General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

f this is the first contact made to lambert or norwich then lerner and faulkner are absolute fools, this should have been done the day mcleish was fired! lets hope lambert says yes and isnt put off by not being approached sooner

Agree.

Maybe we're doing them a disservice, and they've put the spadework in in a very diligent and hush hush manner over the past few weeks.

But if one club could make a complete pigs ear of this, it's us!

When they win the League Cup 5 times, the FA Cup 7 times, the League 7 times, the Community Shield and the Champions League then they can say they are our equals.. Until then they will never be better than us. I don't care if most of our silverware was achieved before the 90's it was still achieved and we can achieve that again..

Forget the 90's, most of it was before the 20's!

As much as I love the Villa, I don't consider a lot of our honours remotely relevant to the modern game. Anything more than 30-40 years ago is no longer relevant, even if it is nice (and it is) to have it in the history books.

I think it is relevant. It's etched in the soul of the club. What's the point of even trying if it wont be remembered or consigned to history in the name of the modern-day, FIFA-playing, glory-hunting fan? It's something to be proud of.

Discounting that for a moment, Villa are one of only half a dozen teams to have played every Premiership season albeit with moderate success in recent times - but certainly more than the large majority.

So on that basis, whether you want to look at it from a more historical point of view or even up to the present day - last season was an oddity in the grand scheme of things.

Which ever way you decide to consider it from, we're still far bigger than **** Norwich.

When they win the League Cup 5 times, the FA Cup 7 times, the League 7 times, the Community Shield and the Champions League then they can say they are our equals.. Until then they will never be better than us. I don't care if most of our silverware was achieved before the 90's it was still achieved and we can achieve that again..

As much as I love the Villa, I don't consider a lot of our honours remotely relevant to the modern game. Anything more than 30-40 years ago is no longer relevant, even if it is nice (and it is) to have it in the history books.

maybe he meant 1890s :lol:

We shared the 'Charity' Shield with Spurs we didn't win it, and you seem to have overlooked Villa won the European Super Cup and the Intertoto Cup...Do your homework on Villa's history before you make a bold statement, it saves embarrassment.

5th most successful club ever in the Premiership has relevancy though. How do Norwich compare?

It doesnt have relevance at all.

People keep bangin on about this stat.

No one remembers the 5th placed team from season to season, never mind over an average of 20 seasons.

Yes were bigger than Norwich but at this very moment were very mediocre ourselves.

If you want to ignore everything before the 20's (and that is normally the depths that the Bitter Birds and SHA desperados have to resort to) there is still the little matter of a league title, an FA Cup, five League Cups and an EC. Still far more than most clubs outside of the very elite.

Why did Ramsey, Rinder and McGregor lay the foundations for all that success if our fans can't take pride in it?

Also: there has only been about three decades (four, counting this one -so far) in our long history where we haven't won at least one major trophy. Nowt against Norwich and the like, but that might indicate we are just a wee bit bigger than them. Maybe.

Some dude on Twitter is saying that PL has resigned... seems to me like he is wanting exposure... unless we asked NCFC about speaking to PL and they said no... so he then resigns...

DAMN IT... I'm feeding his need for exposure!! :@

I would be very happy with Lambert.

I was at Carrow Rd and granted we were poor but what impressed me most about Norwich was their movement off the ball. It's something that has been an achilles heel for us for a couple of seasons, without the ball we are very static - Gabby being the biggest culprit for me.

Lambert has experience of playing in a european league, has played under good coaches and is tactically astute enough to have a plan B and C if plan A isn't working. Okay he may not be revolutionary as other candidates but he's less of a risk and after the turmoil of the last 2 seasons i'd be more than happy with steady progress under a bright, ambitious manager like him.

5th most successful club ever in the Premiership has relevancy though. How do Norwich compare?

No one remembers the 5th placed team from season to season, never mind over an average of 20 seasons.

Yes were bigger than Norwich but at this very moment were very mediocre ourselves.

In a debate about which is the bigger club (Villa or Norwich) it would appear totally relevant to me.

f this is the first contact made to lambert or norwich then lerner and faulkner are absolute fools, this should have been done the day mcleish was fired! lets hope lambert says yes and isnt put off by not being approached sooner

Agree.

Maybe we're doing them a disservice, and they've put the spadework in in a very diligent and hush hush manner over the past few weeks.

But if one club could make a complete pigs ear of this, it's us!

Perhaps we did make contact shortly after sacking TSM! And perhaps he (PL) said come back at the end of the month, there's a few loose ends to tie up so I don't leave NCFC in sh1te when I leave. We just don't know, and critising the club is a little disingenuous.

You've just completely contradicted yourself. Of course it's relevant - if it weren't for this fact Norwich fans might actually have a basis to what they're saying if you discount anything before the Premier League.

Grant Holt just retweeted

TEAMtalk ‏@TEAMtalk

#AVFC have made #Norwich boss Paul Lambert their No 1 target and will make an official approach in next 24 hours: http://bit.ly/KZMGC5 #NCFC

Retweeted by grant holt

Why would he retweet that? Does he know it's true or?

I was at Carrow Rd and granted we were poor but what impressed me most about Norwich was their movement off the ball. It's something that has been an achilles heel for us for a couple of seasons, without the ball we are very static - Gabby being the biggest culprit for me.

Lambert has experience of playing in a european league, has played under good coaches and is tactically astute enough to have a plan B and C if plan A isn't working. Okay he may not be revolutionary as other candidates but he's less of a risk and after the turmoil of the last 2 seasons i'd be more than happy with steady progress under a bright, ambitious manager like him.

Lambert has experience playing in another major european league and

... Come on dude don't leave me hanging!!

After two seasons in which, for whatever reasons, the squad MON built up has been torn apart (although if you still want to see it, it s midfield plays for England) we really need someone with the same clarity of vision and purpose who can build his own team with a clear view of how they will play winning football.
Shame the defence hasn't been torn apart! They're bloody useless.
Well, they've got rid of Cuellar - will that make you happier? :winkold:

Seriously, this is why the last two years have been so utterly awful. Sold off all our best players and kept the fading ones. What sort of dumb-ass strategy is that?

The problem is our best players all wanted to leave when bigger/richer clubs came in for them. We also had a huge wage problem which is partly (but by no means fully) down to O'Neill, although I know you won't admit this.

Lambert has experience playing in another major european league and

... Come on dude don't leave me hanging!!

Sorry dude beer and laptop = bad combo !