General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Have to say that Lambert seems to be as highly qualified as any other name I have seen bandied around here, foreign or home-based, excluding Rafa. Think Rafa's unlikely though and would be more of a risk in my opinion than PL.

Also hoping that early fears if him playing a defensive style have been quashed. There seems to be a few high-scoring games in his managerial history.

Pretty decent success at Wycombe, Colchester and Norwich. Let's not stuff this up.

As usual with villa, nobody knows whats happening - including the media they are absolutely clueless and probably know as much as us.

I'm not sure this all points to Lambert, I think he is in the limelight now because of todays events at other clubs, simple as that. If he was our number one target from day one, we'd have him by now in my opinion.

I have heard from various different people that Martinez was always the boards target. I really can't grasp why he'd stay at Wigan. It makes no sense at all, loyalty doesnt come into it he will be with a struggling team again with little money .

Nobody can be sure what our board will do, look at what happened with the last appointment. PL is lazy media, we have to sit tight I wouldnt rule out Benitez.

f this is the first contact made to lambert or norwich then lerner and faulkner are absolute fools, this should have been done the day mcleish was fired! lets hope lambert says yes and isnt put off by not being approached sooner

I think Lambert is a fine manager, and I would support him and I think he would be a good appointment. But I have this feeling that Lerner is after AVB, even with his demands, because although there are strong demands, i think they align nicely with what I believe the board wants: longevity, a top to bottom plan, exciting football, commitment.

I think, with these types of demands come a lot of negotiation on both sides. I think that OGS as a plan B could be considered an AVB Light option, without the higher demands, but similar philosophies and commitments, and they got "caught" a bit in talking to him. I think Martinez was perhaps plan C, but Lerner was not happy to wait for Liverpool.

I hope that perhaps he has gotten far enough down the road with AVB, and AVBs options are sufficiently off the table, that we are close to signing him and would prefer to wait and see (like you did to us RM) and that's the message we sent to Martinez, who was put under the gun by Whelan to commit or move on.

Anyway, I hope that is the case. If AVB is indeed demanding those kinds of commitments, I am sure that we would make some demands in turn to protect us.

f this is the first contact made to lambert or norwich then lerner and faulkner are absolute fools, this should have been done the day mcleish was fired!

Without being rude, you do realise real life is not like football manager? There are lots and lots of things to consider, never mind who the manager should be.

I think Lambert is a fine manager, and I would support him and I think he would be a good appointment. But I have this feeling that Lerner is after AVB, even with his demands, because although there are strong demands, i think they align nicely with what I believe the board wants: longevity, a top to bottom plan, exciting football, commitment.

I think, with these types of demands come a lot of negotiation on both sides. I think that OGS as a plan B could be considered an AVB Light option, without the higher demands, but similar philosophies and commitments, and they got "caught" a bit in talking to him. I think Martinez was perhaps plan C, but Lerner was not happy to wait for Liverpool.

I hope that perhaps he has gotten far enough down the road with AVB, and AVBs options are sufficiently off the table, that we are close to signing him and would prefer to wait and see (like you did to us RM) and that's the message we sent to Martinez, who was put under the gun by Whelan to commit or move on.

Anyway, I hope that is the case. If AVB is indeed demanding those kinds of commitments, I am sure that we would make some demands in turn to protect us.

I hope you're right - I would love AVB

Norwich fans will be GUTTED to lose Lambert.

Wigan fans weren't that arsed about the thought of loosing Martinez.

I think this says a lot.

Everything I've read indicated that Wigan fans would be gutted to see RM leave but realise that its a huge possibility.

I'd take that... AVB for me but won't be gutted with PL.

Martinez to Swansea

Bruce to Wigan

Lambert to Villa

Hughton to West Brom

DiMatteo to Chelsea (short term deal)

Dowie to Blues ;)

I hope you're right - I would love AVB

AVB .... in Birmingham .... on a guaranteed extended contract .... I think he would probably slash his wrists after the first few months!

When they win the League Cup 5 times, the FA Cup 7 times, the League 7 times, the Community Shield and the Champions League then they can say they are our equals.. Until then they will never be better than us. I don't care if most of our silverware was achieved before the 90's it was still achieved and we can achieve that again..

Forget the 90's, most of it was before the 20's!

As much as I love the Villa, I don't consider a lot of our honours remotely relevant to the modern game. Anything more than 30-40 years ago is no longer relevant, even if it is nice (and it is) to have it in the history books.

When they win the League Cup 5 times, the FA Cup 7 times, the League 7 times, the Community Shield and the Champions League then they can say they are our equals.. Until then they will never be better than us. I don't care if most of our silverware was achieved before the 90's it was still achieved and we can achieve that again..

Forget the 90's, most of it was before the 20's!

As much as I love the Villa, I don't consider a lot of our honours remotely relevant to the modern game. Anything more than 30-40 years ago is no longer relevant, even if it is nice (and it is) to have it in the history books.

5th most successful club ever in the Premiership has relevancy though. How do Norwich compare?

I hope Delia says no and we we turn our attentions to somebody better than Lambert

Name some names then. Give us your ideas on who is better. AVB and Rafa might be better, but will they realistically come here?

who knows if they would come. I doubt they have even been asked, Martinez is way above Lambert IMO and so to is Quique Sanchez Flores. Rafa is a good shout but it depends on Lerners backing.

Lambert is a bit meh to me and I cant say im over keen to watch his style of play. I am also concerned that defensivly Norwich were awful and conceeded a whopping 66 goals. I also find that Lambert comes across as a bit of an arse in his interviews and I can some personality clashes happening if he was to join. He reminds me of Peter Grant which is never a good thing.