Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

At 26/27 I don't think he ever will be a prolific goal scorer. As his game is about pace he probably hasn't got that many years left in the game. Vassell went downhill quite quickly and he was probably a bit more talented than Gabby.

Edited by PaulC

At 26/27 I don't think he ever will be a prolific goal scorer. As his game is about pace he probably hasn't got that many years left in the game. Vassell went downhill quite quickly and he was probably a bit more talented than Gabby.

...but the difference is even back then before the oil sheiks, they come to a conclusion about Vassell a lot quicker then us...we seem to procrastinate.

Its ok saying Gabby's game is all about pace, but its like saying Rory delap's game is all about throw ins....it ain't enough.

Edited by TRO

The problem with commenting on Gabby's shortfalls he is still amongst our most effective players. That in itself shows how far behind we are in terms of ambition.

Gabby fascinates me. He has all the traits to be a 10\18 goals a season man, but isn't at the moment. How do you guys think he can take the next step and become more prolific?

He has scored over 10 goals in 5 of the last 7 seasons so I would argue that he is a 10-15 man. The other 2 seasons he wasnt really fit tbh. He is never going to be world class but he has been a good player for us, and has a great chance to have a testimonial year for us. Which is unheard of in modern football.

Gabby fascinates me. He has all the traits to be a 10\18 goals a season man, but isn't at the moment. How do you guys think he can take the next step and become more prolific?

He needs some help working on his touch and his ability to run with ball as it's is very poor for a seasoned professional premier league player, imagine if he had the touch & skill of Sturridge

• Like 1

Yes Sturridge is similar to Gabby in quite a few ways but is just more of a rounded version and obviously more prolific.

Would've loved to have got him when he was leaving Man. City as was rumoured at the time.

Sturridge has a better technique
  • Like 1

I don't see the similarities between gabby and sturridge.. Gabby is a runner with very little technical ability. Yes he has improved over the yrs, but not to a great extent. Sturridge is very technical and not so much an athlete. Sturridge can link up play more.

• Like 1

...but the difference is even back then before the oil sheiks, they come to a conclusion about Vassell a lot quicker then us...we seem to procrastinate.

That doesn't makes sense. We came to a conclusion and then they gave us £2m for a player we didn't want. It seems that we did one over on them. I couldn't believe we got that for him at the time.

Its ok saying Gabby's game is all about pace, but its like saying Rory delap's game is all about throw ins....it ain't enough.

Gabby's game is primarily about pace. But it's not all about pace. In football, pace is a huge asset that tends to cost a lot of money. You can't say Gabby would have 74 goals for Villa if all he could do was run. I'm not saying he's prolific. He averages less than 10 a season but I think we are too harsh on him when criticising him. He's no Messi but he's no Jason Lee either.

What you see with Gabby is what you get. If loyalty was a measure of a players skill, then Gabby would be world class. As it is, he flatters to deceive sometimes, but can also put in a performance that has you jumping off your seat.

Whatever, he'll take his place in the hall of fame come the time.

• 3 weeks later...

That doesn't makes sense. We came to a conclusion and then they gave us £2m for a player we didn't want. It seems that we did one over on them. I couldn't believe we got that for him at the time.

Gabby's game is primarily about pace. But it's not all about pace. In football, pace is a huge asset that tends to cost a lot of money. You can't say Gabby would have 74 goals for Villa if all he could do was run. I'm not saying he's prolific. He averages less than 10 a season but I think we are too harsh on him when criticising him. He's no Messi but he's no Jason Lee either.

Exactly my view. He's not, and never will be, a huge star player in Premier League terms but he's a solid professional. He doesn't play as a striker but will still bag his share of goals and do some of the donkey work as well.

We'd be worse of without him and thats not a sign of lack of ambition.

• Like 1

Â