General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Sorry if you've answered this question previously in the thread Richard, but who would you like as manager?

Or who are your choices in order of preference?

Answered a couple of times but here you go, my full "groupings"

No to the 2 Roberto's

I will be gutted if either is approached

I wouldn't be gutted with either. RDM is in the Meh group for me , not the gutted group.

You also have to be realistic about where we are as a club, that controls the degree of guttedness.

For me the groups are

Gutted Group

Strachan, Mcarthy, Grayson, Clark, Holloway, Withe, Bruce, Bradley, Ince, Grant, Mcallister, Southgate, Wlater Smith, Neil Lennon, Mclaren, Roy Keane, KMAC, John Gregory, Mcoist

Meh Group

RDM, Bentiez, Curbishley, Hoddle, Hughton, Sven, Klinsmann, Zola, Ranieri

Yes I'd take these group

Lambert, Adkins, Martinez, Poyet, Avb, Brendan Rodgers, Di Canio, Moyes, Bilic, Rijkaard, Capello

And I think for an order in terms of the I'd take these for the top three would be

Lambert

Adkins

Martinez

TBF to Martinez he has had to pick up the pieces after seeing his best player/s sold for big dosh every summer...

And he has turned up some decent players AND got them playing great stuff at the DWB

Valencia, Palacios..... N'Zogbia

It's the defending I'd worry about.... but honestly... could it get much worse than Dunne, Collins et al this season??!!

Is anyone else starting to get the feeling of shambles, scramble and farce that gradually took over our manager hunt last year?
Started yesterday afternoon for me

The bit I don't get is that we have spent a month on doing "due dilligence" on candidates and coming up with a critera for the manager we want and we have come up with Martinez. Would it not have been easier to read last years notes on him and stop wasting time?

What's the problem with being interested in Roberto Martinez? Genuine question.

Because he's a crap manager for 90% of the season. Genuine answer

Why are Liverpool interested in a "crap manager?"

because their crap. But honestly if we got Martinez, I would be bloody delighted, I realised he's actually a year younger than OGS! Look at the comparative experience.

RM was my first choice last year, and first choice again this time round. Let's hope that Liverpool fans demand a bigger name.

If RM was brought in he'd without doubt be backed by the fans. In the situation that the club is in he is a the top end of who we can get, so was OGS and so is PL.

Poyet would be a very good choice,good job at Brighton and was in line to be appointed down here in Swansea before the board eventually chose Rodgers. Fits the young and vibrant image,he can be a nasty piece of work when he wants to so look out the free riders in our squad. Great player who had it all and very well connected abroad also likes to play good attractive football,personality plus as well.

Poyet would be like a breath of fresh air at our great club.

I dont think Adkins is an option this summer.

He's just secured successive promotions with Southampton I think he'll want a crack at the PL with that club before he thinks about a move on. We either need to target the guys who have had that first season ie Lambert and Rodgers, or look at the likes of Poyet who are still in the Championship if we want a young inexperienced manager.

As for Martinez, I'm undecided, might be brilliant might be horrific. Martinez's football with our current squad has disster written all over it, it will be like watching the Houllier season again. He has a pedigree of finding decent, decently priced footballers who are happy to use Wigan as a stepping stone to bigger clubs, and he'll need to repeat that with us. What I'm worried about is the scale of that task and the funds with which he'll have to achieve it.

What's the problem with being interested in Roberto Martinez? Genuine question.

Because he's a crap manager for 90% of the season. Genuine answer

Why are Liverpool interested in a "crap manager?"

because their crap. But honestly if we got Martinez, I would be bloody delighted, I realised he's actually a year younger than OGS! Look at the comparative experience.

RM was my first choice last year, and first choice again this time round. Let's hope that Liverpool fans demand a bigger name.

The same for me, OGS probably edged him for a while, but I´d be absolutley delighted if RM was our manager.

To be fair Martinez is a possibly a better man manager than GH, GH tried too much too soon, dropping players, freezing them from squads, plus we had players who knew GH, Warnock, Carew. No-one at our club apart from Charlie knows what type of man Martinez, I think he'll change things but he'll do it with players on side. Thats if he comes which is a big IF.

As for Martinez, I'm undecided, might be brilliant might be horrific. Martinez's football with our current squad has disster written all over it, it will be like watching the Houllier season again. He has a pedigree of finding decent, decently priced footballers who are happy to use Wigan as a stepping stone to bigger clubs, and he'll need to repeat that with us. What I'm worried about is the scale of that task and the funds with which he'll have to achieve it.

I have frequently heard people say the same thing but actually struggle to find an example?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’d imagine most of the players you are thinking of were signed by Wigan before Martinez got there?

Buy the way I think he would be a good choice and I think he could get a lot out of our current players.

Its all starting to sound a bit desperate tbh.. People rejecting use before we have even offered. No one wants to manage a sinking ship, apart from the obvious candidates of course..Don't mess this up Randy, any other season and we would have been playing in the championship. We got extremely lucky last season, lets not make it the norm.