Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Don't forget he's never taken a penalty for us.

I know they all count and scoring a penalty isn't easy a lot of the time but that can be good to boost artificially a strikers goalscoring tally, Darren Bent did this in TSM's season and Carew did this in 09/10.

All gabby's goals come in open play.

This x1000. He's played as a wide forward and has never taken pks. So he has a very respectable goals to games rate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The reason playing him through the middle worked tonight was because Southampton play the highest defensive line in the Premier League. It's begging for the best counter-attacker in the Premier League to be played through the middle. Lambert did that and Gabby got his goal - on the counter-attack.

We won't play Southampton every week, and we know from last season that away from home Gabby can score from wide positions, so no reason to change.

The reason playing him through the middle worked tonight was because Southampton play the highest defensive line in the Premier League. It's begging for the best counter-attacker in the Premier League to be played through the middle. Lambert did that and Gabby got his goal - on the counter-attack.

We won't play Southampton every week, and we know from last season that away from home Gabby can score from wide positions, so no reason to change.

He has scored a few goals with his back to goal too y'know.

I think his best one was when he embarrassed Danny Shittu again Sheffield United about 5 years ago, turned him and slammed it in off the post.

He doesn't always run in a straight line and apply a finish, he's got more to his locker & I think you're giving him a little bit of discredit by labelling him as an only counter attacking threat.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's how you're portraying it. 

He has scored a few goals with his back to goal too y'know.

I think his best one was when he embarrassed Danny Shittu again Sheffield United about 5 years ago, turned him and slammed it in off the post.

He doesn't always run in a straight line and apply a finish, he's got more to his locker & I think you're giving him a little bit of discredit by labelling him as an only counter attacking threat.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's how you're portraying it. 

He's not only a counter-attacking thread, his game is best on the counter-attack. He's World Class on the counter-attack but as pure finisher he is Championship.

What are his abilities? Gabby has speed, strength to hold up the ball, he has a decent cross and playmaking sense which can bring in other players - which is important for an effective counter-attack. He also has leadership qualities and can inspire the team - although this is not required in all games.

What does he offer at home? Much less. His ball skills are not technical enough to unlock defences (not like Aguero, Van Persie). He doesn't take set pieces. Can head the ball but is not the greatest aerial threat. His playmaking sense is good enough on the counter-attack where there is a lot of space but when we're dominating a packed penalty area he passes to the opposition.

We can play Gabby at home in games against the best teams where we're going to be counter-attacking, but against the worst teams in the division when we dominate the game playing Benteke (for example) with Kozak would be a lot more effective for us. 

Doing this will also have the advantage of resting Gabby more often, which will be important as he gets older. Possibly also should have happened when he was younger, playing too often might be the reason why his form is typically better in the first half of the season.

Edited by Con

The team is definitely a lot more exciting with Gabby in. I always feel that we'll be able to create something when he plays, and his movement is key to how effective our counter attacks can be. Glad he got his goal yesterday, so here's hoping he can go on a bit of a run now.

For me Gabby is an automatic pick whenever and wherever for away games. Essential for our plan.

But as I said a few weeks back we need to look at whether he should always be a starter every single time at villa park. Saturday was the first home game this season imo he's properly influenced.

Â