Steam

PussEKatt

SteamOS makes me want to get back into gaming on PC, I've only played Football Manager since about 2005, long gone are the days of Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike.

Anybody tried it out yet? I love a project, a hackintosh/windows/steamos triple boot might be nice to start in the new year.

I'll give it a go on my old machine, needs a much larger games catalog before I let it anywhere near my main rig though.

Dual boot?

At this time Steam OS doesn't support dual boot. There are some workarounds, such as installing each OS on a separate disk, or just installing StreamOS first and then the additional OS later, but most distros have enabled this since this inception, so it's a ridiculous problem to have in 2013.

The more I read about it,. the less I think I'll give SteamOS a try. I'd love for Linux to be a viable gaming alternative to Windows, but if it happens, I'll stick to Mint, there's little benefit to embracing Steam OS unless you have a machine hooked up to a TV, and I'm perfectly happy playing at my desk.

It's a system restore image. It's Debian. Steam said you'd need to be familiar with Linux installs to try it.

Use the Debian install method and choose "Advanced". If you are familiar with Debian installations it should be easy. I have to say "should" as I don't have an Nvidia video card so I've not tried it myself.

If you are not familiar with Debian installs, I'd wait until they release a version with a consumer installer.

I thought steam was the future. This all sounds a bit 1990's?

This is the open source development model. Release early and release often.

Consumers will use it when it's ready for consumers.

Aye, it's a soft launch.   Valve have an insane amount of money, they get a cut of every game sold on Steam so they can afford a marketing blitz when they think the time is right. At the moment they are just interested in making something which is good and will be ready for a more 'casual' audience.  When that day arrives I'd expect to see the kind of blanket advertising we saw with Left4Dead and Portal 2. Maybe more. 

Steam is the biggest platform at the moment. They have quite a big library and they have sales often. You can also put on auto-patch for your installed games so you don`t have to do it manually. It`s mostly preferred as it is convenient.

The negative aspect is that you are reliant on steam as a client. You can play offline but this mostly boils down to your stance on DRM. That`s about it. 

Can I ask as a complete noob and someone who hasn't had a PC for games in the best part of 8 years - what is Steam and why should/shouldn't I get it?

It's a digital distribution platform that also acts as a community and digital games library. It's the most common platform and some games require it to install at all. It has a few benefits - regular sales, games generally having some form of discount, convenience, it even has a system in place for easy adding of mods for some games like Skyrim. You can also buy games for the service from other retailers in the shape of Steamkeys meaning you can regularly take advantage of deals away from Steams own sales.

On the downside, it is DRM still and it is digital distribution in the main still (although a number of boxed titles utilise elements of Steam, things like achievements or cloud saving, for instance), and it isn't a one stop shop, though it's damn close, since EA and Ubisoft decided to release their own platforms a number of titles from those publishers either don't appear at all on the service (EA) or use both Steam and their own client at the same time (Ubi) which is annoying.

If you want to PC game, you pretty much require a Steam account. Now is a fairly good time to jump in as the Christmas sale is on meaning a dozen big deals a day for a week or so.

How come theres no pinned Steam gamertags topic? do PC gamers generally not play online against one another?

Well if anyone wants to add me im junxs and have no friends (junxs on all gaming platforms) we can compare trophies ;)

Â