Steam

PussEKatt

I thought I'd been sensible during this sale, thenlooked through the list and saw I'd bought 16 games. Oops.

I tried to branch out a bit from my usual safezone of FPS and open world RPGs, so amongst other things I picked up Mortal Kombat, having not played a fighter since MK3. It's **** brutal. My thumb does not move quickly enough to perform combos, how are people so damn fast.

So far of the games I've bought I've finished Gunpoint and Deadlight, plus the Walking Dead 400 days DLC, with Blood Dragon next in line. I'm determined to finish the campaign of every single game in my library before I buy anything else. Except for Dark Souls, because **** that.

Also got the walking dead in the sale. Finished it last night and it was absolutely brilliant.

Yeah it's easily my favourite game of the last 10 years.

Wow! High praise indeed. I enjoyed it too, although some eps were a lot better than others, and the look of it wasn't great. It was almost as if a game with practically zero gameplay didn't any right to be as good as it was, but it was excellent.

If I try to think of any other games I enjoyed as much as The Walking Dead I can't. Fallout 3 comes close, maybe vanilla WoW.

I ended up with Far Cry 3 & Blood Dragon, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Sleeping Dogs, Rogue Legacy and Bit Trip Presents: Runner 2. All for around £40 I think. I'll be more than occupied for a while. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Valve are making 3 announcements on Monday. One is definitely something to do with the Steambox, they've basically already confirmed that. But the other 2...

Of course Valve know everyone is looking out for clues to Half-life 3 in everything they do but they've gone completely overboard with the references to 3 this time. Will Monday be the day?

Or will it be Dota 3/L4D3/Portal 3?... We shall see.

Fingers crossed.

My bets are Steambox details/reveal, Steam overhaul, and a new game - I hope it's HL3 but something won't let me believe it so I'll go with Portal 3. But I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Chindie

Please let it be HL3

If they announce it, I won't believe them.

I'll start to believe they might be serious when it's released on Steam, and I've downloaded it, finished it, and read each line of the credits, but I'd still be suspicious.

I wouldn't mind Portal 3. If it's L4D3, I'll need to play L4D and L4D2 that are in my 'paid for but never downloaded' list.

Even though my PC is higher spec than anything likely to be announced as a Steambox, I'm very excited, it can't do anything but expand the PC gaming market, and hopefully bring some of those console exclusive titles to the glorious master gaming race's platform of choice, if there's sufficient interest.

Edited by Davkaus

What is this steambox meant to be? A straight up console, or a pc that you plug a mouse & keyboard into with Valves own operating system?

More importantly will it be affordable as I know proper gaming PCs cost upwards of £1k

It's all guessing right now, but I think the most common expectation is a mid-level PC that will work out of the box with a controller and steam big picture mode, most likely running Ubuntu. Valve are very unlikely to have developed their own OS.

£1k will buy you a ridiculously good rig that will run every game out there comfortably at highest settings at a resolution of 1600*1200, and even higher if multiple monitors take your fancy. Mine cost a bit less than that about 2 years ago, and I expect it'll live through the next console generation.

You can get a decent PC that'll play games at 1080p at a decent graphic quality for half that. It's really unfair to compare consoles which run at lower resolutions, lower framerates, and much lower graphic levels than a high-end gaming PC, then complain about how expensive gaming PCs are.

I'd expect the steambox to be priced very aggressively if they want to take market share off the consoles, it's not aimed at people who already play on the PC. It has to be around the price of the Xbone, any more and I can't see it selling.

Edited by Davkaus

I do wonder how SteamOS will work? I been there since the very beginning with steam but I don`t know, a whole operating system? Maybe, if the changes in games are significant and other general things in the OS works properly then I might go for it. Still very happy with win7 so I am in no rush to change. 

They were never going to announce a game, this week was about Steam as a platform.  I can't see how HL3 could live up to expectations at this point either. 

zM7CYc7.jpg

The controller is really interesting though.  In fact this whole week has made me think whether I want a PS4 or not. 

Â