Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

Skysports said:

West Ham are in talks with Arsenal's Lauren, skysports.com can confirm.

The Cameroon defender has been told by Arsene Wenger that he can leave Emirates Stadium.

Lauren is out of contract in the summer and is unlikely to be offered fresh terms with Emmanuel Eboue now firmly established as first choice right-back under Wenger.

Lauren has long been linked with a move back to Spain where he first forged his European career - before joining Arsenal in 2000.

However, skysports.com understands that West Ham have now mounted a bid for the 29-year-old.

Hammers boss Alan Curbishley wants to overhaul his squad and only has a short space of time to do so - and an experienced Premiership campaigner like Lauren could prove a valuable acquisition.

Lauren is yet to play a game this season after only just returning to training last month after nearly a year on the sidelines with a knee injury.

clicky

I would love to have seen us go for Lauren.. He has another good few years left in him and attacks really well...... Cheap too I reckon!!!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd like Lauren as well, not sure how cheap he'd be though seeing as they spent £7m on him in the first place...

that was my thinking too. I like him and would like to see him at RB which is his natural position as opposed to Geremi who is played there instead of in MF by Chelsea.

Though that said we've had a number of ex-midfielders who you've out to be pretty good right backs over the years

Yeah I'd like Lauren as well, not sure how cheap he'd be though seeing as they spent £7m on him in the first place...

that was my thinking too. I like him and would like to see him at RB which is his natural position as opposed to Geremi who is played there instead of in MF by Chelsea.

Though that said we've had a number of ex-midfielders who you've out to be pretty good right backs over the years

Lauren never played RB until Wenger converted him. He was RM till then. Even so, how old is he now? He's been at the Arsenal for quite a few years. I doubt whether he'd cost as much as 7m.

I would like Lauren and seeing as he is out of contract in the summer he should be a bargain.

As for Beckham, considering he is not playing that much these days, why would Real offer him a pay rise of reportedly £10k per week unless he was making them significant amounts of money. I think he is a good player and would attract other players too and thus would like him.

I would be (and indeed am) happy with Bardsley. Neville will play for the next few years for Man Ure and Bardsley will fall in love with Villa and sign full time.

If he proves himself that is, and he will.

Bazdavies79,

How could I be sure of that? It was a stupid answer to an unanswerarble question. It was of course my opinion. Your opinion is that we will sell twice the number we otherwise would sell worldwide without Beckham in Japan alone. I accept it as your opinion, but I think you don't know what you are talking about. I suspect you haven't done any research regarding this, and I suspect you don't even know the number of shirts that is to be multiplied by two which would then be our new Japanese sales target. And I don't think you know what our profit per shirt is either. So I don't ask if you are sure if we would really reach that target, as I know you don't know the answer.

This is going OT. I don't think Beckham would be so profitable for this club as you suggest, because if he signed for us we wouldn't have the distribution channels open to us to make sure we took advantage of it. But then again, it's only my opinion, which you are free to ask questions about.

Your right I'm guessing but they are educated guesses, based on the fact Man U did and Real still do make a lot of money from Beckham merchandise. The fact we would not have the distribution channels to make the most of Beckham is ridiculous, it's like the Railways companies in the UK who are putting off rail travellers because their trains are over cowded, instead of improving the network to handle them, it's backward thinking - you dont work for them do you, lol??

Besides the most important factor is what he would bring to the team, he is class. IF we could pull of a Beckham transfer I'd be delighted.

Getting back ON TOPIC but sticking with the Real Madrid clearout, how about Ivan Helguera? He'd be a good signing, only 31.

It doesnt take a genius to know that signing Beckham would multiply our revenue in merchandise many times over.

It massively boosted Man Utds and Real Madrids sales and they were already punting tons of it so what he'd do to the relatively modest Villa merch sales worldwide is anybody's guess. It would be considerable. Many times over.

Whatever you think of him as a footballer, he is still a massive personality in the sport.

I would personally love a player of his quality to join us but I just cant see it happening.

Beckham: He is a good footballer but there is one fundemental flaw to him: he is a player that is bigger than the club. Fact. The media circus that surronds him is prove of that to begin with and it was the reason why he left Man Utd, and Man Utd are a pretty big club. Yes he will bring in a massive revenue (he will also cost a bloody bundle as well) but are we exactly short on cash? My point is that the financial question is irrelevent. I think that will would almost certainly ruin the wage structure and therefore probably make a lot of people unhappy. Yes he is good at free kicks etc but he doesn't really add much more to the squad and for the damage he is likely to the squad I really do not think it would be worth it. I would much rather have SWP or Young at the squad than Beckham.

Has MON not been likened to Ferguson, and he doesn't like the prima donna types, therefore it can be a good assumption that MON doesn't either? Therefore the Beckham link IMO is irrelevent.

EDIT: Just read that Beckham is leaving Real Madrid in the summer. :bang: Not going to hear the end of this... :angry:.EDIT END

Laursen: this guy would be a good signing and should not cost too much. I would like us to be in for him.

Who said that Beckham was on his way to Villa on loan first? :winkold:

He´s coming...I just have a gut feeling and he´s going to lift Villa unbelievable. Just his appearance will give a major boost for any club. Here you have the boy beside McCann and Petrov in the midfield!! Go and get him MON...he´s up for grabs and I think he would enjoy Villa more than any other club in England right now.

Beckham would be a great signing ..imagine beating the first man from a corner and a goal threat from free kicks.

It would also be a massive statement of intent and show we mean buisness.Also any other signing would have no pressure on them as it will all be about Beckham.