General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

So it looks like RM had a couple of chances to go to bigger clubs and he has missed the buss on both. :)

I'm not a fan of RM & this does on the face of it shout unambitious however I think take money & compo aside he's played a smarter game than Rodgers who I doubt will last long at Liverpool

The ex players Lawro Hansen etc have already sharpened their knives

I think lambert suits our style more.. Not sure about martinez, how would he handle the big ego's Dunne,Collins,Warnock,Ireland.. I suppose he handled N'zog well.. But I just think Lambert's counter attack style suits Villa better..
What does this even mean? Why do we have to forever have this counter-attacking tag? We all know it has severe limitations. I for one am tired of it and would love to see passing football down VP.

god whelan is doing my head in. just shut up you old fool

we dont want martinez, lamberts the man the fans and our owner wants so stop talking about martinez like he is some kind of god all he has done is keep you up by a couple points. big deal

I've met Martinez before, had quigte a long chat with him. He's a top guy who lives for football. If we did approach him and he chose to stay at Wigan though, it does make you question his ambition...again, that is a big IF!

I met him too when Swansea played my local side Horsham in the second round of the FA Cup, he is a total gentleman and showed total respect to the club (unlike the likes of AFC Wimbledon whilst making their way up the divisions, but that's a different story). Whatever happened, Whelan is a gobshite who must make things incredibly hard for Martinez. I hope RM continues to exceed expectations playing good football and keeping them in the division.

As for Lambert I am delighted and is just the right type of manager for us all to get behind. Just get the contract signed plz.

I think lambert suits our style more.. Not sure about martinez, how would he handle the big ego's Dunne,Collins,Warnock,Ireland.. I suppose he handled N'zog well.. But I just think Lambert's counter attack style suits Villa better..
What does this even mean? Why do we have to forever have this counter-attacking tag? We all know it has severe limitations. I for one am tired of it and would love to see passing football down VP.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I would love to see lovely Passing football.. And if Lambert can get us playing that, then great lol.. But Passing Possession football also has its limitations, just ask Barca when they played chelsea ;) ,

So yeah don't get me wrong, I would love to see Villa playing Beautiful Passing fluid football, and if lambert can bring that, I won't complain....But I would be more than Happy to get rid of the Counter Attacking Tag...But possession and passing also has its limitations. What ever Lambert brings to Villa will be an improvement on the Defensive shitty tactics of the Last manager..

Yeah don't get me wrong, I would love to see lovely Passing football.. And if Lambert can get us playing that, then great lol.. But Passing Possession football also has its limitations, just ask Barca when they played chelsea ;) ,

So yeah don't get me wrong, I would love to see Villa playing Beautiful Passing fluid football, and if lambert can bring that, I won't complain....But I would be more than Happy to get rid of the Counter Attacking Tag...But possession and passing also has its limitations. What ever Lambert brings to Villa will be an improvement on the Defensive shitty tactics of the Last manager..

I never said I wanted us to go to extremes and be like Barcelona, I just want us to get rid of this counter-attacking tag. It has far more limitations than possession football. All the top teams use the ball. We never do.

I never said I wanted us to go to extremes and be like Barcelona, I just want us to get rid of this counter-attacking tag. It has far more limitations than possession football. All the top teams use the ball. We never do.

Yeah agreed, I would defiantly like our players to have more ball retention than we did last season.. And I think Lambert will bring that to our players that have been starved of the ball by AM tactics...But that does make sense, hopefully Lambert can come in and give our players some Confidence on the ball, to just slow the play down and string some passes together..

I'd just be happy to have a manager who actually tries to win every game, home or away.

Sorry, style is important to me, and I won't simply sacrifice it to grind out results.

Getting back to winning ways is important in the sense that we shouldn't be in a relegation battle next season. But more important than simply climbing the table straight away is a manager who'll come on and lay the foundations for a successful side for many years to come, even if that means an up and down start for them.

I like Martinez a lot as a man and a manager. And i'd love to see Wigan relegated if he wasn't in charge of them

But as it looks like he is I can only hope they continue to stay up

The game needs more managers with his style/philosophy

Sorry, style is important to me, and I won't simply sacrifice it to grind out results.

Good. You'll like Lambert then.

Getting back to winning ways is important in the sense that we shouldn't be in a relegation battle next season. But more important than simply climbing the table straight away is a manager who'll come on and lay the foundations for a successful side for many years to come, even if that means an up and down start for them.

Any what "style" would you prefer?

If we did talk to Martinez last week I wonder what is was about the Villa package that he didn't like? There's no DOF, he would have had oversight of all football related matters, training facilities to die for including the indoor facilities that DW has agreed to build to keep him at Wigan. Money might be tighter at Villa these days but surely not as tight as the Wigan budget.

After OGS and now apparently RM have decided that AVFC is not for them, are Villa really such a poor option, or are we just failing to do a decent job of selling ourselves to prospective managers.

If we did talk to Martinez last week I wonder what is was about the Villa package that he didn't like? There's no DOF, he would have had oversight of all football related matters, training facilities to die for including the indoor facilities that DW has agreed to build to keep him at Wigan. Money might be tighter at Villa these days but surely not as tight as the Wigan budget.

After OGS and now apparently RM have decided that AVFC is not for them, are Villa really such a poor option, or are we just failing to do a decent job of selling ourselves to prospective managers.

Not sure where you're getting your info from but OGS wasnt offered the job and Martinez approached us, not the other way around and so also wasnt given the opportunity to turn the job down.