General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Dave Whelan again on about avfc not being big enough? More like Randy told him to do one you prat after being up Liverpools ass!

I quite like the way Villa don't respond to the likes of Whelan but I think, on this occasion, I wish they would come out and tell Whelan to STFU. I hope any press conference unveiling (hopefully) Paul Lambert, they DO say that PL was always number one choice and that Martinez had his chance last year and was not a serious contender this time around. Personally, I think the guy lacks guts. He cannot fail at Wigan as they are such a small club that anything above the bottom three is seen as a minor miracle. Even if they get relegated, it's almost expected. Decent enough Manager but Wigan are welcome to him.

I've met Martinez before, had quigte a long chat with him. He's a top guy who lives for football. If we did approach him and he chose to stay at Wigan though, it does make you question his ambition...again, that is a big IF!

Dave Whelan again on about avfc not being big enough? More like Randy told him to do one you prat after being up Liverpools ass!

I quite like the way Villa don't respond to the likes of Whelan but I think, on this occasion, I wish they would come out and tell Whelan to I think I need to lie down and drink a camomile tea. I hope any press conference unveiling (hopefully) Paul Lambert, they DO say that PL was always number one choice and that Martinez had his chance last year and was not a serious contender this time around. Personally, I think the guy lacks guts. He cannot fail at Wigan as they are such a small club that anything above the bottom three is seen as a minor miracle. Even if they get relegated, it's almost expected. Decent enough Manager but Wigan are welcome to him.

I was just about to post something very similar about RM. He's a good manager and I think he could have done a decent job for us but I think he has definitely proved himself to be small time. Yes he spoke to Liverpool but Whelan could hardly stop him as he was 3,000 miles away. I would guess we wanted to speak to him but were denied access which smacks to me of RM not having the guts to stand up to Whelan.

The bottom line is he stays at Wigan on no better terms for him or his team which if you believe the media was one of his gripes. Seemingly he's never been allowed to talk to the media himself and has let Whelan go round making crass and often completely untrue statements like he's been offered the Liverpool job which was then denied by them.

Lacks guts for me so despite his obvious talents as a manager and I think he would have been a good fit for us I'm glad he's decided to stay small time and I suspect that will be his career in management....small time.

I've met Martinez before, had quigte a long chat with him. He's a top guy who lives for football. If we did approach him and he chose to stay at Wigan though, it does make you question his ambition...again, that is a big IF!

Yeah I do wonder about that, there comes a time when you need to step up. I highly doubt that he will jump from a job like Wigan, to a job with one of the top 4 or 5 teams unless he has won something with Wigan or competing in the top half of the table. Something which he has shown no signs of doing as yet.

I'm not bothered that Martinez has ruled himself out of the Villa job, as I've always had doubts in my head about him, mainly because he has overseen a few pastings in his time at Wigan. If he had managed to keep Wigan mid to top half for a season or two then I may have felt a bit more confident about him.

I would guess we wanted to speak to him but were denied access which smacks to me of RM not having the guts to stand up to Whelan.

According to Whelan (I know...) he was given permission to speak to us, whether any speaking went on is another matter.

I've often wondered about that.

Does it show ambition to leave and go to a bigger club?

Or does it show ambition to stay and make something more of your current situation?

Now substitute Martinez for Milner. Or Young. Or Barry. Still think the same?

I quite like the way Villa don't respond to the likes of Whelan but I think, on this occasion, I wish they would come out and tell Whelan to I think I need to lie down and drink a camomile tea.

Yeh, that would really rock him - I'll bet camomile tea is banned in Wigan! :lol:

If we did approach him and he chose to stay at Wigan though, it does make you question his ambition...again, that is a big IF!

It is a big IF.

It may also make someone question our club's ambition rather than his.

Does Whelan ever give it a rest ?

Sadly not, he makes Doug Ellis look a shy and retiring type.

Villa not big enough, but Wigan are. Yeah right Dave, keep kidding yourself and your fans. :lol:

Villa not big enough, but Wigan are. Yeah right Dave, keep kidding yourself and your fans. :lol:

Wigan has fans?

Wigan has fans?

I think his name is Steve.

Wigan has fans?

I think his name is Steve.

:lol: