Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You're kidding me saying that Ancelotti isn't regarded as one of the best managers out there :D 

Has been people on here who said Everton were going to have a great season because they sacked Ancelotti......I should note this was before Benitez took over

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, I'd imagine Alex Ferguson's win percentage to be heavily affected by his first 6 seasons where United's average finish was something like 9th. There were 2 seasons in 89-90 where his win % was 34% for example.

Fair shout - just checked on the Premier League (so them winning the first season and benefiting from everything that came with it) and his win percentage was 65%, compared to 43% in the old First Division.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No. Sorry just no.

Why isn't Sean Dyche being hired by Chelsea and Man City then?

If you put Sean Dyche in charge of Man City when Pep took over would he have had the same success?

I'd say it's very very VERY unlikely he'd have had anywhere near the sort of success

I don't know about Man City (sounds like a bridge too far), but I find it weird how he isn't talked about more and isn't linked with bigger jobs when they're available. It probably has something to do with his style of football because even Eddie Howe was being linked to everything at one point. Right now Graham Potter is flavour of the month, but Dyche has been outperforming him these last couple of seasons with much less backing. What he's done at Burnley is remarkable. But because he plays "ugly" percentage football, it seems nobody would touch him with a barge pole apart from smaller clubs probably.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know about Man City (sounds like a bridge too far), but I find it weird how he isn't talked about more and isn't linked with bigger jobs when they're available. It probably has something to do with his style of football because even Eddie Howe was being linked to everything at one point. Right now Graham Potter is flavour of the month, but Dyche has been outperforming him these last couple of seasons with much less backing. What he's done at Burnley is remarkable. But because he plays "ugly" percentage football, it seems nobody would touch him with a barge pole apart from smaller clubs probably.

I agree. He's a very good manager. 

But people don't seem to realise that different managers are better at different things.

Would Pep have done with Burnley what Dyche has? I have no idea, but probably not. But the same works the other way round.

The reason Pep is held in such high regard is because he is very very good at winning things with big clubs. Which is exactly the kind of manager those big clubs want.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But people don't seem to realise that different managers are better at different things.

Would Pep have done with Burnley what Dyche has? I have no idea, but probably not. But the same works the other way round.

The reason Pep is held in such high regard is because he is very very good at winning things with big clubs. Which is exactly the kind of manager those big clubs want.

Yeah I don't get the argument of "would Pep be able to do what Dyche is doing at Burnley?". I mean why would he want to? The goal of football is to win football matches and trophies and he appears to be the best around at doing that. There are plenty of managers who also manage top clubs with big resources, including the clubs that Pep was at, yet none of them seem to have done better than him. Surely he must be doing something right. 

If we somehow broke into the top 4 and Dean Smith had to leave for whatever reason and we were linked to Guardiola, we'd lose our minds. Doubt the same would happen with Dyche :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But not the champions league, which seems to be ok for him not to win and doesn't hurt his reputation. 

I think there's lots of managers who would win the bundesliga with Bayern, they've continued to dominate without pep, and the prem with a billion pounds at City. 

Yet he can't win the prize both clubs wanted more than anything else. 

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But not the champions league, which seems to be ok for him not to win and doesn't hurt his reputation. 

I think there's lots of managers who would win the bundesliga with Bayern, they've continued to dominate without pep, and the prem with a billion pounds at City. 

Yet he can't win the prize both clubs wanted more than anything else. 

Well he has won it twice which literally no manager that has ever lived except for Zidane, Paisley and Ancelotti has bettered.

But I don't agree that it doesn't hurt his reputation. It absolutely is hurting his reputation, especially as it's the main thing people who don't rate him throw at him. The reason his reputation is still high, however, is because he's obviously a very good manager

I still disagree that he has to win a CL at city and that's the 1 measuring stick their owners will have for him, that's an easy criticism for people who don't rate him 

He's won the PL with record points, won it with record goals scored, won it playing brilliant attacking football

Same as grealish, they need to grow their fan base, they have a manager with what is widely considered to be brilliant football (I know a few will say the death by a thousand passes stuff is shit) pep is the perfect manager for them, they won't get better, I really don't see their owners having anything even close to a negative opinion on him 

I think his bizarre decision not to sign a striker will cost him the league and champions league this season.

