General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I have to say I am struggling with loads of posters lambasting the board for not having made an appointment. We need to make an appointmment this week apparently and seemingly the process is going wrong if we do not. Is that just anyone or is it the right appointment?

To me the appointment of the right manager this time is absolutely critical. I suspect privately they know that both Houllier and MCLeish were mistakes albeit for different reasons hence the care being taken this time.

If the board are conducting their search relatively privately so much the better. For me at least the Liverpool search now has the touch of pantomime about it fuelled by the increasingly hysterical outbursts from Dave Whelan. Good on Villa for keeping it low profile OGS was kept very quiet and I suspect could have remained so longer had his name not been leaked on here. Just because the fans have not heard anything does not mean that nothing is happening.

As for the observations that we are waiting to see what Liverpool are doing is that not a statement of completely obvious? Three, maybe four if you include Chelsea, premiership clubs are looking for managers. Some of the managers who we are interested in will also be interested in say the Liverpool job and any manager with any sense is going to look at all his options. These guys are not fans of the clubs they manage, they are professional managers who will look at both the club and the offer on the table before making a decision.

As I said above I'm sure the board is acutely aware of the need to get the right manager that will fit the aspirations of the club and ideally be someone that the fans will readily support and buy into. That's quite a tall order anyway but that has been further complicated by PF's comments on the type of manager they want. Whether those comments were based on the believe they were going to get OGS we don't know but overall its quite a specific brief hence why its taking time.

Like everyone I would like to see someone appointed soon but that really does have to be the right appointment and if that takes time so be it.

Sorry it may be just me but not sure there is anything in either of the two posts there from "MYSTERYMAN" that is new or to get excited about save from the fact that he has had a holiday in Vegas

If you think about it why would Paul Lambert or AVB, or even Rafa take so long to do a deal, with PL we'd obviously need to negotiate a fee with Norwich but no one else is interested, so if he wanted to come, we could do it, as for the other two they are out of work, shouldn't be a big deal to try and get something done. Martinez on the other hand has Liverpool and his Grandad fighting over him, so it seems we are waiting to pounce, having spoken to his agents, we sort of know what he wants but he's waiting to know his options with Liverpool. Not ITK just my opinion!

Just back from Vegas Gabby in same hotel some of the lads asked him who he thought it would be and he replied with Poyet . We asked based on what he said just a hunch thinking it wouldn't be one of the mainstream . He said I know I havent had a great season ( Understatement ) but said just want someone to come in who will play to benefit the strikers .

In a nutshell players don't know because GG saying Grayson to people and Bent saying Lambert , thing is none of us know :!:

Cheers for the info as always MM. From what you know, or have seen, would you say that the board are acting confidently and the lack of info available is because things are actually going to plan, or would you say the lack of info is more due to them struggling to line up their targets?

What I know for Fact is they have a Main Target and then least 2 options .

McCarthy was never an option or contacted :!:

They have already interviewed people behind closed doors :!: .

They thought with OGS that it was part of the process and wanted it low key but the plane stopped that and that made it look as if there was far more to it other than him being an option .

The part not clarified was if he was the main target ( I now don't think he was ) I wanted him but then again I wanted Hoddle aswell and that wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular .

They are still adamant they will get the right man and understand why WE are concerned after the AM debacle .

I am being told to expect twists and turns and the unexpected whatever that means :?:

Great... The last time we were shocked we were stuck with mcleish or mclaren. I dont want grayson nor do i want hoddle either. Poyet or lambert please :D

Sorry it may be just me but not sure there is anything in either of the two posts there from "MYSTERYMAN" that is new or to get excited about save from the fact that he has had a holiday in Vegas

Your right don't know anymore than I did last week and that wasn't a fat lot either just posted what I know is correct

I may be completely wrong on this one............

