Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

New rules force Man City to sell...

New rules force Man City to sell 12 players

Manchester City will have to offload around 12 players before the transfer window closes at the end of next month - otherwise they will be left with players they are unable to play.

New Premier League rules state that a club must submit a squad of 25 players on September 1, and only those players will be eligible to be named in a matchday squad. Clubs can supplement that list with an unlimited number of players aged 21 or under, but in Manchester City's case they are currently well over the 25-man limit.

Players such as Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy, Jo, Felipe Caicedo, Micah Richards, Michael Johnson, Vincent Kompany, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stephen Ireland, Nigel De Jong, Kelvin Etuhu, Pablo Zabaleta and Nedum Onuoha could find themselves out in the cold if they are still at Eastlands when the transfer window closes. Robinho is also officially still a City player.

And City could be forced to accept reduced fees for these players as rival clubs look to take advantage of their situation.

Manager Roberto Mancini said: "I know that we must sell some players because in 20 days [sic] we must have a list with 25 players. I am disappointed because some players must change teams now. It is difficult for them to play for us. When you play in four competitions you must have a large squad because if not you have difficulties. For this it's important we have 25 players."

Unable to be registered for Premier League action, any player omitted from the 25-man squad will be forced to either go out on loan to a Football League club or spend four months kicking their heels until the winter transfer window.

And with City hoping to add James Milner to their ranks in the coming weeks they will have to offload yet another player to make way for the Aston Villa man in their team list.

Eight of the 25-man squad must be 'home grown', meaning they played in England or Wales for three seasons before their 21st birthday. City have no problem fulfilling that requirement.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Villa I don't think Milner is worth £24m, but you're gonna have to pay that or more to get him. We'd probably sell to United for £18-£20m but they don't have $500bn in the bank.
Do you seriously believe that? Wow.
I think that we'd probably not hold out for as much if Utd were bidding.

We might not ask for £30m, but an offer of £18-20m (which is the first offer we got from City btw) would be dismissed as derisory by us no matter who made it.

To the wider point of City though, they cant spend two years inflating the market than complain about it can they? That is a bit like Alan Carr complaining that something is "too camp" isnt it?

I should just really laugh at this stuff now, but I somehow still find myself needing to correct their bullshit. Presuming we sign Milner and Balotelli:

25 Man Squad (13 HG):

Shay Given / Joe Hart / Stuart Taylor / Jerome Boateng / Joleon Lescott / Wayne Bridge / Micah Richards / Nedum Onohua / Vincent Kompany / Aleksander Kolarov / Kolo Toure / Pablo Zabaleta / Adam Johnson / David Silva / Gareth Barry / Patrick Vieira / Yaya Toure / Nigel de Jong / Stephen Ireland / Michael Johnson / James Milner* / Shaun Wright-Phillips / Emmanuel Adebayor / Craig Bellamy / Carlos Tevez

Supplementary Under 21s:

Dedryk Boyata / Greg Cunningham / Keiran Trippier / Jeremy Helan / Abdi Ibrahim / Vladimir Weiss / John Guidetti / Alex Tchuimeni-Nimely / Mario Balotelli*

Players Not In The Squad To Sell/Exchange/Loan:

David Gonzales / Javan Vidal / Javier Garrido / Salem Logan / Kelvin Etuhu / Felipe Caicedo / Jô / Robinho / Roque Santa Cruz

It's hardly clearing out the ranks is it? If Onohua goes as is expected, you can stick a striker in there instead. Of that list anyway, Johnson is out until December so doesn't need to be registered (but he's in the 25 anyway), Kelvin Etuhu is getting banged up and isn't particularly good anyway, Robinho is fully expected to leave as is RSC, Vidal and Logan will be loaned out again. In fact, the only person there I'm bothered about losing is Garrido and that's more because he's a nice guy rather than he's a good player.

You can class Balotelli as not a fully paid up squad member. What is the point in these rules if you can find loopholes like that?

You'd be buying a player for £25 million plus yet he won't be a proper squad member according to City.

