Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Very sad news about Stan. He lives near me in Sutton Coldfield so I see him about a bit. He's got two young kids, I'm guessing under 8, so I hope for them and his wife that his treatment is successful. I also hope the club is as good as its word, and I'm sure it will be, that they give the family the utmost support. I suspect it will be a worrying experience for his wife to have her husband ill in what is for her a foreign country.

As for on the pitch matters he's a big loss and I think our objective of staying up just got a whole lot harder but that just goes to show, despite his detractors, what a big big player he is for us.

Terrible news! I have a mate who fought this and he's still battling now, but it can be beaten. Best wishes to Stan and his family. We'll miss his presence and leadership on the pitch, but we'll still be supporting him all the way!

Number onnnne is Stan Petrov, number twooo is Stan Petrov, number three is Stan Petrov, number NIGHTEEN is Stan Petrov....

We all dream of a team of Stan Petrovs, a team of Stan Petrovs...

Actually does Petrovs health and strength give him a better chance of surviving. This is because a young and strong body can take more/stronger/harder chemotherapy treatment than someone who is not so strong and this will help the body to remove the false cells faster and keeping them from starting to reproduce again. The reason that a person gets so sick and weak during chemotherapy is that the chemo does not only kill the bad cells but also the good cells that the body needs.

Myself i will if all goes well be finished with all my chemo December 19th.

From what I gather from reading his health and fitness may give him a better chance, but it seems to me like it's a roll of the dice almost. It all seems to come down to how each individual person reacts to chemo and what other illnesses it brings on when the immune system and white blood cells are lowered.. He has every chance but his form of leukemia has like a 30% survival rate in those over 30.

As for you mate, I wish you all the best of luck. Not that you'll need it, you seem like you're strong and handling it well.. I think overall positivity is the strongest weapon against any illness including cancer.

Hopefully his health, fitness and heart will help him succeed in the battle to beat it.

I guess where fitness doesn't help is up till now his sypmtoms have probably been hidden due to him being an athlete compared to the average person who may have shown signs earlier.

That's enough negativity, he's a great bloke and only gave his all on the pitch.

Have to say there are some lovely heartfelt posts on this thread and its great to see so much well deserved love and respect for such a great man.

I have a feeling today is going to be quite emotional at Villa Park. Lets do him proud guys and gals. He has never given less than 100% in our great shirt and he now deserves nothing less than us all giving 100% in showing him how much he means to us.

It's actually made be really proud to be a Villan. It's a long time since I've been able to say that.

Lets do this for Stan!

Best of luck for Stan Petrov, he is a great role model who always gives his best. You have a hard fight in front of you and you will need a lot of patience because the treatment takes a long time.

I have not read every page on the topic but since i have been battling acute leukemia myself since July 2009 i might explain a bit about the treatment for you.

There are two main types of acute leukaemia, aml and all, i dont know much about aml other than it has a lower survival rate than all. Some further testing will tell wich type he has.

All is treated with chemotherapy after a plan that is called Hammersmith 82. The treatment starts with three intensive periods with chemo, these go over several weeks and togethet almost takes half a year, this will make you sick and in much pain, i almost had too learn to walk again i laid in bed for almost one month. This is the length of many cancer treatments and after this is when the patience part comes in to play. Hopefully these intensive cures will put your body into remission and you can continue with the rest of the treatment plan. If you dont get remission the alternative is a bone marrow transplant. The rest of the Hammersmith 82 treatment plan consist of chemo, mostly pills for 13 rounds each lasting for 12 weeks, a total of 156 weeks. The best possible outcome you are looking at 3,5 years of treatment.

Acute leukaemia is a condition where the bone marrow produces false bloodcells, these are empty and they take over and replaces the cells that has a job to do, jobs like transporting oxygen, fighting diseases and more. These false bloodcells takes over the body rapidly and if untreated you will be dead after four months.

Hope this makes some sense.

I too have battled leukaemia in the past few years. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia - and due to the accelerated phase at which I was dignosed meant I had to have a bone marrow transplant despite initial intensive chemotherapy getting me to a remission.

I had been watching Villa play Bolton at home the day I was diagnosed. My initial prognosis was very poor and was definitely up against it. After a bone marrow transplant (from an unrelated German donor) I have been in a remission since July 2007 and offer patient support for those battling blood cancer and am on good terms with the staff at Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research. (Here's a bit about me if you're interested my story ).

I expect that Stan will be having further tests right now to determine exactly what type of leukaemia he has, ALL or AML etc - this will determine his treatment path from now on.

This can be beaten.

This 19th minute thing is a bit odd. Who's watching the clock? What about the action on the pitch at that moment - say a goalmouth chance at either end, or a controversial foul? Before kickoff would have been better IMO.

This 19th minute thing is a bit odd. Who's watching the clock? What about the action on the pitch at that moment - say a goalmouth chance at either end, or a controversial foul? Before kickoff would have been better IMO.

i think the point is that it's more important than what happens on the pitch

If he has retired officially i think a tribute match should be held in his honour probably either against Celtic or Bulgaria national team

officially or not, the guy won't be playing football professionally again, not at his age unfortunately

Been thinking about Stan all day, it dawned on me that we should be doing something, best way to support is for us all to raise money for leukaemia support?

We have to do something. We've had 5 years of battling performances, always giving 100% from Stan, now it is our turn to battle and help the charities that will be there for him.

We owe him for his hard work and for being 100% Villa.

"Football is over, this is the end," the Aston Villa midfielder was quoted as saying in the Bulgarian sports daily Tema Sport on Saturday. "I am now beginning to fight for my life and I will fight."

http://tinyurl.com/bnys5pd

Above all the negative this season, the playing style, the poor management and the owner being nowhere, above the player sales and more.. THIS is the most depressing thing to happen this season and for many seasons previous.

My heart is with Stan.

Sevilla do it every home game for the late Antonio Puerta, I think in the 28th minute (the minute he collapsed). It works very well and it's quite moving. I'm sure it'll work fine today.

Â