General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

i dont think RDM is as bad as some make out. rodgers flopped in his first management job but look at him now? so RDM didnt do great at west brom but how can anyone ignore a cup double? madness

the guy beat barceloan for godness sake and won them CL something not even mourinho couldnt do. would much rather have him than martinez whose best achievement is keeping wigan up in the last 5 games

RDM isnt my first choice but to rule him out completely is foolish considering the position we are in, we are not a top 6 club anymore unfortunately :(

I hear what you are saying about beating Barcelona but did you see the tactics he used to do that? It was like a scene from Custers last stand. 10 men in the box. After McNegative last year we need something more exciting to bring fans back.

I want to see us go out and attack the 'elite' teams like the 2-2 against Man Utd under Houllier and I worry that DiMatteo would be tempted to employ negative tactics instead.

i dont think RDM is as bad as some make out. rodgers flopped in his first management job but look at him now? so RDM didnt do great at west brom but how can anyone ignore a cup double? madness

the guy beat barceloan for godness sake and won them CL something not even mourinho couldnt do. would much rather have him than martinez whose best achievement is keeping wigan up in the last 5 games

RDM isnt my first choice but to rule him out completely is foolish considering the position we are in, we are not a top 6 club anymore unfortunately :(

I hear what you are saying about beating Barcelona but did you see the tactics he used to do that? It was like a scene from Custers last stand. 10 men in the box. After McNegative last year we need something more exciting to bring fans back.

I want to see us go out and attack the 'elite' teams like the 2-2 against Man Utd under Houllier and I worry that DiMatteo would be tempted to employ negative tactics instead.

What a ridiculous argument, HELLO! HE BEAT BARCELONA! WITH 10 MEN!

It baffles me it really does, a guy who has just won the european cup gets less support than a guy with one season in norway.

What a ridiculous argument, HELLO! HE BEAT BARCELONA!

It baffles me it really does, a guy who has just won the european cup gets less support than a guy with one seaosn in norway.

Because he uses **** boring anti-football tactics.

It baffles me it really does, a guy who has just won the european cup gets less support than a guy with one season in norway.

He was successful because he had a short term goal there, to abandon any idea of moving the club forward before the end of the season, reintegrate the old guard and win some matches. He did this by playing a horrible brand of football that I would hope never to see at Villa Park again.

And it's not even as if results for Villa would be guranteed playing that way. Doing it with a very expensive Chelsea side is incredibly different to doing it with the current Villa side.

No to the 2 Roberto's

I will be gutted if either is approached

I wouldn't be gutted with either. RDM is in the Meh group for me , not the gutted group.

You also have to be realistic about where we are as a club, that controls the degree of guttedness.

For me the groups are

Gutted Group

Strachan, Mcarthy, Grayson, Clark, Holloway, Withe, Bruce, Bradley, Ince, Grant, Mcallister, Southgate, Wlater Smith, Neil Lennon, Mclaren, Roy Keane, KMAC, John Gregory, Mcoist

Meh Group

RDM, Bentiez, Curbishley, Hoddle, Hughton, Sven, Klinsmann, Zola, Ranieri

Yes I'd take these group

Lambert, Adkins, Martinez, Poyet, Avb, Brendan Rodgers, Di Canio, Moyes, Bilic, Rijkaard, Capello

I agree completely with this richard.. & the thing is there are a lot of options which i think most Villa fans would be happy with.

I think Gus Poyet fits RL's criteria perfectly. Cheap and easy to get with potential. Cant imagine him turning Villa down either so no risk of being embarrassed yet again. IMO if we have no money we could do worse.

Poyet being interviewed today by any change? :D

RDM was a failure at Baggies. He fancies himself as some high-powered managerial superstar. He would probably take the job and spend the whole time thinking it was beneath him. He has no record of doing anything decent in the transfer market. His Chelsea team did well in the CL because as a group they were desperate to win the European Cup before their collective rapidly advancing age caught up with them. In the Premier League his record with Chelsea was worse than his sacked predecessor. No thanks.

No thanks to RDM. Avram Grant nearly won the CL with Chelsea and look what happened to him. It was not RDM that won it for them but the senior "pro's" that AVB was instructed to sack off as soon as possible...resulting in his eventual sacking.