Its not a loophole. Mario Balotelli is 19 years old, and age rules are based on a players age. You cant create rules based on a players transfer fee.

At a double bill today. Tottenham vs Sporting Lisbon and Man City vs NY Red Bulls. Shocked by how crap the City fans were. Despite a sizable group (couple of hunded) not a peep out of them all through their game Meanwhile the Spuds and Red Bulls fans were taunting them and still not a sound.

Are you actually complaining about the volume of our fans in a country that we've never visited before, in a pre-season friendly? Did you expect the place to be rocking? Do you think any of the hardcore following is going to spend the several thousand pounds to go over there to watch us play a NY team, when we've just paid for season tickets, and have a full calender of European trips on the horizon when none of the new or World Cup players were there and the game was on ESPN?

I apologise if you've had a bad experience with the loudness of the fans of City's reserves who were 3000 miles away from home, please feel free to come to Eastlands next year where you'll find a much better atmosphere.

please feel free to come to Eastlands next year where you'll find a much better atmosphere.

The atmosphere at your crappy 'bowl' of a ground is bloody awful. There, I said it...

I said this in another thread but why arent man city buying absolutely a FEW top draw players (like torres) rather than a lot of very good players. Seems they would be better off spending 200 million on 4 players than on about a hundred players?

I said this in another thread but why arent man city buying absolutely a FEW top draw players (like torres) rather than a lot of very good players. Seems they would be better off spending 200 million on 4 players than on about a hundred players?

They have to walk before they can run.

If they finish top 4 this season expect the 50mill+ signings to start.

Are you actually complaining about the volume of our fans in a country that we've never visited before, in a pre-season friendly? Did you expect the place to be rocking? Do you think any of the hardcore following is going to spend the several thousand pounds to go over there to watch us play a NY team, when we've just paid for season tickets, and have a full calender of European trips on the horizon when none of the new or World Cup players were there and the game was on ESPN?

So he made the mistake of thinking you'd be like our fans? And havent spurs got all of the above and still made some noise? Surely you lot havent got that many plastic fans aready?

I apologise if you've had a bad experience with the loudness of the fans of City's reserves who were 3000 miles away from home, please feel free to come to Eastlands next year where you'll find a much better atmosphere.

Tottenham fans, Sporting Lisbon fans all traveled over and acted like traveling fans. Man City fans, they didn't really know what they were doing. It was pathetic.

Im sure we are all sick to death with hearing the latest on the James Milner saga. So an article where Manchester City say they are prepared to offer £70m for Torres too.

Where in that article do Manchester City say that? Please provide the quote.

In regards to our fans, I'm pretty happy at the levels of noise made by our 47,000 every week. I've done over 40 of the 92, and whilst we are not the loudest sets of fans (Stoke), we are above average.

As I said, almost none of the proper fans went out to the US because of the expense. The guys who were there were the guys on holiday with their families which isn't exactly a recipe for success. I personally didn't go, because I overspent for the World Cup and know that we have a Europa League group coming up that I need to save for. I'm not spending £3000 to watch Alex Nimley and Greg Cunningham run around, I can do that at Hyde for nothing. We always get ridiculous bloody teams in East Europe that you have to pay £1000 to a local donkey man to take you over the mountains to get to. It was only a few years back that we were drawn in the Faroe Islands and some of us had to get on a fishing trawler to get over there. I, and most other fans, simply can't afford to get over there and go to Europe this season. It's a lot of bloody money, in the same month that we renewed our £400 season tickets.

So yeah, whilst I cannot speak for the Spurs or Sporting fans, that's pretty much the problem with the City lot; it wasn't really made up of our regular matchgoers. If Spurs and Sporting fans can afford their season tickets, a £3000 trip to the US, then the cost to travel around Europe all season then more power to them (the jammy bastards).

Tottenham fans, Sporting Lisbon fans all traveled over and acted like traveling fans. Man City fans, they didn't really know what they were doing. It was pathetic.

They're not used to travelling abroad for matches though to be fair. ;)

Â