Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

I remember last summer people were throwing Javier Saviola's name around a fair bit. What does everyone think now worth signing or even obtainable?

Martin O'Neill said he's crap and he never wanted him in the first place.

Except he was more polite than that.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From todays Sun. Speculation regarding Baros, Ashley Young, SWP, Bellamy and Gera. Seems like we're being linked with everyone all of a sudden.

http://tinyurl.com/yetxy7

Spanish strugglers want Baros

By PHIL THOMAS

January 09, 2007

MILAN BAROS is a shock transfer target for La Liga strugglers Levante.

The Spanish outfit have made Aston Villa striker Baros, 25, their number one priority as they battle to avoid slipping into the relegation scrap.

The Czech striker only turned down a move to Spain recently, when he knocked back an approach from Real Sociedad.

Yet that was when fanciful talk of a dramatic swoop by Chelsea was in the air, and now it has come to nothing, he would give Levante more serious consideration.

Baros cost Villa £6.5 million when they landed him from Liverpool 18 months ago.

But he has failed to sparkle since moving to the Midlands, managing only 14 goals in 49 appearances.

He was on target when he came off the bench in Sunday’s late FA Cup defeat at Manchester United.

Yet he has slipped behind Juan Pablo Angel and Gabriel Agbonlahor in the pecking order, while Chris Sutton will also be ahead of him when he returns from injury.

Manager Martin O’Neill has publicly admitted that there is uncertainty over the long-term future of Baros, and he could go for around half what Villa paid for him.

Levante are woefully lacking firepower, with just 16 goals in their 17 league games this term - and only six of them from front men Riga Mustapha and Olivier Kap.

Aston Villa last night signed Manchester United full-back Phil Bardsley on loan for the rest of the season.

The 21 year-old defender is Martin O’Neill’s first capture since the transfer window opened again at the start of the month.

But Bardsley will have to wait until January 20th to make his debut against struggling Watford at Villa Park because he’s not eligible to play against his parent club when Villa return to Old Trafford to play the Premiership leaders on Saturday.

However, O’Neill is hoping to bring in at least two more newcomers this week, with Watford’s £6 million-rated striker Ashley Young amoung his targets.

He’s also being linked with Liverpool’s Craig Bellamy and West Brom’s unsettled Hungarian forward Zoltan Gera.

“We just want to start building the squad up up a bit to give ourselves a chance,†said the former Celtic boss.

“We’ve got a gruelling schedule ahead and we’re a bit bit threadbare at the moment.â€

SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS will reject a £9.8million move to West Ham because he reckons he still has a future at Chelsea.

The out of favour winger is instead hoping to clinch a loan move to Aston Villa for the rest of the season.

And he is determined to prove to Jose Mourinho that he is good enough to become a Stamford Bridge regular.

England international Wright-Phillips, 25, has NEVER played a full 90 minutes in the Premiership for Chelsea.

Now Mourinho is ready to cut his losses on a player who cost Chelsea £21million when he signed from Manchester City in July 2005.

But the little winger still has three and a half years to run on his £60,000 a week contract.

And he is not yet ready to call time on his Chelsea career despite his failure to meet Mourinho’s demands.

Wright-Phillips’ refusal to join the struggling Hammers on a permanent deal has forced Chelsea to rethink about lending him to a Premiership rival.

It was only last week that Mourinho insisted that none of his squad would be allowed to leave on loan.

But now he is willing to let Wright-Phillips go even though both Joe Cole and Arjen Robben are currently out injured.

Manchester City and Newcastle are also eager to take the player on loan for the rest of the season but Wright-Phillips is thought to favour a move to Villa.

Villa boss Martin O’Neill has also made a £6.9million bid for Watford winger Ashley Young.

But he prefers Wright-Phillips and knows the player has a point to prove.

Spurs boss Martin Jol is also keen on Young and believes he can lure the England Under-21 international to White Hart Lane.

But struggling Watford are demanding players in part exchange and Jol is having trouble convincing any of his squad to move to a club heading straight back to the Championship.

