Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like Sterling but don't think he did anything wrong, he didn't jump over the boards. He barely crossed the touch line, the fans had already got past the stewards and were coming towards the pitch.

Pretty sure Gestede celebrated in the same way there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think Shearer is completely and utterly wrong, staggeringly so in fact.

The actions of Sterling caused a surge of fans in which supporters including kids could have been seriously injured. It also directly caused the flash point with fans coming out of the stand and into confrontation with the stewards and Police. 

Sterling caused that and that is why he was booked and that is why it is against the rules.

It isn't a new rule, it isn't a ref being OTT it is a rule that is there for a reason and he paid the price for ignoring it.

Ive no sympathy whatsoever, none. In my view Shearer I just wrong on this one.

No sorry. Its the fact that Bournemouth is a league 1 ground that caused that.

Sterling didnt even leave the pitch.

• Like 2

If 37 away fans are arrested for pitch encroachment at Bournemouth across this season, and zero are at old Trafford or St James Park, then is that the fault of player over celebration at Bournemouth? No, its the design of the ground. Figure plucked from the air by the way. But Watford fans have already been on when they won there the other day.

It takes two to tango admitidly, you need prats to go on, of which we know they are numerous.

What im getting at is that if Sterling celebrated as he did at most grounds, he doesnt get sent off.

29 minutes ago, turvontour said:

If 37 away fans are arrested for pitch encroachment at Bournemouth across this season, and zero are at old Trafford or St James Park, then is that the fault of player over celebration at Bournemouth? No, its the design of the ground. Figure plucked from the air by the way. But Watford fans have already been on when they won there the other day.

It takes two to tango admitidly, you need prats to go on, of which we know they are numerous.

What im getting at is that if Sterling celebrated as he did at most grounds, he doesnt get sent off.

Arrest figures, real or otherwise are irrelevant.

Yes the fans at Bournemouth are close to the pitch and that causes a problem.

But your last point is wrong. If Sterling celebrated how he celebrated at other grounds he would be booked because it's a bookable offence, the only difference at other grounds would be the fans are a little further back from the pitch so it's perhaps less likely to happen.

Looking at the laws

Yellow card if

In the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative derisory or inflammatory

He climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

He removes his shirt over his head or covers his head with his shirt

Did he break any of those?

Edited by PaulC

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Looking at the laws

Yellow card if

In the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative derisory or inflammatory

He climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

He removes his shirt over his head or covers his head with his shirt

Did he break any of those?

You missed part of the rule though haven't you.

The rule reads as follows;

A player must be cautioned for:

• climbing on a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which can cause safety and/or security issues

I think it's fairly clear then that the booking was justified under the rules and the ref had to book him.

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You missed part of the rule though haven't you.

The rule reads as follows;

A player must be cautioned for:

• climbing on a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which can cause safety and/or security issues

I think it's fairly clear then that the booking was justified under the rules and the ref had to book him.

ok that bit wasn't there on the site I read it from :(

• Like 1

Just to confirm, getting booked like that isn't mandatory as Bowen when he scored for us v Hull on the opening day didn't get booked and that was exactly the same.

There's been countless celebrations like that at VP over last few years (way too many of course). Pretty sure Lampard didn't get booked either when Chelsea fans spilled onto the pitch after he broke the goalscoring record.

Â