Ched Evans

GarethRDR

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If this turns out all lies the woman should be thrown in jail

It's quite obviously not "all lies", even if it turns out he's not Guilty.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's quite obviously not "all lies", even if it turns out he's not Guilty.

The part I refer to is if it's proven she gave consent, if she deliberately lied and it's proven she should be thrown in jail. 

"But he's convicted of being a rapist, so he is one, by law".

Hmm, turns out he may not be. Could still be mind but I remember a load of smug unwavering armchair lawyers & judges saying the above when people questioned it. 

It seems likely that the new evidence was probably the same or very similar to that which turned the case in the Jian Ghomeshi case in Canada, where a trail of text messages and emails between his accusers, revealed lies and conspiracy.

Luckily for Ghomeshi and Evans, they had the resources to get access to the evidence.

The thing that baffled me about it, was the tweets sent by the accuser about winning big.

If you genuinely believed you'd been raped, wouldn't you just be happy to get a conviction? Not gleefully bragging about your 'winnings'?

The whole case is screwed up.

• Like 1

Rightly or wrongly whether he gets found not guilty at his retrial or not, I have little sympathy for the situation he's found himself in as it came about from him acting like such an odious scumbag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

The part I refer to is if it's proven she gave consent, if she deliberately lied and it's proven she should be thrown in jail. 

Whatever happens at the retrial, I would be amazed if that could be 'proven' one way or the other. 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

"But he's convicted of being a rapist, so he is one, by law".

Hmm, turns out he may not be. Could still be mind but I remember a load of smug unwavering armchair lawyers & judges saying the above when people questioned it. 

To be fair, they were right. Now he isn't. He might be again. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

The thing that baffled me about it, was the tweets sent by the accuser about winning big.

If you genuinely believed you'd been raped, wouldn't you just be happy to get a conviction? Not gleefully bragging about your 'winnings'?

The whole case is screwed up.

People don't always act logically in the wake of a traumatic event. On the other hand, of course, maybe there is new evidence that she was treating the event as a payday. I'm sure it'll come out at retrial. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Indeed - and it willl be interesting to see the outcome of a new trial (if the CPS don't decide to drop the case before it begins).

That is quite possible should the evidence turn out to be so glaring and easily obtained, that it embarrasses them. 

so many questions but  the appeal seems to have been based around a previous trial where a judge established that someone can still consent to sex even if they have consumed substantial quantities of alcohol... does that still technically make him a rapist  , just one that has argued a point of law rather than proved innocence  ?

but where does he go from here though ?(assuming he doesn't face a retrial)  his losses will have been quite vast

can he sue for wrongful dismissal by the club , can he sue the woman in question ( though arguably she won't have anything to sue her for)  ..

or is he just Chad Evans he skint ex-footballer who had a threesome from now on in ?

if he doesn't face a retrial , can the woman who accused him then be named (other than on twitter) ?

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

can he sue for wrongful dismissal by the club , can he sue the woman in question ( though arguably she won't have anything to sue her for)  ..

I'm not a lawyer but I would assume there would be no case against his club. At the time they had reasonable grounds to dismiss him. There  was no way to know that 4 years later his conviction would be overturned.

As for suing her... I suppose he may have a leg to stand on to sue her for being the cause of loss of earnings and defamation. 

• Like 1

Â