Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Barry is twice the player that Petrov is, or was, pace would have added another dimension to Barry's play, but he never needed it.

On top of that, Barry is still capable of playing 90 minutes at the highest level, he's not had years out of the game with a life threatening illness. It's an absurd comparison.

Petrov's illness made him a legend, he was distinctly average on the pitch, nowhere near as good as Barry. Having said that, an average PL player is infintiely better than the shit we have in the middle of the park now, so if he comes anywhere near his best, it;s more than good enough.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

In fairness, when I thought he was average, it was in a side regularly challenging for the top 6, so average is probably a bit harsh. Petrov vs Barry, though? As players, it's Barry every day for me.

Petrov might edge it when you take personalities in to account, the way Barry conducted himself in his last year or two still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

• Like 3

I'd say that Barry was the better footballer, for the most part. But when he left Villa and started to play a more deeper role for City and then Everton, I don't think he was much more affective in that position than Petrov. But still very good, and even last year he was apparently one of Everton's better performers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In fairness, when I thought he was average, it was in a side regularly challenging for the top 6, so average is probably a bit harsh. Petrov vs Barry, though? As players, it's Barry every day for me.

Petrov might edge it when you take personalities in to account, the way Barry conducted himself in his last year or two still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

15 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd say that Barry was the better footballer, for the most part. But when he left Villa and started to play a more deeper role for City and then Everton, I don't think he was much more affective in that position than Petrov. But still very good, and even last year he was apparently one of Everton's better performers.

Think it's fair to say Barry was more of a composed DM, whilst Petrov was/is more of a box to box player.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Barry is twice the player that Petrov is, or was, pace would have added another dimension to Barry's play, but he never needed it.

On top of that, Barry is still capable of playing 90 minutes at the highest level, he's not had years out of the game with a life threatening illness. It's an absurd comparison.

Petrov's illness made him a legend, he was distinctly average on the pitch, nowhere near as good as Barry. Having said that, an average PL player is infintiely better than the shit we have in the middle of the park now, so if he comes anywhere near his best, it;s more than good enough.

I thought Petrov's best season for us was 09/10. Of course you could say Milner's influence on the whole team really helped Stan (Milner at his peak was like two CMs in there) but we didn't miss Barry at all that season.

Didn't he also win POTY in 08/09?

We all know he was poor for first 18 months here and I thought he dipped a fair bit for the Houllier season before coming back strongly under McLeish.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Think it's fair to say Barry was more of a composed DM, whilst Petrov was/is more of a box to box player.

Not really, Barry was always given more of a licence to get forward. Maybe in the early days but we quickly saw Stan wasn't going to score anywhere near the amount he did for Celtic.

It was two excellent footballers in there so a nice partnership to watch and they weren't half fantastic at switching play and getting wingers like Young quickly into our attacks with space to run into.

Problem was 4-4-2 and that they were both one paced against mobile midfielders. It's a shame MON didn't switch Milner to CM while Barry was still at the club as the three of them would've been near perfect imo.

Better days back then but I think the garbage we've been playing in CM for last 5/6 years sums up our decline, hardly any of them fit to lace Stan or Barry's boots. 

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think Stan and RDM will know there are a lot of if's in him being able to play at a high level again. That is why he has simply been allowed to train with the first team squad at the moment and hasn't just been given a contract. In fact I doubt giving him a contract has even been considered yet.

It will be one step at a time. He keeps up in training then he will get given game time in friendlies, he does well in pre season over all then a short term contract will be considered.

Despite what we think of them he is not going to be training alongside a bunch of unfit mugs. He is going to have to be judged on how he does alongside players ten years younger than him. He gets a contract he will have bloody well earned it and any worries we have about him not being capable of contributing next season should then be put to bed. That is some way off though as for now he is simply being allowed to train with the first team and we are all perhaps getting ahead of ourselves. I can't help but wish him all the luck in the world though and nothing this pre season would give me greater joy than to see that Stan had earned a contract and a squad number.

Mark, what happened to Stan was desperately sad and something we all regret.

If Stan training with the first team, results in the miracle we all hope for I will be delighted along with everyone else.....I really will.

We can only see what unfolds.

• Like 1

Stillian Petrov and Gareth Barry were both special players for us who had different skill sets.

If only some of the others could come close to them.

• Like 3

I think stan started out poor for us,  like a lot of players took time to adjust to the Premier League but once he got to grips with it was a very decent player,  not as good as Barry for sure but one hell of a lot better than what we have had the last few years. 

It is hard to believe at his age after his terrible illness that he will be physically able to get back to good enough but I applaud him for trying and the club for giving the opportunity.  I pray it does work out for him even if not here he might get back to a standard where he can do a job somewhere else. 

When you look at the overpaid and overrated Footballer's who effectively give up on their careers way earlier than they need to because they have earned so much money (I'm looking at you zog) it's a delight to see someone who still has the hunger,  passion and desire to carry on,  like he really appreciates the privilege he has of being good enough to be a top class professional footballer,  like millions and millions of other people would love to have but never will. 

as much as id like to see both back in a villa shirt one more time, i dont think we could use them as a pairing, we would be out paced and bullied off every ball in the middle of the park, both would need younger legs to acompany them

On 29/06/2016 at 17:13, Czechlad said:

I still think he should had stayed at defensive mid. He actually looked good there. I remember him doing very well against Spurs in that spot. 

Though I've been incredibly negative about Stan's chances of playing football again, I've just seen this in the Ciaran Clark thread. Added to the fact that our midfield still contains Leandro Bacuna and Carlos Sanchez, I've been encouraged to have a rethink. 

Come on Stan, you can do it. 

Petrov was a thinker's footballer. Not fast, not strong, not advanced technically. But he was crafty. He views football as culture, not a paycheck. That's why he's back. Judging by that photo with him and Robinson, he's at least 15 lbs overweight. He has a massive mountain to climb to make the team, IMO. I would **** love it if he did. One way or the other, he needs to be on the bench with this team this coming season, either as player, coach or positive presence.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Petrov was a thinker's footballer. Not fast, not strong, not advanced technically. But he was crafty. He views football as culture, not a paycheck. That's why he's back. Judging by that photo with him and Robinson, he's at least 15 lbs overweight. He has a massive mountain to climb to make the team, IMO. I would **** love it if he did. One way or the other, he needs to be on the bench with this team this coming season, either as player, coach or positive presence.

15lbs overweight??? There's a photo knocking about with his top off and he looks trim. Robinson is a skinny CF. if Stan gets his match fitness levels up he'll do a job probably as a squad member easily for us next year as long as he has younger legs around him. I totally agree with your last sentiment his overall presence will be beneficial but how much does he want to be an actual player again??? 

Yeah 15lbs is probably an exaggeration. He probably could do with a few pounds trimmed off, but you could say the same for half our squad.

Even if it was 15lbs he had to lose. DOing a professional team's pre season training you could lose that in a month, if that.

• Like 1

Â