion. 

I wasn't necessarily saying Gabby is captain material and I've no idea how much the younger players look up to him. I'm just saying he has fight in him on the pitch, I for one have never questioned his work ethic. Brain perhaps, work rate never. 

To be fair I don't think it's Gabby's game to be a prolific goalscorer, so that comparison wih Benteke is a little simplistic. Also the little matter of Benteke playing up front might also have a bearing on goals scored this season relative to others. Benteke is a really promising talent, but I think Gabby is right up there with him as a very important player for us.

i keep hearing this line.

He's not a wide player and not a goalscorer...HHHMMM

Its a bit like a centre half that can't stop goals.

There are goalscorers out there that do all the things Gabby can do and score goals.

Our own Gary Shaw, could hold the ball up bring players in pass with great timing and be aware of all around him.....and scored goals

To have a player that is working hard up front making his presence felt, but does not score regularly .....is simply not enough for me.

This season has been a bit stop and start with injuries, but I think him being used on the wing for much of his career has a bearing on his goals record. But looking at the bigger picture, last season his goals and assists combined record was our best.

we have had a young lad join us who can't speak the language is not used to the league and has out scored him by a mile.

If folk can't see the that I'm staggered

He has also been played solely as a central striker. Agbonlahor has in the main played out wide and done a hell of a lot of donkey work in tracking back and helping out the fullback.

You judge Gabby solely on goals then you'd probably say 70 goals in 250 starts for us is not great. However when you consider that for at least half those games he would not have played as a central striker then that is not such a bad return and he does contribute in other ways with his work rate, in tracking back, in relieving pressure by being a very good outlet due to his pace and in creating chances for others.

It is so short sited to just judge a guy that rarely plays as a central striker purely on goals. In fact I am staggered some do.

Mark, what comes first the chicken or the egg?

the egg.

Funny how playing on the wing hasnt stopped Weimann scoring?

He doesn't play on the wing? Also Weinmann's work at the other end leave a bit to be desired...

Yes, he works hard but too many times he do the wrong things defensively. I think he'll be a very good striker in the future, though. Talking about Weimann.

Gabby was my motm yesterday, but he wasn't great. But he worked hard and caused them some problems.

It's interesting how a succession of managers, with very different approaches to the game and ideas about who should command first team places have all stuck with Gabby. They fret when he's injured and put him in the squad whenever they can, so while there is a section of fans firmly against him, it's not a view shared by the guys in charge.

It's interesting how a succession of managers, with very different approaches to the game and ideas about who should command first team places have all stuck with Gabby. They fret when he's injured and put him in the squad whenever they can, so while there is a section of fans firmly against him, it's not a view shared by the guys in charge.

its also interesting how all them managers had no real clue about football either :( though GH was only one who never really wanted Gabby

its also interesting how all them managers had no real clue about football either :( though GH was only one who never really wanted Gabby

I think you will find that all of them managers have a lot more of a clue than we do.

GH was only one who never really wanted Gabby

He had a funny way of showing it then, recommending him for a new £60,000 a week contract and playing him pretty much whenever he was fit.True, he said bad things in public about him being too muscular, but he said bad things in public about a lot of the players.

Gabby was my MOTM against Arsenal.  Its not his fault he is on 60k a week and over the past few games he seems to be giving it his all for Villa. 

Hang on a minute, he signed the contract. Fair enough, hes not paying the money and as I always say (good luck to him), but, he signed the contract. That contract says hes worth 60k a week. He isnt. And for that he deserves some criticism. 

I always remember Ash saying we need the support of the fans. Hold on a minute. You signed a contract for 70k a week son, and you need us to come and help you through the tough times. Do me a favour.

Now, am I suggesting that support isnt vital in football. No. it is. And its virtually impossible for any pro footballer to prove worthwhile on the pitch. For them wages, there shouldnt be a misplaced pass. Impossible.

But I have to ask the question. Why, if Gabby 'bleeds' claret and blue, did he not just say, Il tell you what - 40k a week will do because do you know what, I love the club so much I dont want to rip you off? Why didnt he say that. Because he is just like the rest.

Gabby is not and never was a prolific goalscorer, don't know why people expect him to be. Even if you loved the club you would not turn down 60k a week, especially when he has kids to support. Not his fault that at the time he was deemed to have been worth 60k.

Gabby might not score consistently or even play that consistently, but he causes trouble and we always look dangerous when he is on the pitch. He can hunt stray passes down the corridors against sloppy defenders like Mertesacker (probably bad example as I didn't watch the Arsenal-game) and leave their midfield exposes. That is a good tool to have in the bag, and he has shown over the years that he is a top-10 player unlike our team is combined obviously.

Especially against crappier teams he runs a lot down the wing and creates a few chances when the others manages to contribute on top as well.

Definete keeper for me.

Funny how playing on the wing hasnt stopped Weimann scoring?

He doesn't play on the wing? Also Weinmann's work at the other end leave a bit to be desired...

Yes, he works hard but too many times he do the wrong things defensively. I think he'll be a very good striker in the future, though. Talking about Weimann.

Gabby was my motm yesterday, but he wasn't great. But he worked hard and caused them some problems.

I'm not having a pop at Weimann, I think he's doing really well.  

Gabby was my MOTM against Arsenal.  Its not his fault he is on 60k a week and over the past few games he seems to be giving it his all for Villa. 

Hang on a minute, he signed the contract. Fair enough, hes not paying the money and as I always say (good luck to him), but, he signed the contract. That contract says hes worth 60k a week. He isnt. And for that he deserves some criticism. 

I always remember Ash saying we need the support of the fans. Hold on a minute. You signed a contract for 70k a week son, and you need us to come and help you through the tough times. Do me a favour.

Now, am I suggesting that support isnt vital in football. No. it is. And its virtually impossible for any pro footballer to prove worthwhile on the pitch. For them wages, there shouldnt be a misplaced pass. Impossible.

But I have to ask the question. Why, if Gabby 'bleeds' claret and blue, did he not just say, Il tell you what - 40k a week will do because do you know what, I love the club so much I dont want to rip you off? Why didnt he say that. Because he is just like the rest.

You joking here right?  You seriously saying anyone would say no dont pay me 60k, im not worth it only give me 40k?  If he did i wouldnt want him near the team because he should be sent to the looney bin where he would belong.

You joking here right?  You seriously saying anyone would say no dont pay me 60k, im not worth it only give me 40k?  If he did i wouldnt want him near the team because he should be sent to the looney bin where he would belong.

No of course Im not.

What I am illustrating is that in this game there are no players who bleed the club like some suggest Gabby does.

• Like 1

Â