Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

I know circumstances dictate, and the takeover was only days old - but if there had been a bit more urgency - perhaps James Milner would be a villa player today.

I just get the feeling, that we aren't making bids here and there - and think we are waiting and see - I wish I could sense more urgency

I get the feeling... I wish... if only... if only my aunty had bollocks she would be my uncle!

Be patient, just because we aren't shouting anything from the rooftops doesn't mean we aren't doing anything.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are getting far too anxious. Since the transfer window opened we've had 2 games, and already people are furious we haven't signed 5 or more players. The truth probably is that all these clubs with decent players who might be available aren't going to sell to the first bidder. Behind the scenes there's probably chairman's on the phone every day trying to sort out deals or out-bid their rivals. Chances are a lot of clubs won't even make a decision on an offer until the last week of the window. The latter is probably the reason that not a lot has happened before the window opened - the selling clubs have probably said that they won't make any decisions till the end of January. Don't give up hope lads, I'm sure MON is working his magic and by the end of Jan it will all be roses. After all, what have Newcastle or West Ham got to offer that we don't?

:clap:

That is probably exactly what is happening.

Regards to Bent. I do not think he will leave Charlton in January. Just because Charlton have said they will listen to offers for him, they will only accept at least £15million minimum, probably more likely to be £18million. Now I do rate Bent very highly but that price is very high, especially for a player who is out for 5 weeks and will require a few games to get back to proper fitness. He will unlikely be back properly until March/April time and for me that is too much to spend on the player. I think that his price will go down in the summer because Bent will want to leave the club. Charlton will either be relegated or close to it and Bent will be one of England's top strikers.

People are saying however that we will have competition for his signature in the summer, but hang on, don't we have it now? With Chelsea, Liverpool, West Ham, Newcastle, Tottenham, Man Utd, Portsmouth and probably a few others linked with a move in January. This list shouldn't increase in the summer since, who else will be able to afford him? I say unless Charlton reduce their price to around £12million (ideally less but I would be happy to pay this. Like I said, I am a fan of Bent) they will not sell him in January.

I know circumstances dictate, and the takeover was only days old - but if there had been a bit more urgency - perhaps James Milner would be a villa player today.

I just get the feeling, that we aren't making bids here and there - and think we are waiting and see - I wish I could sense more urgency

Lots of ifs buts and maybes...... and not a lot of fact in there is there? You/I/We don't KNOW what is going on...... in other words IF my auntie had balls perhaps I have a feeling she would be my uncle! :) Chill out!

from itv website -Defoe tops Chelsea hitlist

The Sunday Times believes that Jose Mourinho 'has targeted Jermain Defoe as his principal January transfer window signing, and has offered Shaun Wright-Phillips to Tottenham Hotspur in exchange.'

The paper also claims that Chelsea were offered Darren Bent for £25m by Alan Pardew. 'Though the fantasy pricing drew Mourinho's wrath a representative was instructed to call Charlton to inquire after a more realistic figure. After quoting £18m for the injured 22-year-old, Charlton were told to find another buyer.'

A similar response greeted Aston Villa's offer to sell Milan Baros.

The stumbling block in the Defoe deal could be SWP however. Martin Jol is a big fan of the winger, but 'perhaps aware that there is a significant possibility that the manager will change clubs this summer, Wright-Phillips still believes he has a future at Chelsea and may be more receptive to a loan move.'

'He is also understood to be hopeful that Arsène Wenger might act on his public admiration of the winger, but with Arsenal unwilling to spend in this window that remains extremely unlikely,' the newspaper adds. 'Though a fee of £9.8m has been agreed with West Ham United, Wright- Phillips has refused to put pen to paper at the relegation-threatened side.'

Anybody think Nathan Tyson of Forest would be worth a gamble on?

I would'nt expect him to cost that much either.

He's a very good player, no doubt. Would prefer a more experienced, goal poaching striker though, and we already have Luke and Gabby.

Problem for January transfers is like trying to sell your house and the person that wants to buy it has to sell their own house first. Likewise many clubs will not want to let their players go unless they have lined up a replacement. Spurs for example may well be interested in Bent or SWP. However, they won't be letting Defoe or Keane go unless they know for certain that any of those they want to bring in have signed.

This was probably the issue with Milner at the last minute of the Summer transfer window. Roeder and Shepherd perhaps had a player lined up that at the last minute changed their minds and and so they recalled Jim lad .

Bear the above in mind when you get frustrated by the seeming lack of action thus far. MON and his assistants are working hard at bringing in the right players and have to wait for all the ducks to line up in a row before they see a result. When you get really anxious just imagine trying to sell your house and get it all closed, signed sealed and delivered in the space of 30 days...... ask your family solicitor, it just doesn't happen that way.

There may be good argument for getting the Football Associations at some stage in the future to consider changing the rules on length of time that this window lasts. I daresay every team would benefit by adding an extra two or three weeks.

Clicky

Ady fears Young is being tapped up

Watford boss Adrian Boothroyd has admitted fears that Ashley Young is being sounded out about a possible transfer behind his back.

Young could leave the Hornets this month, with Arsenal, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Everton, Liverpool and Sheffield United all reportedly having bid for the £7million-rated 21-year-old.

"You have to presume other people are in Ashley's ear, because I am not with him for 24 hours a day," conceded Boothroyd.

"Has he told me other people have had a word with him? He has. Ashley has, on occasion, told me things that, perhaps, other players would not tell their managers.

"He has not mentioned any names, and I do not ask him the question.

"But if he comes to me and says he would like to go, we would have to get an awful lot of money for that to happen."

Monday reports indicate Villa have jumped to the front of the queue to sign Young, with Martin O'Neill desperate to bolster his squad armed with Randy Lerner's millions.

i think we will definately finish the window with at least a new striker keane, bent or bellamy being the most obvious.

if spuds or plop get bent then we get either keane or bellamy depending on where bent decides to go

or we get bent!

9mil for any of these strikers would be good business

Anyone for Koumas? No?

Exactly what we need in terms of playing ability IMO...

aggreed, this lad can play premiership football with ease

underrated - another player who was a victim of bryan robsons mudslinging

If Baros leaves we HAVE to find two strikers IMO, any or all of the above . If we don't get any strikers at all then we can expect to be struggling for points and any outside hope of making it into the top 6 would be hard to accomplish.

I'm sure Martin O Neill will be addressing the lack of striker goals/cutting edge issue in this window and at the very least we'll see a loan deal or a few when Baros inevitably hits the dusty trail.

One of our big problems is lack of creativity, and this has to be due to the midfield. We've got enough strikers to see us through to the end of the season. Getting another two in and only selling Baros would seem a bit wasteful at the moment when we've got Gabby, Angel, Moore to partner any new striker. I don't think we need 5 strikers. Far more the priority should be a couple of creative midfielders who can create plenty of chances each game.

i think we will definately finish the window with at least a new striker keane, bent or bellamy being the most obvious.

if spuds or plop get bent then we get either keane or bellamy depending on where bent decides to go

or we get bent!

9mil for any of these strikers would be good business

You'd pay £9m for Craig Bellamy or Robbie Keane?? :shock: