Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

God, if RL is really going to invest in the squad, i'm so glad AMC is no longer the manager.
Indeed. I would've been very pissed off if Randy went and backed McLeish in the summer. The only reason for not getting rid of him was money.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening All

One slightly gutted but still optimistic for our future Norwich fan checking in with some questions for you....

What are you expectations for next season now PL will be your manager?

What do you want to see from him?

What would cause you to lose patience or turn on him?

No agenda in asking these, just genuinely interested

Cheers in advance for your replies

KA

Evening KA.

What are you expectations for next season now PL will be your manager?

Just to win a few home games and to actually have a go will be nice. :lol: Depending on how other sides shape up and on how much we spend, mid table> 7th.

What do you want to see from him?

To go through the current squad like a dose of salts. There are some genuine pisstakers there, players who have coasted since MON's time at the club. Some might surprise us and respond, others will need to be moved on pronto. By the end of the season, I'd hope we have a shape and a way of playing that sets the platform for the next few years, with young, hungry players at the core of that.

What would cause you to lose patience or turn on him?

Believe it or not, we can be a pretty tolerant bunch. The matchgoing folk anyway. Messageboards are always a bit more reactive. In O'Neill's first season we went on a horrible run of something like one win in twenty. No calls for the tin tack. We weren't a million miles off the drop in 1994/45, a season that you probably don't recall with any degree of fondness, yet we didn't turn on Little. This is inconsistent with the perception of Villa fans, and the digs constantly vomited out by the likes Talksport, and O'Neill's golfing buddies at the Beeb and elsewhere. We weren't crazy about Houllier's constant references to his former love though, or throwing an FA Cup quarter final. McLeish went one better and actually started to throw league games on a regular basis. O'Leary -like McLeish (and Houllier to a certain extent) made disparaging remarks about our history and past successes, to mask some of their own deficiencies. So - in short- if Lambert plays to win and avoids some of the foot in mouth tendancies displayed by the above, he'll do just fine.

Its an attention seeking nobody! Jeez.

That guy called the Lambert resignation way before it was doing the rounds last night. Have an open mind rather than shooting him down straight away.

With respect, what he said last night was all over twitter.

Sorry, but I know better than to listen to someone who requests followers for updates.

Wtf? I just said that he said it way before it was announced by anyone else...which is correct, because I saw him post it.

I'm not saying he knows anything more than that. He could just be using that record in order to entice more followers for all I know. But he clearly knew what was going on last night.

Right there is contradiction now between different supposed ITK's

INCOGNITO AVFC ‏@INCOGNITOAVFC

Paul Lambert is the new manager of Aston Villa FC. Club announcement tomorrow as expected. Expect a lot of work over the Summer. #avfc

We'll see who we can supposedly trust tomorrow ;)

This thread well worth a read...

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/2733606/ShowPost.aspx#2733606

In summary..

...typical dour Scotsman in interviews with clichéd stock answers to everything. Poor with the media.

...rotates the players a lot and changes tactics and formations upto 6 times per match (how will the Holte react?)

..no experience of signing big players.

Maybe they are just bitter but there are some genuine causes for concern for me.

To be fair Lambert is no lover of the media - most of his post match interviews (particularly with the BBC & Sky) are very much the same. He also seemed to have a particular hatred for Stuart Jarrold from Sky who covered our Friday pressers and always gave him short shrift. However he seemed to develop a bit of a rapport with the BBC Local radio guy in Norwich and his interviews with him always seemed more natural

I've had the pleasure of being in his company when theres not a camera around and hes anything but a dour Scot. The bloke has stories galore & would make a great after dinner speaker one day

He does rotate a lot, more so last season that others, and I've been critical of him for that. There were times last season when he seemed to make changes to starting XI's for the sake of it and then have to change after 10/15 mins when it was clear things weren't working. That said, he always goes all out to win games, which is how we made it to the prem with something like 18 goals in the last 10 mins of games in the championship. Last season we took a couple of pastings against Man City (1-5 & 1-6) but conceded 7 goals in the last 15 mins of those games as we continued to go at them. Our fans applauded the team off after they did us 1-6 at home, not sure whether that would happen at VP!!

He hasnt had any experience of signing big players, but he's played with world class players at Dortmund (admits himself he was the worst player in the dressing room) and learned a lot from Hitzfeld who he has taken a lot of advice from. I doubt that will be an issue

Hope this helps

KA

Can I just say hats off to Lerner

I said earlier that he had done 2 of the three things I wanted this summer, now I find that the 3rd is also in place AND HOW!

Not being funny Rich but weren't your three things to?

1) Sack McLeish

2) Get a replacement in quick

3) Give him funds to buy

We really only look like 2/3 as the money for players part is yet to be seen.

If I am wrong I apologise in advance!

You are not wrong you know ;-)

Not knocking you mate! I think this managerial euphoria has gotten to you like it has many others :D

Significant (relative) investment this summer has been on the cards for a while now so if Richard has heard something it ties in with what I was told a few months ago now.

Risso will back that up as we had some debates over it.

I was delighted to hear it at the time but the thought of who might get the chance to spend it filled me with dread. Not so now.

