Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

I was really hoping they wouldn't pull it back against Arsenal. Truly amazing how they are somehow second. United, City, Arsenal, Tottenham, and Liverpool all look pretty mediocre at times this season. 2-4th are up for grabs so those clubs have to start getting their acts together if they want champions league. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can see what Paul is saying....say Liverpool win at Sunderland as you expect and then Chelsea only draw at Spurs which could easily happen then it's down to 4 points.

Then Liverpool win at home to Chelsea it's down to 1.

Still a way to go.....no chance Chelsea will get over 100 points. The great Mourinho sides didn't manage it so can't imagine this one doing it as well drilled as they are.

As for Man. City....personally think they were more entertaining to watch under Pellegrini and Mancini.

Borediola strikes again. with their budget they should be strolling the league especially since they have the great managerial guru in charge that will revolutionise English football according to some journalists

Pellegrini was a lot better option for City

I know they have spent a lot of money but maybe Pep needs a season to get the team playing the way he want to and the results to reflect it. Afterall some on here were saying Klopp had not improved Liverpool last season but we can now see the improvement this season and its reflected in the results they are getting. With Conte, he inherited a title winning side, they were just shockingly poor last season. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

They will need Gabriel Jesus to hit form quickly when he joins, their bench was pathetic enough today (Iheanacho aside) considering the money they have spent in the summer and over the years. Jesus Navas is worse than Adama Traore.

There's obviously something managers see in Navas that mere mortals can't. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's obviously something managers see in Navas that mere mortals can't. 

It is approaching 4 years since he scored a league goal and he has generally played more than 30 league games a season in that time. He can provide width and balance to the team (Pellegrini's 4-4-2) and he still has some pace remaining but he is nowhere near the player he was at Sevilla though.

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It is approaching 4 years since he scored a league goal and he has generally played more than 30 league games a season in that time. He can provide width and balance to the team (Pellegrini's 4-4-2) and he still has some pace remaining but he is nowhere near the player he was at Sevilla though.

Yes, I completely agree, he appears to be a serial underachiever. I'd have kept Nasri instead, personally. 

29 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I wonder how Nasri will get on with the doping thing and whether City had any prior knowledge of it. He is still their player.

Don't think City would have had a clue, I think he went to LA on holiday and then went to this clinic, which seems ludicrous as hell because they announced the treatment they'd given him on their twitter feed. It just seems like utter stupidity from all involved. 

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

I know they have spent a lot of money but maybe Pep needs a season to get the team playing the way he want to and the results to reflect it. Afterall some on here were saying Klopp had not improved Liverpool last season but we can now see the improvement this season and its reflected in the results they are getting. With Conte, he inherited a title winning side, they were just shockingly poor last season. 

Thing is you can tell last season with Klopp what he is trying to do. The pressing etc was all introduced last season and they got some big results. Under Guardiola City can potentially go through 70 minutes without a shot on target. For me I expected a lot more.

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

I don't think anyone was saying Klopp hadn't improved Liverpool last season or if they were nobody was talking them seriously as it was plainly not true.

Right now there is no improvement in City, if anything they've gone backwards, it remains to be seen if they will improve.

Personally I think your comparison above is flawed. The improvement in Liverpool was visible last season and they've continued to improve yet further this season, so Klopp didn't need a season.

As for what Conte inherited compared to Pep, both sides one the league 12 months apart. One then spent over £150m so I think it's somewhat unfair suggest Conte got the better hand.

What Conte has shown is tactical flexibility to find a way of playing that gets the best out of the resources he has, he has then drilled them to within an inch of their lives. He has also sorted out Costa, rejuvenated a number of players and performed a minor miracle with Moses.

Which players has Pep improved? Which signings that he has made have offered much? 

He still retains his idealistic and arrogant approach compared to Conte's flexibility and adaptability. 

Right now Klopp and Conte look the better managers and personally I think their achievements are far more impressive in their careers to date.

Â