Steam

PussEKatt

Didn't know which thread to put this in, but I'm absolutely pissed off beyond belief.

I've put a big amount of time into Assassin's Creed 4 on PC (purchased through Steam).  Today the game crashed, and when I restarted, I'd lost hours and hours of gameplay.  Having read up on it, seems like it's a widespread problem with the crappy Uplay autosave system.  Anyway, there's no way of redoing everything I did before for a second time, so that's getting deleted.  I don't suppose there is, but there should be a mechanism for getting a refund, as the game simply isn't fit to be sold with a widespread problem like that.

Try clicking the settings button in the uplay launcher and disabling cloud saves.

It's an incredibly shit system, but your local save should hopefully be in tact unless you've already had it overwritten by the older cloud save (which shouldn't happen if you haven't continued to play).

Cheers Dav, but tried all that, but it's gone.  I'd just got through the incredibly tedious bit where you have to sneak from bush to bush taking out the assassins by stealth, and any time you got discovered you had to start again.  The thought of doing that again is enough to have made me delete the game, and all that Steam bollocks straight away. 

But you said yourself it was a problem with Uplay, not Steam.

It's all the same online bollocks though isn't it?  I bought the game through Steam, but apparently any problems are nothing to do with them.

In case any hackers want to have a play with Steam and don't have a compatible device:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-Distributions/Ye-Olde-SteamOSe-103123.shtml

A mod of the SteamOS Linux operating system designed to support Legacy BIOS and UEFI

Ye Olde SteamOSe is an open source Linux operating system based on the SteamOS distribution created by Valve, but modified to work well with machines that still run a Legacy BIOS.

Ye Olde SteamOSe modifies the SteamOS installer, adding support for virtual machines, as well as older computers. In other words, you will be able to run the Steam Desktop on your old, BIOS powered computer or under a virtualization software, such as VirtualBox or VMWare.

In addition, this modified version of the SteamOS Linux distribution supports dual boot on both non-LVM and non-RAID systems, supports Wi-Fi and many networking cards, allows users to resize NTFS partitions, and supports many sound cards.

What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
  • Fixed regression in audio between first and second releases (added steam and desktop users to pulse-access group)
  • Modified Pulse config to not force a specific sound card, and to restore card volume on boot
  • Shipped a replacement debootstrap, which will not fail at random on users' systems when generating their own image
  • Included all non-Free firmware from Debian Wheezy
  • Added ntfsprogs-udeb to allow NTFS resizing in the installer
  • Deleted unneeded 32-bit installer files, freeing about 300MB from the image size
  • Include pavucontrol in the installaton

Details of 13 different Steam Machine's have been revealed via a brochure at CES in Vegas.

Prices range from $500 - $6000, with the majority being $1000-$1500, wowie zowie! As Digital Storm put it "We’re taking aim at the high end of the market, targeting consumers that demand the best possible gaming experience and who are looking for a PC capable of playing any title on their new 4K display." - their Steam Machine will retail for $2500. No details at all of any UK/EU availability, but the first ones are due to retail this month in the US.

Alienware are making one too, although no specs or price for that yet, and Steam havent confirmed or denied if they're going to make their own one - a proper one, that is, for sale, not the prototype.

Edited by hogso

Details of 13 different Steam Machine's have been revealed via a brochure at CES in Vegas.

Prices range from $500 - $6000, with the majority being $1000-$1500, wowie zowie! As Digital Storm put it "We’re taking aim at the high end of the market, targeting consumers that demand the best possible gaming experience and who are looking for a PC capable of playing any title on their new 4K display." - their Steam Machine will retail for $2500. No details at all of any UK/EU availability, but the first ones are due to retail this month in the US.

Alienware are making one too, although no specs or price for that yet, and Steam havent confirmed or denied if they're going to make their own one - a proper one, that is, for sale, not the prototype.

I imagine Valve will make and market a generic Steam Box that's upgradeable with Steam Os for the average user and leave the high end stuff to someone else. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. Good move from Valve basically trying to remove Windows from high end gaming and get PC users dual booting SteamOS and Windows (or just Steam OS only).  Anyone installed SteamOS (beta) yet?  