Right there is contradiction now between different supposed ITK's

INCOGNITO AVFC ‏@INCOGNITOAVFC

Paul Lambert is the new manager of Aston Villa FC. Club announcement tomorrow as expected. Expect a lot of work over the Summer. #avfc

We'll see who we can supposedly trust tomorrow ;)

I'm pretty sure this 'Incognitoavfc' twitterer is someone from the club who's been told to leak information.

Can I just say hats off to Lerner

I said earlier that he had done 2 of the three things I wanted this summer, now I find that the 3rd is also in place AND HOW!

Not being funny Rich but weren't your three things to?

1) Sack McLeish

2) Get a replacement in quick

3) Give him funds to buy

We really only look like 2/3 as the money for players part is yet to be seen.

If I am wrong I apologise in advance!

You are not wrong you know ;-)

Not knocking you mate! I think this managerial euphoria has gotten to you like it has many others :D

Yes I am thrilled about Lambert, but it is not the euphoria that has giotten to me!

She's replied to me. Basis of her claim is that they sounded out other managers. 1+1=459.75432. Now that is rubbish journalism for you.

we did sound out other managers though, i saw it on the world wide whelan

Through the goings on between Martinez and Liverpool found out that Villa spoke to RM on at least 2 occasions. One of these times must of been before LFC had approached big gob Whelan.

Like FSG it sounds like Lerner wanted to initially speak with a host of candidates and then take it from there and not put all his eggs in one basket from what I've been told and reading all the stuff and info on here.

Lambert wouldn't come unless he had some decent funds to rebuild with, there may be a wage cap this time now Lerner has got to grips with running a Premier League club.

Would hope to pick up some hungry lower league players ready to leave it all on the pitch.

I'm taking a prediction that Lambert will be getting £40-50 million.. I have looked at how much potentially needs doing and I think that is about the amount he'll need. Some may go with £30-40 million + Player sales, I think Lerner will just pocket the money from sales and just flat out give him £40-50 million with the strict understanding that this kind of money won't happen every summer.

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/2733606/ShowPost.aspx#2733606

In summary..

...typical dour Scotsman in interviews with clichéd stock answers to everything. Poor with the media.

...rotates the players a lot and changes tactics and formations upto 6 times per match (how will the Holte react?)

Maybe they are just bitter but there are some genuine causes for concern for me.

To be fair Lambert is no lover of the media - most of his post match interviews (particularly with the BBC & Sky) are very much the same. He also seemed to have a particular hatred for Stuart Jarrold from Sky who covered our Friday pressers and always gave him short shrift. However he seemed to develop a bit of a rapport with the BBC Local radio guy in Norwich and his interviews with him always seemed more natural

I've had the pleasure of being in his company when theres not a camera around and hes anything but a dour Scot. The bloke has stories galore & would make a great after dinner speaker one day

He does rotate a lot, more so last season that others, and I've been critical of him for that. There were times last season when he seemed to make changes to starting XI's for the sake of it and then have to change after 10/15 mins when it was clear things weren't working. That said, he always goes all out to win games, which is how we made it to the prem with something like 18 goals in the last 10 mins of games in the championship. Last season we took a couple of pastings against Man City (1-5 & 1-6) but conceded 7 goals in the last 15 mins of those games as we continued to go at them. Our fans applauded the team off after they did us 1-6 at home, not sure whether that would happen at VP!!

He hasnt had any experience of signing big players, but he's played with world class players at Dortmund (admits himself he was the worst player in the dressing room) and learned a lot from Hitzfeld who he has taken a lot of advice from. I doubt that will be an issue

Hope this helps

KA

The only negative comment I heard from a TV reporter about PL was 'they can't wait to see the back of him in Norfolk'. Turns out he was talking about the media. Who cares eh? If he does a good job he can refuse to do interviews for all I care.

I'm taking a prediction that Lambert will be getting £40-50 million.. I have looked at how much potentially needs doing and I think that is about the amount he'll need. Some may go with £30-40 million + Player sales, I think Lerner will just pocket the money from sales and just flat out give him £40-50 million with the strict understanding that this kind of money won't happen every summer.
Well that would be a lot. To be honest I think Lambert could do it on £20m-£30m but £40m-£50m would be very interesting. Lambert's never had much money to spend so I wonder if he'll go for some foreign players?

She's replied to me. Basis of her claim is that they sounded out other managers. 1+1=459.75432. Now that is rubbish journalism for you.

we did sound out other managers though, i saw it on the world wide whelan

Through the goings on between Martinez and Liverpool found out that Villa spoke to RM on at least 2 occasions. One of these times must of been before LFC had approached big gob Whelan.

Like FSG it sounds like Lerner wanted to initially speak with a host of candidates and then take it from there and not put all his eggs in one basket from what I've been told and reading all the stuff and info on here.

Which backs up my argument that I put to Self. Too many journos report their hunches as 'fact' because they think they know everything. There are some gooduns out there however!

In summary..

Hope this helps

KA

I've met Lambert too and found him to be very friendly. In regards to him being the worst player in that team.....Im pretty sure he was MOM in the champs league final so I'm sure he can take comfort in that haha