I still have a sneaky feeling as MM knows that we might be after Moyes again - there's been a few rumours he ain't happy eminating from Merseyside because best players are to be sold and looking at EFC's finances - they are always in the crappers - DM hasn't got that long left on his current contract neither - so the compensation will come in nicely. Unless Kenwright gets some investmenT , I can see him leaving at some point. There was even talk a week or so ago of LFC being after him but that's NEVER gonna happen! It would be like a McLeish Mk 2.

This said maybe Moyes will stay with EFC waiting on Man U job though in a couple of years?

Alot of the managers are currently on hols & I managed to track down via twitter where Moyes was until a day or so ago - he was playing Golf in Naples nr Miami, Florida. The US guy had no idea who he was at first but then he tweeted that he'd just played with the manager of a soccer team in Scotland UK called Everton! So I think it was genuine because he obviously has no idea!

That's the other point to all this .... many of the managers are on end of season holidays at mo as are the players - so this factor will probably have delayed matters also.

I think Villa are defo after a Number 1 choice for manager - however they are being prudent and looking at a fair few Plan B's, while negotiations go on in the background. Hence why so many names have been linked. MM has confirmed OGS was never the main target - just one of the options.

Also I wondered that they may want someone like Grayson to assist because the manager won't be able to bring his coaching staff with him because they're needed at his present club. Hence the rumours.

Anyhow just my musings on all the goings on & the intel being gathered.

2 bits of ITK over the past week that we're in for Lambert and he will be at least interviewed this week.

Someone else is absolutely certain it's Poyet and has put quite a bit of dosh on him.

RDM is keen but waiting on CFC.

ITK claims Grayson is the choice.

Martinez?... ask Dave Whelan!

In other words no one has a flipping clue what's gonna happen next!

well, the man i really wanted (never would have happened) zeman, is off to roma in a few hours it seems.

in a way it's good they are taking their time with this, although if they'd have struck quickly i think we'd have got OGS, because hopefully they are soreading their net a bit wider and making sure we get the right man.

at least i hope that's true!

I still have a sneaky feeling as MM knows that we might be after Moyes again - there's been a few rumours he ain't happy eminating from Merseyside because best players are to be sold and looking at EFC's finances - they are always in the crappers

With all due respect, where would that be different at VP ?

many of the managers are on end of season holidays at mo as are the players - so this factor will probably have delayed matters also.

It has not stopped RM talking to Plop and it would not stop a club and manager talking about a professional appointment.

Weird scenario yesterday - AVB was in Rome talking to the club, while Zeman's associates were discussing a contract with other members of the board. It looks like it's between those two for the position. However, Zeman is the fan favourite to take that job; he is respected by the players (well, most importantly, Totti!) and plays very attacking football. I get a really sneaky feeling that if Zeman takes the Roma job AVB might then be on our radar.

Another bit of goss is that Paul Lambert is actually only on a 12 month rolling contract at NCFC - if that's true he could be free to leave anytime soon. Hence why talk we're interviewing him THIS week possibly and not before.

From last years Mirror article about him signing a new contract 25/05/2011

"Asked about the vague nature of the announcement and whether his new deal was a long-term contract or still a rolling 12-month deal, Lambert said on Sky Sports News: "I think that's the way it is at the minute. My job is to get players in to give the current group a hand and that's what I'll try to do."

reports over here are that all that is missing is signature and it's a done deal for zeman, didn't know AVB was over here!

avb would be more suited to a job in italy i think though at the moment and then go for a crack at the big time again after getting his stock back up. he could try and do that with us but he wouldn't have the resources or squad that he'd have had with roma so would be a lot more difficult. then again if he got us top 6 and playing decent footy he'd be in demand again from the big names.

we really need our own zeman though! someone a bit enigmatic and mad, who plays crazy entertaining football :) we'd fill VP every week!

Please not Grayson. He is not good enough, having been sacked by a Championship club, and there are other reasons he is not right for Villa too. In fact Lee Clark is another I wouldn't touch with a barge pole because of similar issues.