Stan Petrov

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'm not sure he's fitter, but if he retains some of that bulk, he'll be harder to deal with physically, which can't hurt. I'm sure he won't be as quick as he was before so he'll have to adjust his game. Stan reads the game very well, so if he can take the ball, shrug off a tackle and quickly start an attack, I see no reason why he can't emulate someone like Schweinsteiger. Judging by that one particular photo though, he is really not in great shape. But that's what these game are for, go on, Stan!

I meant in comparison to say a year ago. I agree right now compared to other players he isn't in as good shape but after all this training and playing games he can only get leaner! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

With the renegade master?

look fair play to petrov for playing 45 minutes and coming back from the illness he had, amazing . But 45 minutes against little more than a pub team does not mean he is or could be ready to take any part in a competitive game for Aston villa 

It definitely means he could be. I've not heard he was behind them in terms of ability or fitness, unless you know different?

Edit - to clarify, in reality none of them are ready to play competitively. That's why we have pre season. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I'll be over the moon if he makes the squad and signs a contract!

This will sound awful but I won't. I'd hope we could do better. Brilliant for him his recovery etc inspirational . But I'm sorry I want us to sign players better than a 37 year old who retired a few years ago . 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

This will sound awful but I won't. I'd hope we could do better. Brilliant for him his recovery etc inspirational . But I'm sorry I want us to sign players better than a 37 year old who retired a few years ago . 

This makes no sense. What harm at all could come from signing him?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This makes no sense. What harm at all could come from signing him?

He could take a squad place from someone who could make a more active, regular and long term contribution

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

He could take a squad place from someone who could make a more active, regular and long term contribution

His contribution off the field alone will be invaluable and well worth the squad place.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Richard said:

With the renegade master?

look fair play to petrov for playing 45 minutes and coming back from the illness he had, amazing . But 45 minutes against little more than a pub team does not mean he is or could be ready to take any part in a competitive game for Aston villa 

Thanks for stating the obvious as well as attempting to sour a positive story.

I have to say, I'm finding this anti-petrov rhetoric baffling, even for Villa fans/VT standard, although it is being perpetrated by a small minority.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mantis said:

His contribution off the field alone will be invaluable and well worth the squad place.

Could he not do that as a coach though instead? 

Dont get me wrong it would be great if he could do it but I'm with Richard, the squad place could be better used. 

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Could he not do that as a coach though instead? 

Dont get me wrong it would be great if he could do it but I'm with Richard, the squad place could be better used. 

But if he were to play. He would be a leader ,inspiration on the pitch.

You can't do that as a coach.

Club captain for me if he'fit.enough.

None of our midfielders are anywhere near the class of Petrov at his best. Even if he's lost 50% he's still a step up on what we have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I know what you mean, Richard. He's got a lot to prove, on the pitch anyway. He's someone I'd want in the squad or even the reserves, at least for a season. It would be a continuing source of much needed positivity around the club. My heart says he can make the team and cut up the Championship opposition!

Edited by maqroll

We already have some good new coaches, but for me what Petrov brings needs to be as a player, a contemporary. But he hasn't been given a contract yet, and unless he proves he can be an asset (and I really really hope, and I do believe, he can be) he won't get one... My own two cents is that almost regardless of playing time his presence around the squad can only be a good thing, and I don't think I'm confusing my opinions with sentimentality... Although perhaps we haven't had much to be sentimental about for the last five years, so maybe some of it is about that, and maybe that's no bad thing.

Plus, it was so so good to see him play again, if only in a few shots on Twitter. Nice one Stan.

• Like 1

Â