Some prices and specs of the different Steam machines

Alternate – $1,339 (£817)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4570
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 760
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 1TB SSHD

CyberPowerPC – $499 and up (£305+)
CPU: AMD/Intel Core i5 CPU
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 270/Nvidia GTX 760
RAM: 8GB
Storage: 500GB

Digital Storm Bolt II – $2,584 (£1,577)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
Graphics: GTX 780 Ti
Storage: 1TB HDD + 120 GB SSD

Gigabyte Brix Pro – TBD
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770R
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 5200
RAM: 2 x 4GB
Storage: 1TB SATA 6Gb/sata

Falcon Northwest Tiki – $1,799 to $6,000 (£1,098 to £3,662)
CPU: customisable
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan
RAM: 8 to 16 GB
Storage: up to 6TB

iBuyPower – $499 and up (£305+)
CPU: Quad-core AMD or Intel
Graphics: Radeon GCN Graphics
Storage: 500GB+

Materiel.net – $1,098 (£670)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4440
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC
Storage: 8GB + 1TB SSHD

Next SPA – TBD
CPU: Intel Core i5
Graphics: Nvidia GT 760
Storage: 1TB

Origin PC Chronos – TBD
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (3.9 to 4.6 GHz)
Graphics: 2 x 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX Titans

Scan NC10 – $1,090 (£665)
CPU: Intel Core i3 4000M
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
Storage: 500GB

Webhallen – $1,499 (£915)
CPU: Intel Core i7
Graphics: Nvidia GT 780
Storage: 1TB SSHD

Zotac – $599 (£366)
CPU: Intel Core (TBD)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX
RAM: TBD
Storage: TBD

Edited by packoman

Some nice specs. Just need some games that justify the hardware. Valve have built it, will the devs come?

Well...yes, they will. You'll be able to play games that are on steam on them. Of course that doesn't mean every game on PC, but it's a lot of them.

I'm just struggling to see the appeal of something that has less functionality than a top end gaming PC - why, if you had the $ and could run steamos on a top spec custom built PC, would you want a steam machine that was as good technically, but does less?

Some nice specs. Just need some games that justify the hardware. Valve have built it, will the devs come?

Well...yes, they will. You'll be able to play games that are on steam on them. Of course that doesn't mean every game on PC, but it's a lot of them.

Well, kind of, you can play games that are on Steam, that run on Linux. You can not use SteamOS to run all games published on Steam, unless you're basically using this as an RDP client and streaming games from your high end Windows machine, in which case, what's the point, why not just run an HDMI cable?

They need AAA devs to publish games to Linux for this to be worthwhile.

Edited by Davkaus

I'm just struggling to see the appeal of something that has less functionality than a top end gaming PC - why, if you had the $ and could run steamos on a top spec custom built PC, would you want a steam machine that was as good technically, but does less?

I *think* Valve are trying to market it as a console alternative. So when you buy your Steam machine you don't need to know anything about PC's or hardware you just need to plug it in, create a steam account and start playing games. Also it's part of the plan to remove windows from the picture and give Valve more end to end control.

Well, kind of, you can play games that are on Steam, that run on Linux. You can not use SteamOS to run all games published on Steam, unless you're basically using this as an RDP client and streaming games from your high end Windows machine, in which case, what's the point, why not just run an HDMI cable?

They need AAA devs to publish games to Linux for this to be worthwhile.

Quite right, seems I vastly overestimated the number of games on Steam that are compatible with Linux :lol:

Edited by hogso

the number of games on Steam that are compatible with Linux :lol:

This is the real issue for Valve. Sure they can get indie Dev's to develop Linux games and Valve will obviously support Linux with all of their games but for big developers, Direct X support and Ease of porting Xbox code to windows means Linux support would just be a royal pain the ass. Although I think the newer GFX cards have a system to support multi OS AFAIK.

Â