Wayne Routledge, currently on loan at Fulham, refused to move to Vicarage Road at the weekend and now Spurs are trying to get centre-half Calum Davenport to join Watford instead.

i can't see any logic in moving to levante, it would be a big risk to use them as a stepping stone IMO, especially when we look as though we are on the up

and there hardly a big club

but theres probably no truth in the rumour anyway

SWP on loan seems to be gathering momentum. It's very similar in a lot of ways to the Milner deal, unhappy and largely unwanted player sent out on loan, hopefully he'll enjoy himself as much as Milner did and will want to stay. Hopefully Chelsea would let him.

I just hope if we get him on loan we agree a fee we can sign him for. I wouldn't mind having him for the rest of the season, but I'd rather we had the option to buy at the end. Seems they want rid of him so works for both (even though it would seem SWP doesn't want to leave permanently he might be persuaded by being here for a few months.)

i think it is now only Ronaldinho that we haven't been linked with. But give it time....

He is in a Birmingham hotel at this very moment.

do you have their number so i can call it

i think it is now only Ronaldinho that we haven't been linked with. But give it time....

I've jut got off the phone to him. I'm shaking. It did sound like a black man I spoke to, a small one at tbat, no bigger than 5 ft 4.

:winkold:

Hope we don't go for Ronaldinho. Overrated and a total waste of high wages for someone who can't kick a ball. Please don't do that, MON.

I've heard Carlton Palmer looks for a cmeback, though...

That Dica-rumour died, didn't it?

Sulley Muntari would welcome a move to England, his agent has confirmed.

The Udinese midfielder is a long-term target of Portsmouth, while Middlesbrough have also been credited with an interest.

Thus far Udinese look to have priced the 22-year-old out of a move, but earlier this month the club's president Giampaolo Pozzo admitted Muntari might leave.

Now Stefano Antonelli admits a Premiership switch is high on Muntari's agenda.

"For the player, to go to England does appeal, but at this moment there is nothing there," Antonelli told AGR.

"It is possible an agreement for the sale in January could be found, but the sale of the player is for Udinese to decide, and in general teams like midfielders and so it will cost."

Saucy

GO ON MARTIN SIGN HIM UP!!!

Seriously, this guy would be our Viera, our Makalele, our Alonso... and at what cost? Probably no more than £6M.

That Dica-rumour died, didn't it?

I don't think it really died, it has only been a couple of days that the press have mentioned. It should be in the papers tomorrow or Thursday. They have to rotate these things you know ;)

It is looking more likely that SWP is joining on loan which I think it will be good, however I would like an agreed fee for in the summer so that he can join us then permenantly. SWP isn't wanted by Chelsea, once he joins us on loan and sees how awesome it is he will want to come.

I also hope he signs by the end of the week so he can play against Man Utd, give us a bit of a better chance this time.

I don't think the Young transfer will be done until after the Watford game to be honest, its just too soon to be playing against your old club. Expect that transfer to happen 22md January...

Bellamy - no. I don't particularly want him and I don't think Liverpool are looking to sell him, they did only kind of buy him in the summer. I also think the reason why Crouch and Bellamy are being linked away from Liverpool is the number of games they have played. Have the press forgotten about Rafa's rotation policy?! Neither will move in January.

EDIT: Muntari? Never seen him play but he is awesome in FM! Sign him up! Or Barton...

Davies or Distin or Upson?

SWP or Young or Milner or Maloney?

Reo-Coker or Barton?

Defoe or Keane?

Bent or Bellamy?

Dica or Kepa?

Smith or Shevchenko?

Kaka or Ronaldinho?

Torvill or Dean?

Renee or Renato?

Lerner or Ellis?

This is a great idea. Simply phone AVFC on 0898 372895784589 to make your decision.. this way we make even more money to plough back into transfers!

Ladies and gentlemen I thank you.....

I've jut got off the phone to him. I'm shaking. It did sound like a black man I spoke to, a small one at tbat, no bigger than 5 ft 4.

:winkold:

Really? When I spoke to him he sounded more like 5 ft 5...

Maybe his heavy drinking yesterday made him sound taller than he was. I'm not sure..