Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

On 10/1/2017 at 19:33, PaulC said:

I think he has revolutionised the way football is played and it does take a season for his players to adapt properly to his style of play. United are a threat but City have come through a much more difficult opening. For sake of Football I hope Pep wins this one over Jose. 

LOL, it's a brand of football that can only be effectively deployed if you have >£300m to spend on players, hardly a revolution at all, also it's not as though possession based high press football didn't exist before Guardiola. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 09:50, PaulC said:

Bayern are far worse now since he left. I think he will need a title as well as a champions league to define his tenure. But I honestly believe this season that anyone of 4 Premier League clubs could win the champions league. Mourinho  is his great adversary and are polar opposites  in their ethos.  I want Pep to win it just because his style of play is the way I like to see football being played not the mourninho or even the Conte way. Spurs are good to watch as well. 

...and they were worse when Guardiola took over relative both how they played and what they achieved under Jupp Heynckes.

42 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

LOL, it's a brand of football that can only be effectively deployed if you have >£300m to spend on players, hardly a revolution at all, also it's not as though possession based high press football didn't exist before Guardiola. 

Exactly.  Pep is a 'great manager' when and only when he has the best players at his disposal.  That is not a great manager.  He has never done anything that remotely resembles getting a bunch of ordinary players to exceed their own ability (José '04 for those who would respond).  In fact he has done the opposite.  He has, at times, been in charge of extremely good players who have under-performed.  His blueprint for success can only work at a very select amount of clubs around Europe.  Luckily for him he is on a whistlestop tour of those clubs.

His next appointment after City will be interesting for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

PSG I reckon.

If I had to guess, Pochettino with his links to them and his explicit desire to manage them, will be their next appointment.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

Exactly.  Pep is a 'great manager' when and only when he has the best players at his disposal.  That is not a great manager. 

Yes it is.

It's a different kind of great manager to someone who gets players playing above themselves. But it's exactly the kind of "great" manager the elite clubs will be looking at.

They do have the best players in the world and they want a manager who can do great things with them.

Pep might not be able to take over an Aston Villa and get them winning the league, but he'll never need to.

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's a different kind of great manager to someone who gets players playing above themselves. But it's exactly the kind of "great" manager the elite clubs will be looking at.

Yeah I get you and I do agree to an extent.  It's just a whole lot harder to give kudos to someone who has absolutely everything at their disposal to succeed who then subsequently succeeds in the face of zero professional adversity.  It's also why any failures will rightly be mocked by fans, because that's the pedestal you put yourself on.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

Yeah I get you and I do agree to an extent.  It's just a whole lot harder to give kudos to someone who has absolutely everything at their disposal to succeed who then subsequently succeeds in the face of zero professional adversity.  It's also why any failures will rightly be mocked by fans, because that's the pedestal you put yourself on.

I get it.

But I'd also argue there's nothing really to show that Pep couldn't drag an average club and make them a great one. He's always used what's at his disposal and it's always been the best. He is lucky in that way.

We don't really know if he could do that job at a non-elite club.

I'd also suggest we'll never find out.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I get it.

But I'd also argue there's nothing really to show that Pep couldn't drag an average club and make them a great one. He's always used what's at his disposal and it's always been the best. He is lucky in that way.

We don't really know if he could do that job at a non-elite club.

I'd also suggest we'll never find out.

The one example we have where he didn't have the best, was last season's City.  Now you would argue he spent that season changing their style and it could be argued that he also didn't have the best and didn't do the best.

He probably never will have to prove he can't do it at a lower level.  Which goes back to him being an extremely niche manager.  Give me the best and I will (probably) be the best.  Otherwise I won't be.

His mental breakdowns last season in post match interviews where he questioned whether he was good enough to continue gave a very interesting glimpse into the spoiled-child mindset of someone who, I would wager, would not hang around too long in a less than ideal scenario, and who would therefore not be able to do it at a non-elite level, cuz he'd have lost his marbles in the meantime.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BOF said:

Exactly.  Pep is a 'great manager' when and only when he has the best players at his disposal.  That is not a great manager.  He has never done anything that remotely resembles getting a bunch of ordinary players to exceed their own ability (José '04 for those who would respond).  In fact he has done the opposite.  He has, at times, been in charge of extremely good players who have under-performed.  His blueprint for success can only work at a very select amount of clubs around Europe.  Luckily for him he is on a whistlestop tour of those clubs.

His next appointment after City will be interesting for me.

Spain manager or back to Barca I reckon. Would be interesting if he went there as Messi was bowing out.

Think he's also said he'd like to manage Girona so that would be the example of how much he could get out of lesser players.

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

He would have bought Neymar and Messi and if he could buy who he wants. All the top teams in Europe spend big money. If he wins the champions league with City its wrong top say ne bought it. 

He spent 140 million on 3 full backs and a goalkeeper in summer. No team in the world has spent that on there defence and if did not in the same transfer window

Chequebook manager

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

He would have bought Neymar and Messi and if he could buy who he wants. All the top teams in Europe spend big money. If he wins the champions league with City its wrong top say ne bought it. 

He has spent £400m so far in a little over 12 months, I’m not sure many clubs or managers are spending at that rate.

Â