General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

VillaBromsgrove, RM was on our list but RM was awaiting developments from Liverpool hence a snippet being fed to the press we ain't waiting on Liverpool to find a new manager, we went on with Lambert, RM then knew he wasn't getting the Anfield job so he decided to contact Randy who was told in polite terms we've moved on!

Martinez approached us, not the other way around and so also wasnt given the opportunity to turn the job down.

How do you know this Maz?

I know from a few reliable sources but its been reported recently anyway.

Sorry, style is important to me, and I won't simply sacrifice it to grind out results.

Getting back to winning ways is important in the sense that we shouldn't be in a relegation battle next season. But more important than simply climbing the table straight away is a manager who'll come on and lay the foundations for a successful side for many years to come, even if that means an up and down start for them.

Any what "style" would you prefer?

Positive passing football.

I think Lambert seems to do the positive, and sometimes the passing. I think Martinez does both, and I had more faith in him to lay solid foundations for us. I'm not unhappy with Lambert at all though, and I'll certainly get behind him and give him time (in a way that I might not have for Houllier and McLeish for various reasons.)

Lambert is more in the positive passing winning category. Martinez at Wigan has been positive and passing. Now at Villa I would have expected him to be winning more than at Wigan, but with Lambert I think there's no risk at all. He's an outstanding acquisition provided we can seal the deal.

If we did talk to Martinez last week I wonder what is was about the Villa package that he didn't like? There's no DOF, he would have had oversight of all football related matters, training facilities to die for including the indoor facilities that DW has agreed to build to keep him at Wigan. Money might be tighter at Villa these days but surely not as tight as the Wigan budget.

After OGS and now apparently RM have decided that AVFC is not for them, are Villa really such a poor option, or are we just failing to do a decent job of selling ourselves to prospective managers.

Not sure where you're getting your info from but OGS wasnt offered the job and Martinez approached us, not the other way around and so also wasnt given the opportunity to turn the job down.

You're right, but both effectively put themselves out of contention for an offer if it was to be made. They may well have both realised that they were never going to get the job, but if that's the case it makes the wait before approaching Lambert surprising. (that's if we are now going to talk to PL)

Lambert is more in the positive passing winning category. Martinez at Wigan has been positive and passing. Now at Villa I would have expected him to be winning more than at Wigan, but with Lambert I think there's no risk at all. He's an outstanding acquisition provided we can seal the deal.

Agreed, just hope randy doesn't screw this up.. We all know what he is capable of lol.

we don't actually have a style at the moment though, do we? We have essentially a blank slate as the MON squads are almost completely gone now (minus the back four, who are on their way out soon enough).

I do think we have the players to play a flexible retention and counter attacking style, based on the opponent, which seems to favor Lambert approach. Ireland, NZog, Gardner, Carruthers, these are all players comfortable with the ball at their feet and passing, but can be direct as well, and with Bent and Weimann also being able to make runs for through balls, or play on the shoulder and get into the box for crosses.

We just need some defenders that are more comfortable on the ball, but Clark, Lichaj, maybe Stevens and Baker in the future might be able to play that way.

So this I assume is how events unfolded

Week One

- McLeish Sacked

- Feelers put out for managers, informal chats

- Press only found out about OGS

Week Two

- OGS rules himself out

- Interview the managers who were interested

Week Three

- Randy arrives Tuesday evening

- Randy & Paul decided Paul Lambert is the right man on Wednesday

- Paul Lambert offers resignation on Wednesday night

- Norwich board decline as they know he is talking to Villa and want compo

I assume the only thing left is for Villa to agree a deal for compensation (Lamberts yearly salary (rolling contract) and maybe his backroom staff?)

Not big enough for Roberto Martinez?! I hope Wigan go down and stay down.

I dont. we usually do okay at the dw and its a nice cheap easy to get to.away game. the pies are good and we get a big away allocation.

That for me overides the fact dave whelan is a word removed

:lol:

Sorry, style is important to me, and I won't simply sacrifice it to grind out results.

Getting back to winning ways is important in the sense that we shouldn't be in a relegation battle next season. But more important than simply climbing the table straight away is a manager who'll come on and lay the foundations for a successful side for many years to come, even if that means an up and down start for them.

Results, Results, Results - that's all that matters for me next season... Let's get re-established in the top 6, then style can come...