General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I see a downside of McLeish being sacked...I can now see a summer of us being a (continued) laughing tock due to our inability to find a manager...much like Wolves and much like we have the past 2 summers

I genuinely believe we stand at a real pivotal point in the future of AVFC.

The hangover from the ONeill era is starting to disappear although some extra strength pain killers might be needed to remove the lingering elements. That will then put us in a position to decide on the way forward. Some have short memories and covet Paul Lambert who to me, shows many of the ONeill attributes in his tactics and style of play. Only two years ago we were complaining of the limitations of those tactics so it seems the horror show of this year has blinded us to that.

Personally, I would love us to try and break some new ground in our footballing aspirations rather than adopt an "anything is better than" approach. Football and football coaching is advancing year on year, look at Madrid v Bilbao and the level those teams achieved alongside a real progressive playing style. We have to look at that and aspire to it. That means we either gamble on an overseas coach and the potential language problems or we take somebody who is already schooled in that methodology and advocates its implementation.

To me, that leaves only two real options. Either Martinez or Brendan Rogers. The latter is my choice, but I would not be disappointed with either as long as we give them time to implement their vision and the board stands firm with the plan during its inception and progression. If we can be patient enough, we would reap the rewards.

Personally, I would love us to try and break some new ground in our footballing aspirations rather than adopt an "anything is better than" approach. Football and football coaching is advancing year on year, look at Madrid v Bilbao and the level those teams achieved alongside a real progressive playing style. We have to look at that and aspire to it. That means we either gamble on an overseas coach and the potential language problems or we take somebody who is already schooled in that methodology and advocates its implementation.

To me, that leaves only two real options. Either Martinez or Brendan Rogers. The latter is my choice, but I would not be disappointed with either as long as we give them time to implement their vision and the board stands firm with the plan during its inception and progression. If we can be patient enough, we would reap the rewards.

Strongly agree with this needed style change (Ireland and Bannan would thrive) and about Rodgers. Still not buying Martinez though. He talks up how he wants his teas to play but they dont. Rodgers has delivered. I love watching Swansea, not Wigan.

How much of the way Swansea plays is down to Martinez's legacy, and how much of it is down to Rodgers' philosophy? Has Rodgers previous teams adopted similar playing styles?

I genuinely believe we stand at a real pivotal point in the future of AVFC.

The hangover from the ONeill era is starting to disappear although some extra strength pain killers might be needed to remove the lingering elements. That will then put us in a position to decide on the way forward. Some have short memories and covet Paul Lambert who to me, shows many of the ONeill attributes in his tactics and style of play. Only two years ago we were complaining of the limitations of those tactics so it seems the horror show of this year has blinded us to that.

I think we need to show a little bit of pragmatism here. If Brendan Rodgers came in and tried to play his football with the cloggers we have at VP I think we'd stand a strong chance of being relegated. We're a poor side in terms of players and we need someone who can work with what's here as well as adding to it - for the time being at least.

FWIW I really think people have allowed their bitterness of MON's departure to cloud the fact that we had some good years under him. Weren't we second highest scorers in the league one season? We played fast, exciting football - yes on the break - but plenty of chances, plenty of goals and plenty of heart. It worked, I enjoyed it. What I didn't enjoy was MON's inability to rotate players or to come up with a different approach when things weren't working.

I think Lambert is a much, much better fit for where we are now and I hope her gets the job.

I think Lambert is a much, much better fit for where we are now and I hope her gets the job.

I can see your logic and more than that I actually agree with it.

The problem for me is that we've got rid of one problem in McLeish but another remains and that is the players.

Personally I don't much want a manager who is a better fit with these players (the senior ones) I'd rather a manager who would want rid of them.

The likes of Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton can all go as far as I'm concerned and so can Gabby and Bent if they wish while N'Zogbia should start packing now.

I agree with you that Lambert would be more suited to working with these players than Rodgers but I'd just much rather we went in a different direction as a club.

That might make next season another bumpy one but even with someone like Lambert I think this current group of players are going to struggle to do much better in any case.

I can see your logic and more than that I actually agree with it.

The problem for me is that we've got rid of one problem in McLeish but another remains and that is the players.

Personally I don't much want a manager who is a better fit with these players (the senior ones) I'd rather a manager who would want rid of them.

The likes of Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton can all go as far as I'm concerned and so can Gabby and Bent if they wish while N'Zogbia should start packing now.

I agree with you that Lambert would be more suited to working with these players than Rodgers but I'd just much rather we went in a different direction as a club.

That might make next season another bumpy one but even with someone like Lambert I think this current group of players are going to struggle to do much better in any case.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

I want a manager who will implement a more progressive style of play, even if it takes another tricky season of transition to do it.

I think Martinez is the better option than Rodgers though. Matinez has been doing it for season after season, Rodgers could still go the way of Owen Coyle or Ian Holloway, previous "flavour of the month" managers.

Fabio Capello is looking for a job and has stated a desire to manage in England. Capello has won the league title with every club he has coached including in his first five seasons as a manager winning four Serie A titles with Milan.

Forget the England shambles - I strongly believe England is a no win job.

I can't think of any one else in the world who is available and has such a proven track record at club level!