Ched Evans

GarethRDR

Really odd case this. If he wasn't a footballer I think it would be case closed, guilty. I remember an article I saw online though about how some PI or something hacked out the victim's deleted twitter metadata private messages (I know right) and she was apparently basically messaging her friend to say when she 'won big' and was in the money she would take them all to Barbados or somewhere. Think this case is a big mess and the quicker it's sorted one way or another it will be best for everyone.

Really odd case this. If he wasn't a footballer I think it would be case closed, guilty. I remember an article I saw online though about how some PI or something hacked out the victim's deleted twitter metadata private messages (I know right) and she was apparently basically messaging her friend to say when she 'won big' and was in the money she would take them all to Barbados or somewhere. Think this case is a big mess and the quicker it's sorted one way or another it will be best for everyone.

It was publicly posted on twitter. She was not too smart about that. She deleted it but as with everything on the internet, it was stored on a server. Eventually someone found it on a french server and all of the tweets came to light. That made it seem like she was just doing this for a settlement. 

Given what we know of this case, Evans would need an astoundingly, supernaturally good barrister to get off this charge, or have some absolutely earth shatteringly good new evidence to bring to the table.

He raped a woman. The end. **** his privileged life because he's a scumbag.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think he is innocent. Don't think he'd be pushing this hard only to be found out as a fraud especially now that he is trying to re-establish himself. 

So despite the fact he was found guilty, served time and has already lost an appeal you've come to the conclusion he is innocent based on the fact he is still claiming to be innocent? :)

I think he thinks he is innocent. Might be as well. If she was apparently too drunk to say no, how can she recall her story? This is my speculation. Not taking his side, not taking anyone's side. I just know that there have been a lot of rape accusations in today's world that ended up being the woman lied then was pressured to keep the story going. 

If she was too drunk to say no, then he raped her. 

What if he was too drunk to say no?

Or is that not how equality works?

I think he is innocent. Don't think he'd be pushing this hard only to be found out as a fraud especially now that he is trying to re-establish himself. 

So despite the fact he was found guilty, served time and has already lost an appeal you've come to the conclusion he is innocent based on the fact he is still claiming to be innocent? :)

I think he thinks he is innocent. Might be as well. If she was apparently too drunk to say no, how can she recall her story? This is my speculation. Not taking his side, not taking anyone's side. I just know that there have been a lot of rape accusations in today's world that ended up being the woman lied then was pressured to keep the story going. 

this doesnt really make much sense, do you want to elaborate.

Sorry, what?

Are you asking about Ched Evans, or about a hypothetical other situation?

Have you seen the CCTV footage from the hotel?

So she can walk unaided in heels, not staggering about at all, holding a large pizza that she ordered herself, and then you can even see she realizes she left something in the taxi and went back to try and get it.

She can manage this, but is too drunk to say no? And was so wasted she has no memory at all of the nights events? 

Edited by carlitobrigante

So she can walk unaided in heels, not staggering about at all, holding a large pizza that she ordered herself, and then you can even see she realizes she left something in the taxi and went back to try and get it.

She can manage this, but is too drunk to say no? And was so wasted she has no memory at all of the nights events? 

Have you bothered to acquaint yourself with the verdict?

People are never wrongly convicted of crimes they did not commit?

Sure, of course they are. However, the issue of the woman being intoxicated was covered in great detail in the judgement. She'd been drinking all night, and left her handbag in a kebab shop. Despite what carlitobrigante thinks he can see on CCTV, she was drunk. 

People are never wrongly convicted of crimes they did not commit?

Indeed, but quite a lot are convicted of ones they did commit and go on to lose appeals as a result.

Anything where 'he said' and 'she said' is tricky to be definitely guilty or definitely innocent. This is one of those subjective cases, and we have to assume that the jury ruled beyond reasonable doubt. In which case discounting some major new evidence, he's going to lose the appeal.

At first glance, it does look like he's innocent.  But once you look at some of the detail, it looks more like guilty. Ched probably doesn't think he is guilty as he probably doesn't see any wrong in what he did. That doesn't make it right though.   It definitely doesn't make it morally right, and in this particular case, criminal.

Think back to when you were a student at university - dodgy drunken sexual encounters. Some of those might have been borderline rape with the definition of too drunk to say no. Though in those cases the guy is also too drunk. Its two drunk people having sex which may have been thought of as consensual at the time (by both parties).

This case has a big difference that the woman went back with someone else, not Ched.

Sorry, i've just rambled for no particular point, i was just getting my thoughts together in my head ;)

• 4 months later...

The appeal hearing started yesterday and due to go on for 2 days. New evidence apparently but due to reporting restrictions wont be divulged until the end of the hearing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/ched-evans-rape-conviction-under-review-after-new-evidence-brought-to-light-a6945756.html

Former footballer Ched Evans' conviction for raping a 19-year-old woman is to be reviewed after new evidence was brought forward, it has been revealed.

Evans' case was referred to the Court of Appeal in London by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), which investigates potential miscarriages of justice

CCRC said new evidence came to light in October.

Edited by Seat68

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Can you imagine if he is actually innocent? Would anything happen to the girl? NOPE

It totally depends doesn't it?

If it emerged that the girl had deliberately fabricated something to make out that she'd been raped (which is HIGHLY unlikely) then yes, something would happen to the girl.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Can you imagine if he is actually innocent? Would anything happen to the girl? NOPE

I don't really agree with this but the one thing that frustrates me in cases like this is the accused gets his/her name dragged through the mud regardless of whether they're innocent or guilty and the accusee gets anonymity.

Makes a massive farce out of disputable cases (not talking about this one)

its one for a different topic but my feeling is, outside of this case as he is a convicted rapist up to this point, but both the victim and and the accused should have complete anonymity.

• Like 1

Â