Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He hasn't been consistently good since MON left. A case of a manager getting the best out of him, or playing with better players, or defenders finding him out, injuries, or a combination of all 4?  He could still do a job for us but I can't see him getting such a fat contract again and it will be up to him if he thinks he can find a better deal elsewhere. My gut feeling is that Gabby is a stayer and will take a pay cut.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I think Gabby should stay/be kept at Villa. Simply because he's been here for years now, he actually gives the shit about the club, he's a local lad and a fan. When times are tough i imagine Gabby is the one giving the team a kick up the arse, and tries to keep them moving. He's a leader, and he cares about this club. That having been said I'm not sure a man of his ability and performances should be on 60k a week, especially considering our new wage system. I think he should take a wage cut and stay on at villa. If he's a true fan and not just in it for a money he'd take it. 40k a week is still crazy money.

Gabby is an epitome of the mediocrity of the club.

If we had a manager with ambition Gabby would have had to fight for his place much more than he has.

He can be a dangerous player and he does have games where he is a definate threat to the opposition....He also has games where he drifts through.

I don't see that driving force of Andy Gray or that elusive streak of Brian Little, I don't see him be keep the ball with the meanness of Gary Shaw.

Gabby has over recent years, been one of our best players, and a true Villa Fan

......AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHY WE ARE, WHERE WE ARE.

Ps I'm not too impressed with this Villa Fan playing the team scenario.....Nearly all our best players over the years have not been brought up as Villa Fans and some have become Villa fans as a result of playing successfully for us( chicken & egg).....Players play for money, end of.

• Like 2

That is exactly what I want to see from Gabby in terms of being a senior in the team. If they're all crowding around your brothers, headlocking them and so on, tell them to move out of the **** way!

Good on him for showing he cares, it really does show the togetherness of the team.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 4

Thought he was rubbish today, touch was awful all game.

I actually wouldn't start him next week, get Albrighton and Weimann either side of Benteke to run at Stoke's 6ft + back four.

I agree that he didn't play well and I also think Albrighton deserves the start to be honest.

• Like 2

We need to rotate a little bit more especially with us pretty much playing out the season now.

Southampton regularly rotate their figurehead Rickie Lambert (was on the bench today), Mirallas was an unused sub for Everton the other week.

I don't see why Gabby as a sub should be such a drama particularly as he fails to influence so many home games.

Let's see how the front three that ended the game today do from the start next week.

• Like 1

I don't get the Gabby hate. He is an engine on the team and has been the only player to consistently give shit. He may disappear at times but he's never listless. And hes always good for a few good defensive track backs a game.

Marc Albrighton is what he is. I think he's much better as a sub late in the game than playing a whole 90 minutes. 

Thought he was rubbish today, touch was awful all game.

I actually wouldn't start him next week, get Albrighton and Weimann either side of Benteke to run at Stoke's 6ft + back four.

I agree that he didn't play well and I also think Albrighton deserves the start to be honest.

Wouldn't Gabby be more effective against a bunch of 6ft+ players than Albrighton? Making runs behind them instead of crossing?

Gabby needs to be playing.

A few weeks ago I would've said drop Weimann for Albrighton but I wouldn't say that either just at the moment.

Keep Marc on the bench, he could open it up late on if it's tight.

I think Benteke Gabby and Weimann will cause Stoke some problems.

Gabby doesn't do much in home games when defences park on the 18 yard box, next week's game will be very similar to West Ham and Palace. He started both and did very little in either.

I think Albrighton's cameo deserves a start. I'd still bring back Gabby for Man. United away the following week as he's shown his quality against them numerous times in the past.

I think Gabby is a lazy player, and if hes on £50k a week, then imho hes not worth it.

You look at his game yday, his movement off the ball, touch, pass choice was all poor, when Albrighton came on for him, could you see Gabby picking Delph out like Albrighton did?....not for me.

Hes a Villa fan, and fair play to him for that, but, for me hes not doing it, and hasn't been for a couple of years now.With all his ability he should be Englands CF, his lack of concentration, and attitude means hes not.

Get a good striker in the summer to play off CB, and a good midfielder, we should improve rapidly.

• Like 1

I think Gabby is a lazy player, and if hes on £50k a week, then imho hes not worth it.

You look at his game yday, his movement off the ball, touch, pass choice was all poor, when Albrighton came on for him, could you see Gabby picking Delph out like Albrighton did?....not for me.

Hes a Villa fan, and fair play to him for that, but, for me hes not doing it, and hasn't been for a couple of years now.With all his ability he should be Englands CF, his lack of concentration, and attitude means hes not.

Get a good striker in the summer to play off CB, and a good midfielder, we should improve rapidly.

Crazy to say that gabby couldn't of picked delph out, have you seen some of his assists this season?

Albirghton really hasn't done a lot and is playing for a contract, why change what's working well?

I don't get the Gabby hate. He is an engine on the team and has been the only player to consistently give shit. He may disappear at times but he's never listless. And hes always good for a few good defensive track backs a game.

It's a sad day when we judge our attackers simply by how well they track back.

Â