Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

It's a real mystery how manager after manager keep selecting him regularly when so many Villa fans *know* he is no good.

Apparently he is excellent in training and a lot of the players like him. Plus he has been at the club a long time, so whenever a manager comes in, they turn to their most senior members of the squad which is always Gabby. I think Keane was the only one who had the balls to call Gabby out on his poor form hence why Gabby was reported very happy when Keane resigned. 

It's a real mystery how manager after manager keep selecting him regularly when so many Villa fans *know* he is no good.

Apparently he is excellent in training and a lot of the players like him. Plus he has been at the club a long time, so whenever a manager comes in, they turn to their most senior members of the squad which is always Gabby. I think Keane was the only one who had the balls to call Gabby out on his poor form hence why Gabby was reported very happy when Keane resigned. 

I've always said there are training players and match players. I'd take match players any day of the week and I see many at the top have thought the same. Plus Keano should know, he was one.

I think that can be a tough separation for managers to achieve, 

It would be a shame if someone who has been around the club so long ended up having the fan base turn on them. I don't think he should be playing but I do hope a break from the first team might kick start a strong finish to his career.

• Like 1

It would be a shame if someone who has been around the club so long ended up having the fan base turn on them. I don't think he should be playing but I do hope a break from the first team might kick start a strong finish to his career.

.....but its the start of the campaign, not towards the end. -_-

Edited by TRO

Completely agree Trent, and that's speaking as someone who has in the past given Gabby some stick.

And at times he deserves it, he can be infuriating but a lot of it is undeserved, over the top and quite unfair all things considered.

• Like 1

Totally agree with every word Trent. I couldn't sleep for thinking about Gabby then (how ridiculous for a grown man!) and came on to post something along those lines, but maybe not quite so perfectly.

He's a good bloke, a proper Villa fan and he does try, despite at times being utter dog shit. I still remember how exciting he was when he first broke through (and for a good 4 years after), putting Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, United and the shit words removed to the sword several times with his raw power and pace. How anyone can deny that player existed is beyond me.

He's had a rough few years, Lambert's first season was the last time he found any consistent form, though he did start well under Sherwood he's not been good this season at all. I don't claim to know the reasons for that and I agree, as things stand he should not be starting games for us. But I'm certain there is a player in there *somewhere*, I've seen it.

Good luck Gabby, because a good Gabby is good for Villa.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I know Gabby's limitations, everybody does.

But generally speaking I find some of the attitudes towards Gabby infuriating if I'm honest.

Here is a guy who is truly one of us, if he hadn't been lucky enough to make it he would have been sitting next to one us at a game on a Saturday if he could saved enough from working at Domino's.

But more than that this is a guy who has made more the 300 appearances for us, is our leading PL scorer and has a 1 in 4 ratio despite being misused by a progression of managers. A guy who in better times, with better players around him was an exciting player and who in terms of games against Small Heath should be considered a bit of hero.

Before people start typing furiously about his limitations, I know them as I said everybody does.

But at least Gabby gives a shit, he genuinely does and that isn't something you can say about everyone who pulls in a fat weekly wage. Watch the cup final back, if you can bear it, Gabby is the only guy in that second half who looked like he cared.

I'll say another  thing about Gabby. Aside from some potent swimmers and inability to wear a rain coat when do you ever hear Gabby's name in the press, picture in the papers or as the source of tittletattle or rumour.

He isn't the way getting pissed ala Collins, he isn't the one walking off the pitch laughing when you've just got hammered ala Dunne the prick. He isn't the one more interested in shopping ala N'Zogbia or cars like Carew or bitching and moaning when he isn't in the team. He doesn't 'pretend' to be injured either like some others....

No Gabby for all his limitations (see I'm using that word again so please don't feel the need to tell me what they are) has plenty of positives about him. 

Should he be in the starting line up? No, almost certainly not. Should he get stick from the fans? Absolutely bloody not.

Trent,

Bravo

.......and seriously who can argue about those positives, but you do come across as you would expect his agent to....you obviously like him, its hard no to, based entirely on your testimonial

but we are fans and despite all his noble attributes of character, we want to see performance on the pitch....after all said and done they get paid handsomely and bully for him to come out and admit his deterioration in performance level.....I guess it was becoming that obvious, he had to say something.

I agree he does not need to be villified as he doesn't pick himself and I don't doubt he loves the club, something we all have in common.

I am sceptical of playing the loyalty card and will be equally dubious of doing so for Jack Grealish...( nearly all our greatest players of the past have not been indigenous of the area, so I don't buy in to that) The players are very quick to tell us its  a job to them, seemingly reminding us that sentiment plays little part.....I am also slow to agree on the playing out of position....He has had opportunities down the middle and failed to impress.

No, They are not really one of us despite their attempt to be so, they can influence a game we can't, they can and do get transferred to another club, we can't, They get paid, we have to pay for the privilege to watch them.

customers and suppliers are rarely the same, they have different agenda's ....as to players and fans.

I guess most fans are just frustrated with his performances ,not him as a person.....There is a subtle difference

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

really? Tell me one club who have seriously shown any interest/ linked with him in recent times? My mates are wolves fans who tell me they would be absolutely mortified if they were linked to him. This is coming from the Championship. Please the time to stop defending him is here. IMO

133 posts. All of them in this thread.

And your point being what? In all of my posts i have never been rude or abusive towards anyone, and certainly never made any reference to anything other than his footballing ability [ unlike some].. Which is what i thought football forums were all about? Surely the number of postings are irrelevant aren't they? 134.

My point being, it's quite odd to sign up to a football forum and only post In one players thread. That many posts making the same point over and over again.

Each to their own, I guess.

Despite everything, I don't really want him to leave, at least not this window. He's still an option. Like Ayew, I think he just needs some time out of the side, and some more focus on reading what the midfield are up to. As I said in another thread, he's in danger of looking like a dinosaur if he doesn't get a bit more technical. 

However, I'm going to contradict myself - he should start against Sunderland at least because he has psychological advantage over them. 

Â