All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not going to be writing to Cineworld or boycotting their cinemas , but I do believe they shouldn't have caved in the way they did 

Tbf to Cineworld they stated the main reason as concern for their staff's safety which I guess fits into their duty of care for their employees.

It also makes it a police matter though if these 'protesters' have been so threatening.  It's not a far stretch to assume that's the case considering one filmed himself saying he'd rather they took his children than depict his prophet.

19 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I think we in the West don't want to know about it because we've lost touch with our own spirituality

Define 'spirituality'. 

It's a word that gets bandied around a lot, but I have yet to hear a meaningful explanation of what it means. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Define 'spirituality'. 

It's a word that gets bandied around a lot, but I have yet to hear a meaningful explanation of what it means. 

*waves hands vaguely about*

It means that. Really.

For me, spirituality is fluffing around ghosts and voices and visions and clouds shaped like your ancestor ‘sitting bare’. It’s old ladies contacting the dead and trying to remember the smell of parsley.

Soul. Soul is where it’s at. I have soul, but very few on here have a soul. I feel very lucky.

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

Switched from Tea to Coffee and that started their whole fall into the culinary dustbin?

When you think about it, there’s hardly one of the colonies that’s actually grateful or decent enough to just say thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Define 'spirituality'. 

Thank you for the opportunity to share on the matter, especially considering you aren't exactly enthused by how it's come across. I don't expect I'll change that for you, but I appreciate you giving me the time of day to say what it means for me.

I consider it to be a practical and pragmatic matter, as much as it is an intangible. We are quite cerebral in our ways today, yet I think feelings and heart are equally as important. We oftentimes are dismissive citing theory as a way to undermine and diminish credibility. 

I cannot prove elements of this experience to you. 

I'm unable to write you as I would like, at the moment, so I'm going to leave you with a quote from a movie which spoke to me, unfortunately the movie itself is typically Tarantino, at times vulgar and heavily violent. It's not exactly the embodiment of spiritual experience I mean to convey, but the quote is apt nonetheless. 

"Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is insignificant. What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved."

I will return to explain myself better when I can. As concisely as possible, because I don't believe spirituality is all that foreign or difficult to understand. 

Edited by A'Villan
  • Confused 2

@mjmooney what confuses you there?

I only ask so I can write a proper response that addresses your asking for a definition of spirituality. Having some insight into what wavelength you're on and why in regards to spirituality in general and my post I've just made would help me to answer your initial request as directly, clearly and simply as possible. 

Forgive me it is passed my bedtime. And I should be in bed getting rest, or at the very least seeing to the things need doing tomorrow. Wise to get some rest first though. I like to engage these discussions, it helps me get a sense of what's what. And if I'm seeing it true, or not.

Bob Dylan.

That's one way to define spirituality that you might find relatable.

The essence of what we are. 

Spiritual beings. 

Anyway I'll shutup for now and hopefully I can muster a good reply post later tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

"Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is insignificant. What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved."

This  quote begs the question ... well sort of. It is assuming God exists so we have to then wander off into never-never land to explain what God means.  

The quote explains nothing, it just defers the explanation.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

This  quote begs the question ... well sort of. It is assuming God exists so we have to then wander off into never-never land to explain what God means.  

The quote explains nothing, it just defers the explanation.

Far off imaginary places, like is implied by never-never land, if I'm not mistaken, are the birth place and origins of creation itself. It is necessary, a necessity, the mother of all invention. So probably a good place to wander off to in search of God and what that all means. 

Muhammad Ali once said, "If I told you who don't believe in GOD, If I told you that this glass sprung into existence, this glass made itself, no man made this glass. Did you believe if I just told you this thing made itself?"

Edited by A'Villan

Did I not also state that I was deferring explanation? @fruitvilla

The quote was intended to illicit an appreciation that something is taking place here that cannot be explained. 

Does that offer any good to the discussion?

51 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Did I not also state that I was deferring explanation? @fruitvilla

You did ... and I pointed out the quote was not helpful at all.

52 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

The quote was intended to illicit an appreciation that something is taking place here that cannot be explained. 
Does that offer any good to the discussion?

Again you are begging the question. Do you mean we (you) don't know how to explain or perhaps you mean it is impossible that this something can be explained.

For me, this so called spirituality might be induced with some good drugs ... cf Mike Pollan or Sam Harris. I am not advocating this. For me spirituality are like moments of awe. Like when I was six years old at Villa Park, the murmur of the crowd as the ground filled up, the pitch was impossibly green. I have seen Christians go into euphoric states singing folksy hymns.

Other people argue spirituality is simply living a "good" life, whatever that means.

16 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

For me spirituality are like moments of awe. Like when I was six years old at Villa Park, the murmur of the crowd as the ground filled up 

That's an adrenaline rush. Follow the science. 

24 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

You did ... and I pointed out the quote was not helpful at all.

Again you are begging the question. Do you mean we (you) don't know how to explain or perhaps you mean it is impossible that this something can be explained.

For me, this so called spirituality might be induced with some good drugs ... cf Mike Pollan or Sam Harris. I am not advocating this. For me spirituality are like moments of awe. Like when I was six years old at Villa Park, the murmur of the crowd as the ground filled up, the pitch was impossibly green. I have seen Christians go into euphoric states singing folksy hymns.

Other people argue spirituality is simply living a "good" life, whatever that means.

Can you explain how the quote was not helpful at all?

It states that regardless of the rules and authorities telling us one narrative and how it is with an explanation for everything, that he felt something beyond and greater than that. And that feeling cannot be explained, not by himself, nor those rules or authorities. And that was the touch of God.

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's an adrenaline rush. Follow the science. 

I am sure it is more than just adrenaline. There be a whole bunch of hormones being released and interacting (intra-acting?)

The tricky bit is the jump between the chemistry and the experience. I think @A'Villan is pointing to this gap in our understanding and saying this is where spirituality or perhaps God resides. But I think you are right mj ... our experiences and chemistry are closely related. Single malts are a classic chemistry experiment.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

And that was the touch of God.

This what I never get about religion, how do they know it was the touch of god and not something else or a myriad of other possible explanations.

23 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Can you explain how the quote was not helpful at all?

I did. You have described spirituality as the feeling touch of God.  Now perhaps you can explain what the quote meant by God? And whilst you are at it perhaps you can explain what you mean by God. Or is God beyond all understanding?

Edited by fruitvilla
to make sense
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I did. You have described spirituality as the feeling touch of God.  Now perhaps you can explain what the quote meant by God? And whilst you are at it perhaps you can explain what by God. Or is God beyond all understanding?

I'm saying I am not all knowing. 

The quote is saying he had a realisation of sorts, the realisation was not a drug induced epiphany, that there are powers beyond our comprehension.

When I saw @mjmooney post the Dylan lyrics in here, that is spirituality for me.

We all trying to find the answers here. I don't see why science and God have to be at odds.

I find it interesting that "finding God" is an expression.

Â