Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Yet they still managed to finish 3rd in he league, have a team that consisted of Ronaldinho, deco, zambrotta, Edmilson, thuram, dos santos etc all big names, big personalities that were no good for the dressing room, pep sold them all, bought in pique, busquets and alves

they went from winning nothing, finishing 3rd in the league in 07/08 to winning the treble in 08/09

but it was nothing to do with pep apparently 

so the players pep got rid of players that weren't key players (which wasn't what I said, I said they were big personalities in the dressing room) the players who were the actual key players were already there (which isn't true because he promoted busquets, bought in alves and pique) and a side that won nothing went on to win everything a year later

but that was nothing to do with the manager?

it must all have been a case of rijkaard being really shit then

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

so the players pep got rid of players that weren't key players (which wasn't what I said, I said they were big personalities in the dressing room) the players who were the actual key players were already there (which isn't true because he promoted busquets, bought in alves and pique) and a side that won nothing went on to win everything a year later

but that was nothing to do with the manager?

it must all have been a case of rijkaard being really shit then

I don't really understand your logic. You're saying the likes of Edmilson, Dos Santos, etc weren't key players. They were part of a team that didn't do very well. These players were replaced with the likes of Busquets, Dani Alves, Henry, etc. Then you had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta coming in to their own. But it's down to the coach? Is it not at all possible that the squad he had was simply just better than the previous squad? It seems pretty obvious that replacing some pretty average players from a squad that finished 3rd with a bunch of top players would be a valid reason as to the improvement to a squad. 

And yes, Rijkaard isn't a particularly good manager. Luis Enrique isn't a very good manager and won everything with Barca. Tito isn't a very good manager and won 100 points in La Liga. Are these also both genius, or could it be possible that they all had the same core squad? I know some people make the argument that it's Pep's influence. But then why is he not being blamed for taking Bayern backwards and then leaving them in a bit of a mess? 

Edited by kurtsimonw

I didn't get your logic, in 07/08 they had messi, iniesta, puyol, Xavi but they finished 3rd and weren't a particularly good team, in 08/09 they had the same players and won everything...because of what pep changed at the club

And I don't know why you keep focusing on Edmilson and dos santos, he got rid of Ronaldinho and deco, absolutely key players at the club

Edited by villa4europe

ronaldinho and deco had made 25 appearances each the season before they were let go and both werent fit for most of 2007/08. forward line was mainly Henry, Etoo and one of Messi( who was injury prone at this point), Bojan, Dos Santos or Gudjohnsen

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I didn't get your logic, in 07/08 they had messi, iniesta, puyol, Xavi but they finished 3rd and weren't a particularly good team, in 08/09 they had the same players and won everything...because of what pep changed at the club

And I don't know why you keep focusing on Edmilson and dos santos, he got rid of Ronaldinho and deco, absolutely key players at the club

There are 3420 possible minutes a player can play in a La Liga season. 

Here's how often these "absolutely key players" played the season before Pep took over. 
Ronaldinho: 1174 minutes
Deco: 1226 minutes 
Messi: 2003 minutes
Eto'o: 1502 minutes 

Do you not think it's possible that these players missing so many games through injuries is a major reason in their poor performance? I personally don't think Rijkaard is a good manager. I think Guardiola is better than him, I don't dispute that. I also don't dispute that Guardiola's style fit Barca better than Rijkaards.

Nobody is saying Guardiola had no input, every manager does. But taking a very good Barca side and all dominant Bayern side and winning things is not 'genius'. There's far more genius' in the achievements of the likes of Rafa at Valencia, Mourinho at Porto, Fergie at Aberdeen/United and to an extent Conte at Juve when you consider where they were when he took over. 

• Like 2

Â