Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

I agree that supporting and following a team is different, but the point I was trying to make to Glaston was that to be such loud singers and live in NY, they must regularly attend WHL. I suppose that's why WHL gets 35,000 every week, because they have a huge global fan base and for years they have flocked from all over the world to watch their heroes such as Jason Cundy and Ruel Fox.

:lol:

I can't believe you sunk to that level in an attempt to make a point.

Any Premier League club can claim to have a global fan base. I'm sure if you go around the majority of the world, there'll be Birmingham City fans in every country.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, Celtic, Real and Barca have 'real' global fanbases. The rest pretend they do.

Pretty much agree with the above.

We have City fans around the world; in Australia, South Africa, the U.S., in Thailand, but they are mainly ex-pats who went over there and continued to follow their football team. We are nowhere near the level of the teams mentioned above in terms of international fanbase and I don't expect us to be any time in the next 20 years.

The people who were in NY were the family crowd, a few of the Mad Hatter's (a bar where the NY City supporters club is based) and a few blues who travelled from around the U.S. I'm expecting a much better atmosphere from us against Dortmund in a few weeks.

For those interested by the way, City are playing Club America on ESPN this Thursday night at 7.30 and all of the World Cup guys will be back, including Yaya and Silva, who are expected to start. After that, we've got Inter Milan and am thoroughly expecting us to get stuffed in that one.

we've got Inter Milan and am thoroughly expecting us to get stuffed in that one.

they have Benitez in charge now , he makes Mancini look half decent :-)

Roberto Mancini challenges Stephen Ireland to prove himself at City

• Manager ponders cutting Ireland, Bellamy for 25-man squad

• 'Someone will have to miss out but right now I don't know who'

Andy Hunter in New York

The Guardian, Tuesday 27 July 2010

Manchester City's Stephen Ireland, left, has been told by City manager Roberto Mancini to prove himself. Photograph: Stan Honda/AFP/Getty Images

Roberto Mancini has told Stephen Ireland to prove he belongs at Manchester City next season but has yet to decide whether the Irish midfielder or Craig Bellamy will feature on his final 25-man squad list.

Ireland's future at City, who are in discussions with Internazionale over the possible €30m (£25m)signing of Mario Balotelli, is in serious doubt after he was informed the club would not stand in the way of an offer for his services. The 23-year-old was City's Player of the Year in 2009 but suffered a dramatic dip in form last season and has vowed to fight for his place at Eastlands despite the threat of limited opportunities.

Mancini has denied having a personal issue with the central midfielder, or telling Ireland he will not be on the squad list that must be submitted to the Premier League at the end of August. However, he admits Ireland has still to convince he can hold a place in a team swelled by the arrivals of fellow midfielders Yaya Touré, David Silva and possibly James Milner this summer.

The City manager said: "I have to cut my squad down to 25 and at this moment I have more than 30 so someone will have to miss out but right now I don't know who it will be. I have not decided anything about Stephen Ireland. There has been no problem with him on the tour. He could still have a future here. I don't know how it's possible for him to think otherwise because I haven't decided. It is up to him to prove himself to me."

Ireland captained City in their second pre-season defeat, a 2-1 loss to New York Red Bulls on Sunday, but was withdrawn at half-time. "I made Stephen captain of the team so that shows I still have belief in him," said Mancini. "The only reason I took him off at half-time was because he played 90 minutes the other night against Sporting. I am concerned about players doing too much and getting injuries."

Mancini was equivocal on Ireland's future should a club move for the midfielder this summer. "We would have to see," he said, and admitted Bellamy is another high-profile player with an uncertain future at the club. "It is clear that some of the players we have here are going to be left off the list. I am not sure yet if one of those will be Bellamy. At this moment it is impossible to know which players will be on that final list."

City officials and the agent of Balotelli have denied reports in the Italian media that the 19-year-old is on the brink of a move to Eastlands that would take the club's spending past the £100m mark for the summer. La Gazzetta dello Sport has claimed the troubled forward has signed a four-year deal with City worth €4m (£3.35m) per season, and held a leaving party with friends in Milan on Saturday night.

No fee has been agreed between City and the reigning European champions, however, and the proposed transfer has also hit a problem over the teenager's exorbitant wage demands. Balotelli is believed to be seeking more than £80,000-a-week to join City who, despite their vast resources, are reluctant to commit to those figures on a talented but inexperienced player. Balotelli's agent, Mino Raiola, said: "Nothing has been signed between Balotelli and Manchester City and I doubt anything will be in the next few days."

Mancini has confirmed an interest in Fernando Torres should the Spain international decide to leave Liverpool, but Balotelli and the Wolfsburg forward Edin Dzeko are more likely arrivals.

Emmanuel Adebayor, meanwhile, has admitted he is still to establish himself at City 12 months after his £25m transfer from Arsenal. The Togo striker scored 14 goals in his debut season but his contribution was interrupted by injury, suspension and the attack of his team bus at the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola that left three people dead.

"Last season was difficult for lots of reasons," said Adebayor. "I had got banned, I got injured and there was the terrorist attack so it was hard. I've never had a season like that before. I've never had a season where I've played less than 35 games but I missed a lot of football last season.

"I think the title is realistic [for City next season]. We've had some good players come in like David Silva and Yaya Touré. We're as strong as United and Chelsea."

Clicky

For those interested by the way, City are playing Club America on ESPN this Thursday night at 7.30 and all of the World Cup guys will be back, including Yaya and Silva, who are expected to start. After that, we've got Inter Milan and am thoroughly expecting us to get stuffed in that one.

Liverpool's season starts thursday night so I might tune in for that one instead. See what Woy has brought to the team.

I think you will beat Inter, the Italian teams are always way behind the Prem teams in terms of fitness becuase their season starts a couple of weeks later. I think Inter have lost to prem opposition for a few years in a row now at a similar stage during preseason.

Lol had to laugh at David Silva trying to suck up to the Man City fans earlier on. "They shout and sing all the time". Yeah, the city of Manchester stadium is renowned as a place to be feared. Not.

They can wank over these signings all they like. With Mancini in charge and a coaching staff consisting of Lombardo and Platt, these c**ts will find a way of **** it all up. Citehh and the Manc equivalent of the noses.

From the mouths of success they'll grasp failure.

Lol had to laugh at David Silva trying to suck up to the Man City fans earlier on. "They shout and sing all the time". Yeah, the city of Manchester stadium is renowned as a place to be feared. Not.

In that stadium you need ear plugs the noise is that bad, not in a good way though, in a bad way. Everything seems to have the bass sucked out of it, sounds like the crowds used to be at those England vs Germany schoolboy international games at Wembley, really irritatingly high pitched

They can wank over these signings all they like. With Mancini in charge and a coaching staff consisting of Lombardo and Platt, these c**ts will find a way of **** it all up. Citehh and the Manc equivalent of the noses.

From the mouths of success they'll grasp failure.

Rubbish that Mancini is. All he's ever won is:

Coppa Italia: 2000–01

Coppa Italia: 2003–04

Serie A: 2005–06; 2006–07; 2007–08

Coppa Italia: 2004–05; 2005–06

Supercoppa Italiana: 2005; 2006

We should have appointed MON, I mean, he's won the SPL 3 times, which is far stronger league than Italy.

Much better he is!

Â