Stan Petrov

LondonLax

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

We already have some good new coaches, but for me what Petrov brings needs to be as a player, a contemporary. But he hasn't been given a contract yet, and unless he proves he can be an asset (and I really really hope, and I do believe, he can be) he won't get one... My own two cents is that almost regardless of playing time his presence around the squad can only be a good thing, and I don't think I'm confusing my opinions with sentimentality... Although perhaps we haven't had much to be sentimental about for the last five years, so maybe some of it is about that, and maybe that's no bad thing.

Plus, it was so so good to see him play again, if only in a few shots on Twitter. Nice one Stan.

Nice post

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim said:

Could he not do that as a coach though instead? 

Dont get me wrong it would be great if he could do it but I'm with Richard, the squad place could be better used. 

I would say it would not be nearly as effective as a coach. Much easier for him to interact blend in and get his positive mentality across to the other players as a peer rather than an authoritative figure.

I hope he does get a 1 year contract. If or when we are 3-0 (or 3-1 up with 2 goal line clearances knowing us) it would be nice for him to come on. Obviously shouldn't play every game but the odd couple here and there I think wouldn't harm us. It's up to the club to ensure this by signing the right players in midfield. If we were to go in to the next season with him as first choice something somewhere has badly gone wrong (unless of course he deserves it) but from what I've seen the club seem more prepared than in recent seasons. 

As im an old fart I rarely buy shirts anymore, but i cant think of a better reason to buy one this season to display his name on the back; Even if he never plays another second on the pitch.

Simply inspiring!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

Sign him up, when we're confirmed as champions after the 43rd game play him as captain in the final games to lead us out for a guard of honour. 

How many have seen the game? No one on this forum i think? But lots of opinions from photos, which tell us nothing. Gregg Evans on Bham Mail saw the game and was impressed, although Stan still not fully fit. Jugde from what you see, not from what you think but dont know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Exactly. If he can inspire the like so Jack to push themselves further than they thought was possible then surely that can only be a good thing for us.

I love Stan as much as anyone, but the thought of him running around the championship at 37 I wasn't sure of. I was on the fence, but this pushed me off it. Give him a damn contract!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I hope he does get a 1 year contract. If or when we are 3-0 (or 3-1 up with 2 goal line clearances knowing us) it would be nice for him to come on. Obviously shouldn't play every game but the odd couple here and there I think wouldn't harm us. It's up to the club to ensure this by signing the right players in midfield. If we were to go in to the next season with him as first choice something somewhere has badly gone wrong (unless of course he deserves it) but from what I've seen the club seem more prepared than in recent seasons. 

Or he could always come on for some underperforming midfielder if a game's turning out to be a bore draw. Would give the boys a wake up call and a huge morale boost.

Edited by meme
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, meme said:

Or he could always come on for some underperforming midfielder if a game's turning out to be a bore draw. Would give the boys a wake up call and a huge morale boost.

Me likey. Makes good sense.

I think people are unnecessarily concerned. . We are a professional football club,  not a charity. . If he gets a contract it will be because he deserves it and the management think he is the best man for the job. . If they don't think that he won't get a contract. . Simples 

About offering the same inspiration as a coach no I don't think so. 

Put yourselves in the shoes of a young player looking at him. 

"wow he had a terrible illness and now he can coach me" is not the same as "wow he's had a terrible illness and now he has led me onto the field as my captain and battled like a warrior to win us the game" 

I know which would inspire me more! 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Will probably have the most effect on Grealish. As a Villa fan, he'll see Petrov as a legend. Coupled with his illness, he must now be very moved. Not to mention they both play midfield.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Petrov was tutoring Grealish on personality, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

As im an old fart I rarely buy shirts anymore, but i cant think of a better reason to buy one this season to display his name on the back; Even if he never plays another second on the pitch.

Simply inspiring!

I Think if he dose get a shirt it will be up there with the top selling shirts since naming and squad numbers began. 

Maybe the club should also give a % of any of his shirt sales to cancer research to.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Richard said:

With the renegade master?

look fair play to petrov for playing 45 minutes and coming back from the illness he had, amazing . But 45 minutes against little more than a pub team does not mean he is or could be ready to take any part in a competitive game for Aston villa 

What a **** moronic post. 

• Like 1

Anyway, onto less negative for the sake of being negative posts...

...can't believe he's played. Great first step back. He does look like he has a few pounds to lose but that will easily drop off if he's fully training and playing.

I'm absolutely ecstatic that he's even pulled on a shirt again. IF he manages to do it competitively too after this then I'll be over the moon.

Edited by Stevo985

Â