I do want this to end now though as we are in danger of slipping back into the "joke of a club" status we seemed to occupy for most of last season.

AVB, Lambert or Martinez (in that order) for me.

All these links for Grayson, RDM, GMAC, KMAC will only end up with us going down.

RL & PF need to get a move on and start acting like the owner and CEO of a BIG club.

You could have gone into that game in charge and done that! he had the team and got them to park the bus! God I hope RL and PF dont think like you.

No to the 2 Roberto's

I will be gutted if either is approached

I wouldn't be gutted with either. RDM is in the Meh group for me , not the gutted group.

You also have to be realistic about where we are as a club, that controls the degree of guttedness.

For me the groups are

Gutted Group

Strachan, Mcarthy, Grayson, Clark, Holloway, Withe, Bruce, Bradley, Ince, Grant, Mcallister, Southgate, Wlater Smith, Neil Lennon, Mclaren, Roy Keane, KMAC, John Gregory, Mcoist

Meh Group

RDM, Bentiez, Curbishley, Hoddle, Hughton, Sven, Klinsmann, Zola, Ranieri

Yes I'd take these group

Lambert, Adkins, Martinez, Poyet, Avb, Brendan Rodgers, Di Canio, Moyes, Bilic, Rijkaard, Capello

I agree completely with this richard.. & the thing is there are a lot of options which i think most Villa fans would be happy with.

Personally I don't rate Martinez - and think Curbishley could do an 'Alan Pardew' style job for us.

That said Martinez is highly rated in the game - so I think it be significantly better than the last 2 appointments.

Overall Richards lists is close to what I think. Fax it to Lerner !

He was successful because he had a short term goal there, to abandon any idea of moving the club forward before the end of the season, reintegrate the old guard and win some matches. He did this by playing a horrible brand of football that I would hope never to see at Villa Park again.

And it's not even as if results for Villa would be guranteed playing that way. Doing it with a very expensive Chelsea side is incredibly different to doing it with the current Villa side.

He didn`t play that way in the league, he did it in the european cup, which he won.

He also played good football at west brom.

But i can already tell the popular opinion on here is not based around any type of logic.

I think Gus Poyet fits RL's criteria perfectly. Cheap and easy to get with potential. Cant imagine him turning Villa down either so no risk of being embarrassed yet again. IMO if we have no money we could do worse.

Poyet being interviewed today by any change? :D

Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret

Just arrived at Stamford Bridge to play for Cystic Fibrosis v MPs. Alas Gus Poyet no show. Come on @GaryLineker Still time

:clap:

The rebuff from OGS is a real blow IMHO

Not only that we didnt get him worse still is the message it sends out

What decent manager will come knowing we've been knocked back by not only the Wigan and probably Norwich manager

But now also the Molde manager

It sends out all the wrong signals

That doesn't make sense.

We havent officially offered the job to anyone, so how anyone can turn it down makes no sense.

Southgate ruled himself out too last night too, that mean he has turned us down too?

Re RDM

Exactly. And had a huge slice of luck with a penalty miss in each game. He's obviously a decent man manager. He united the squad and gave the old guard their head for one last huurah and got very, very lucky. In my mind there is no way that that demonstrates the necessary ability to turn round a massively underperforming Villa with a frankly very poor squad.

The rebuff from OGS is a real blow IMHO

Not only that we didnt get him worse still is the message it sends out

What decent manager will come knowing we've been knocked back by not only the Wigan and probably Norwich manager

But now also the Molde manager

It sends out all the wrong signals

That doesn't make sense.

We havent officially offered the job to anyone, so how anyone can turn it down makes no sense.

Southgate ruled himself out too last night too, that mean he has turned us down too?

Dont know. Did we speak to Southgate at all about the role , what it entails and what tools he would get ?

Right a summary from a Wigan forum on what the Wigan Evening Post's main sports story is:

Basically Whelan says Roberto is in Barbados till next Tuesday, he comes back to this country for a week then he is off to the Euros to work for ITV. He wants an answer before then. And, Villa are interested again.

What I get from it is, Martinez won't be going anywhere, its just Whelan trying to string it out for as long as possible for attention, like he did last time.