Ched Evans

GarethRDR

Regardless of if he is innocent or not, he did his time, and deserves a chance to have a life again. He was punished wrongly or fairly, but regardless, he should be allowed to play football once again. There are footballers playing who did far worse than Evans and no one talks about them. 

Just to clarify - he could be a massive word removed for all I know. But it is so extremely rare for conviction, particularly of this nature, to be overturned that I don't feel it's proper to still talk about it as though he's broken the law. It does sound like a very unsavoury incident to me, but I get the impression that I'm not in full possession of the facts.

• Like 1

I don't really see the point in discussing the case, the only facts right now are that he was convicted served his sentence and now sufficient new evidence has come to light for the conviction to be quashed and a retrial ordered.

That is it, none of us can really comment beyond that. The evidence presented at the first trial was sufficient to convinct and reject an appeal and we have no idea what new evidence will factor in the next trial.

The only real point of discussion of any real merit is the decision for Chesterfield to sign him. Right now I don't think there is any reason why they shouldn't but I'd expect them to review that should he lose the re-trial.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

How do you know that's how it went down? That sounds like rape to me and I'm sure it would be enough to convict, but he's had his conviction quashed so anything we think we know up to this point should be too. 

From what I can remember he admitted having sex with her, and there was CCTV of her falling over in the street on the way to the hotel.

Whether it is rape or not we will never truly know. I feel though that he is probably a bit of a scumbag, but nothing new in the world of football there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2016 at 16:46, rodders0223 said:

From what I can remember he admitted having sex with her, and there was CCTV of her falling over in the street on the way to the hotel.

Whether it is rape or not we will never truly know. I feel though that he is probably a bit of a scumbag, but nothing new in the world of football there.

Just to play devil's advocate here, I think it's perfectly possible that somebody could be drunk enough to trip over but not so drunk that they can't consent to sex. Was Ched Evans aware she was 'that drunk'? Was Ched Evans drunk thus inhibiting his judgement?

The one common factor here appears to alcohol. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Cleared of rape.

Yep... In my honest opinion, this should now be turned on the girl in question who because of her actions caused a man to go to prison for a heinous crime which has been decided he didnt commit.

Not too surprised tbh...to get a re-trial the defence obviously had a much stronger case this time and looks like the key was a former boyfriend of the accuser who said some interesting stuff in court which looks to have helped get his conviction quashed.

He's already re-started his career even before the verdict so not sure much will change apart from maybe international football being an option for him again.

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Yep... In my honest opinion, this should now be turned on the girl in question who because of her actions caused a man to go to prison for a heinous crime which has been decided he didnt commit.

Yes what a despicable human being

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Pretty terrible what has happened to him all because of this. I hope the negative connotation surrounding his name gets cleared now. 

The stigma will still remain though as Rodders has said below.

Just no law broken now.

A good little write-up here: http://ukcriminallawblog.com/ched-evans-not-guilty-of-rape/

During the trial there were some details published, but these seemed to be more in the local than the national papers. Much of it appears to relate to the sexual behaviour of the complainant – normally something that is not admissible in Court unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Highly recommend that blog. They cover high profile cases regularly.

This entire situation is a complete shitshow.

And the details of the tactics used by the defence and the people around are horrible. Sexual history is exceptionally rarely used any facet of these cases, and I've no idea what relevance it has to this case all. Did she reveal whilst mid orgasm she held a long standing fantasy of fabricating a rape case against a footballer, which she just so happens to pull off perfectly while collapse in the kebab shop drunk?

Evans partner is alleged to have offered money for witnesses to the defence case - and the judge allowed it. And the court of appeal were hesitant to allow the new testimony, which the prosecution contended were being fed evidence by Evans' family to support their story.

This whole thing is decidedly grim whatever way you look at it.

• Like 4

Â