Playing his only striker out wide yesterday also suggests he’s over thinking the game.

They have embarrassment of riches in the creative midfield area, but then nobody to focus that skill onto.

They will go close but I think the lack of out and out striker will cause them to fall just short.

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Even if it doesn't cost them he'll still get it in the neck for not doing it, grealish too

It'll be their defence if they win the league again, Dias was a brilliant signing, conceded 3 in 7 games including the 2 yesterday 

I agree. I think we could get Top 4 if we had Diaz in defence . He is that good.  A big character as well.  As for Pep he definitely fiddles too much. Their football leaves me cold as it is so scientific and system based. The exact opposite of Jacks attributes. A match made in heaven or hell . Probably somewhere in the middle to be fair 

In every game they have played  they have been the better side but whats hurting them more than anything is the lack of a Striker.  They don't ever need to sign the best one. A Danny Ings would score 25 Premier League goals for them a season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

In every game they have played  they have been the better side but whats hurting them more than anything is the lack of a Striker.  They don't ever need to sign the best one. A Danny Ings would score 25 Premier League goals for them a season. 

I was thinking this yesterday watching them. They don’t need a £150m striker because of what they have behind them. I also thought that Danny Ings would score a lot of goals for them! 

Not that I think you can reasonably expect him to, or that he needs to do it to ‘qualify’ as a top level manager, but I would love to see Pep Guardiola take on an underdog kind of club. I think that would be a lot of fun. 

9 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Not that I think you can reasonably expect him to, or that he needs to do it to ‘qualify’ as a top level manager, but I would love to see Pep Guardiola take on an underdog kind of club. I think that would be a lot of fun. 

I think he'd get a tune out of just about anyone, he rocks up at burnley and the buzz around the place would elevate them, they'd buy in to what he's selling

Dyche rocks up at city and their £50m £200k a week league winning International CM gets told he's not made the squad today and think who the **** is this clown, they won't buy what he's selling 

Stroking the egos of a billion pound squad of that quality is underrated, completely disagree that anyone can do it... But I think pep could do it just about anywhere, so much of football is mental and you watch like all or nothing and I'm convinced he'd get the dog and duck promoted 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think his bizarre decision not to sign a striker will cost him the league and champions league this season.

Playing his only striker out wide yesterday also suggests he’s over thinking the game.

They have embarrassment of riches in the creative midfield area, but then nobody to focus that skill onto.

They will go close but I think the lack of out and out striker will cause them to fall just short.

They'll still win the league. But I agree I don't think they'll win the CL

And I don't think it's his decision not to buy a striker. I doubt he has much of a say. I'm sure he's told the club he needs a striker but he hasn't been given one.

And the Jesus thing is weird but he also seems to be far better out wide than he ever was up front.

But yeah they definitely need a solution up top

Just now, Stevo985 said:

They'll still win the league. But I agree I don't think they'll win the CL

And I don't think it's his decision not to buy a striker. I doubt he has much of a say. I'm sure he's told the club he needs a striker but he hasn't been given one.

And the Jesus thing is weird but he also seems to be far better out wide than he ever was up front.

But yeah they definitely need a solution up top

Jesus is an odd one because he’s playing well out there… but it still leaves a striker shaped hole in the middle. Why even try it when they have the Sterling and Mahrez on the bench. It’s weird.

We’ll never know about who isn’t delivering a striker. It was an obvious flaw last season and it wasn’t addressed, but a mega transfer for someone they didn’t really need was.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Jesus is an odd one because he’s playing well out there… but it still leaves a striker shaped hole in the middle. Why even try it when they have the Sterling and Mahrez on the bench. It’s weird.

We’ll never know about who isn’t delivering a striker. It was an obvious flaw last season and it wasn’t addressed, but a mega transfer for someone they didn’t really need was.

I don't think Grealish's transfer makes a difference to be honest.

I don't think that was the reason City didn't sign a striker.

Aguero started 7 league games last year and 18 the year before, you could argue that they've been playing with no striker for a while 

Why they didn't buy some 18 year old 2 years ago though is weird, they should have planned for aguero leaving long before he actually did 

Â