Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

24 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Barca: Already had a great team build by Rijkaard + Xavi, inieta And Messi. 

a massive nope, he had to tear barca up and start again

fortunately he got to start again with xavi, iniesta, messi and busquets and then in transfer window 1 bought pique and dani alves...but he did a massive rebuild there

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

fortunately he got to start again with xavi, iniesta, messi and busquets and then in transfer window 1 bought pique and dani alves...but he did a massive rebuild there

Puyol, Abidal, Etoo, Henry, Marquez. They had one of the top 3 squads in Europe

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They were barely top 3 in la liga in his final season... 

Teams have bad seasons. Chelsea finished 11th or something a few seasons back

Its just a myth that Barcelona were so shit until Pep turned up

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Teams have bad seasons. Chelsea finished 11th or something a few seasons back

Its just a myth that Barcelona were so shit until Pep turned up

barca 07/08 to 08/09 is one of the biggest swings in recent footballing history

barca were an absolute mess under rijkaard, too many big names under performing, going nowhere to doing the treble in a year

you can dislike pep all you like but you cant discredit it 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

barca 07/08 to 08/09 is one of the biggest swings in recent footballing history

barca were an absolute mess under rijkaard, too many big names under performing, going nowhere to doing the treble in a year

you can dislike pep all you like but you cant discredit it 

Season before they came 3rd and a wonder goal from the champions league final. If thats a mess then i will take that

Hardly Leicester 2016 or even West Ham last season turn around 

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Is it a massive rebuild if you have 3-4 of the worlds top players already?

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is it a massive rebuild if you have 3-4 of the worlds top players already?

Yes

They weren't the world's top players when he took over, they were great players full of potential but look at who he kicked out and then brought in to the first team

And then smashed the treble playing incredible football in his first season

Too many are too stubborn to see any kind of achievement in it

If someone took over from Ole at utd and won the treble next year would we all say that's one hell of an achievement or just shrug and say utd we're brilliant anyway... What if they did it with a 7 or 8 player turnover and a complete change in style?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Bayern is the big one. Lewandowski has massively improved since Pep left same with Muller, Pep started his slump. A lot of the players were delighted he left 

As for City they have the biggest budget so he hasnt done anything special in England. Its like somebody saying Brendan Rodgers did great at Celtic

That Bayern team should've conquered Europe for atleast 5 years it absolutely dominated that season under Heynckes. 

Pep came in and destroyed it all. 

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes

They weren't the world's top players when he took over, they were great players full of potential but look at who he kicked out and then brought in to the first team

If someone took over from Ole at utd and won the treble next year would we all say that's one hell of an achievement or just shrug and say utd we're brilliant anyway... What if they did it with a 7 or 8 player turnover and a complete change in style?

Spain had just won Euro 2008 by dominating midfield and Messi was already world class but had fitness doubts 

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes

It's amazing how lucky such a shit manager has gotten isn't it :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Got absolutely annilhated online for this. But I stand by it. 

What Sean Dyche has done at Burnley is harder than what Pep has done at Barca, Bayern and Man City. 

No wonder you got annihilated to be fair :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Got absolutely annilhated online for this. But I stand by it. 

What Sean Dyche has done at Burnley is harder than what Pep has done at Barca, Bayern and Man City. 

No. Sorry just no.

Why isn't Sean Dyche being hired by Chelsea and Man City then?

If you put Sean Dyche in charge of Man City when Pep took over would he have had the same success?

I'd say it's very very VERY unlikely he'd have had anywhere near the sort of success

I don't agree with the Sean Dyche thing. I do think Pep is over hyped. I'd say what Wenger did at Arsenal and Klopp with Liverpool is more impressive than anything Pep has achieved. 

No other manager has had things as easy as Pep. From inheriting truly world class players, to being in a one team league and being given a billion pounds to buy players. He's never had to work under difficult conditions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't agree with the Sean Dyche thing. I do think Pep is over hyped. I'd say what Wenger did at Arsenal and Klopp with Liverpool is more impressive than anything Pep has achieved. 

No other manager has had things as easy as Pep. From inheriting truly world class players, to being in a one team league and being given a billion pounds to buy players. He's never had to work under difficult conditions. 

Zidane 3 Champions Leagues and 2 league titles in a combined 4 years at Real. 

Nobody has labelled him a genius. Ancelotti another one even though he made Italian football more attack minded

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Aside from, of course, the massive weight of expectation which, ultimately, causes most "elite" managers to be out of a job very quickly.

He has a win percentage of over 72% for his entire managerial career - currently 72.7% at Man City.  For context here, Alex Ferguson's win record at Man Utd was just shy of 60% during a period in which (I would argue) it was 'easier' for Man Utd to win the league than it is for any team currently.  People would - quite rightly - regard Ferguson as one of the greatest ever.   His critics will say he should win the Champions League more regularly - probably quite rightly, and I'm sure he thinks the same too - but it smells a bit of the whole "Messi hasn't won something with Argentina" scenario.  It's much harder to establish domestic dominance (well, not in Germany) than to win the Champions League.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Zidane 3 Champions Leagues and 2 league titles in a combined 4 years at Real. 

Nobody has labelled him a genius. Ancelotti another one even though he made Italian football more attack minded

You're kidding me saying that Ancelotti isn't regarded as one of the best managers out there :D 

Interesting point on Zidane - I suppose the answer would be... how do his teams play?  What has he implemented that worked particularly well?  People tend to know how Guardiola or Klopp or Ancelotti or Mourinho or Tuchel or Simeone sides will play; they have a bit of a philosophy to them.  What does a Zidane team look like?  I have no idea, personally.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Aside from, of course, the massive weight of expectation which, ultimately, causes most "elite" managers to be out of a job very quickly.

He has a win percentage of over 72% for his entire managerial career - currently 72.7% at Man City.  For context here, Alex Ferguson's win record at Man Utd was just shy of 60% during a period in which (I would argue) it was 'easier' for Man Utd to win the league than it is for any team currently.  People would - quite rightly - regard Ferguson as one of the greatest ever.   His critics will say he should win the Champions League more regularly - probably quite rightly, and I'm sure he thinks the same too - but it smells a bit of the whole "Messi hasn't won something with Argentina" scenario.  It's much harder to establish domestic dominance (well, not in Germany) than to win the Champions League.

Yeah I do agree with the expectation thing but Bayern and City both seem to let him off with failures in the champions league. Would all managers get the same? 

He's a very good manager but I just think he gets way too overhyped. He literally has everything at his disposal. I don't think you can manage the greatest player of all time and have a billion pounds in spending money and not have those things mentioned when talking about success. 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To be fair, I'd imagine Alex Ferguson's win percentage to be heavily affected by his first 6 seasons where United's average finish was something like 9th. There were 2 seasons in 89-90 where his win % was 34% for example.

• Thanks 1

Â