Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He should just turn down the money and use what he already has.

i think after his 1st season that ship had sailed, has to do something this year

his long term success at city will almost undoubtedly be the number of "home grown" players they have come through, including once he's gone

as for the money...how much spending and outspending have city done in the last 10 years? i still maintain their trophy haul is still pretty poor, if he does start winning 2/3 trophies every year with city then it is a massive success 

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It would show if he really was this great coaching guru 

Like I said yesterday, he'll never need to.

Calling him a "chequebook manager" is all well and good. But plenty of managers spend shit loads of money and don't bring success.

If Pep spends the money City give him, and he wins trophies with it, then he's exactly the kind of manager they needed.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Like I said yesterday, he'll never need to.

Calling him a "chequebook manager" is all well and good. But plenty of managers spend shit loads of money and don't bring success.

If Pep spends the money City give him, and he wins trophies with it, then he's exactly the kind of manager they needed.

He hasn’t yet at City and it’s debatable if he did at Munich really, continued it but didn’t bring success. But I agree with your point but that doesn’t make him a ‘great manager’ which is what people dispute.

I think we agree that he's a horse for a very specific and a very elite course.  Which is perfectly fine btw.  The subjective 'great' tag is down to the individual's own definition and checklist of what qualifies for that.  Undoubtedly Pep will achieve things with City that other lesser managers would never achieve no matter how much they had.  But then no-one is calling Sam Allardyce a 'great' manager because he can polish the odd turd.

Is Pep the best manager in the world?  Not a chance.  He's not even the best manager in Manchester.  Is he top tier?  I think his trophy cabinet probably attests to that, even though I give him a massive asterisk.  Is he what _I_ would regard as great (FWTW)?  I honestly don't know.  I need more time to see his career pan out.

More hissy fits though please Pep.  I enjoy those.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think there's a lot of managers who can do what Pep is doing. Some would still manage to cock it up.

True but shit managers in past have showed they are good when backed. David O'Leary an example

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

True but shit managers in past have showed they are good when backed. David O'Leary an example

That's my point tbh, a crap manager + money can get results. It doesn't mean Pep is a crap manager, not at all, but he's doing what lots of other people could do (imo).

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I think Mourinho is a better manager

Pep's teams are far better to watch though. 

As Brian Clough once said I want to win but win it better. No doubt Pep could do what Jose does and win more trophies but Pep wants to do by playing attractive football. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

As Brian Clough once said I want to win but win it better. No doubt Pep could do what Jose does and win more trophies but Pep wants to do by playing attractive football. 

I highly doubt Pep could set a team up to defend

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

There's a big difference between "good" and Pep's achievements so far.

I think Liverpool would be a good move for Pep (won't happen). They're plodding about just outside of the big time. A decent squad but not incredible. Klopp really hasn't done much to enhance his reputation after taking over from Rogers. It would be very interesting if PG could take over at Liverpool, find and sign a few players within a realistic transfer budget and make them title challengers.

He's still on cheat mode with the blank cheque he has. He may be able to do it without that, but we don't know it yet.

Why would he go there though?

They're not an elite club, and whether people like it or not Pep is an elite manager. Unless he totally **** it up at Man City (which he won't) his next move will be to another European giant.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why would he go there though?

They're not an elite club, and whether people like it or not Pep is an elite manager. Unless he totally **** it up at Man City (which he won't) his next move will be to another European giant.

Their history maybe but he wont get there. Klopp isn't finished yet anyway

On 04/10/2017 at 10:12, Stevo985 said:

He should just turn down the money and use what he already has.

No but he should be judged with it as a consideration.

Pep’s been very successful at Barca and Bayern, even if at the later he fell short of the man who went before him. So far at City he hasn’t been successful even if they are good to watch.

On 10/4/2017 at 22:16, PaulC said:

I think Jose is the better manager. No doubt in my mind that Pep would never achieve what Jose did with Porto and Inter.

54 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think Jose is the better manager. No doubt in my mind that Pep would never achieve what Jose did with Porto and Inter.

Does that make him better though.  He never won the champions league at a massive club like Real Madrid. His did win one la liga title but his final season there was poor. 

Â