Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

I think the key to how this plays out will be if anyone in the press has the balls to actually call out the Sheikhs - if their reputation is threatened, I think they could simply pull out and go and do something else - it'll be interesting to see if fans do that, as there's a line where City might be able to claim racism (and might end up being right).

Looking at the emails and the testimony of the Chief Exec, it's hard to see him surviving and there's got to be some sort of possibility that he might find himself subject to legal action outside of this sporting action - he lied to CAS under oath and if the emails can be submitted in a court of law, he must be open to some sort of process.

City's corporate sponsors will also be interesting to watch - if there's enough noise dragging City's name through the mud and associating say, Sony, with cheating, then sponsors are going to be looking for an exit (or at least an oily handout). Noise can threaten those relationships that aren't generated through Abu Dhabi based companies.

So yeah, basically we need the Villa away end to set a precedent on fan pressure that can make a real difference to how this plays out. You got this right?

• Like 2

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, lots and lots and lots of posters over the previous 15 pages have asserted that nothing at all will be done. Ironically the next poster also did so:

I mean there's every chance that they won't be found guilty. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would think no punishment will be given if they are found guilty. But I could be wrong. 

Edited by PieFacE

Khaldoon should pull the racism card out and see how they handle it, say there has been a witch hunt of Arab owners from the start uefa and a premier league, if there isn’t why aren’t they investigating the American owners etc. Let’s see them squirm at that. Chelsea drop £500 million and no one bats an eyelid this comes after their Russian owner was banned, i dont see anyone up in arms about that, is it because they are white. City should go on the attack now stop puss footing about trying to be nice and not offend anyone, they don’t want us well **** em let’s rip them a new one

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/city-charged-with-multiple-financial-breaches-by-pl-club-statement-pg108.358514/page-401

Just an embarassing, embarassing fanbase.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think anyone is debating that they won't be punished if found guilty. I think we all know they will be, there's no other way around that.

The question is the extent of the punishment. I really fail to see the Premier League dishing a punishment out that's more extensive than a hefty fine and maybe a (largely irrelevant) points deduction. I'm obviously completely speculating and not clued up on this type of thing at all. 

A fine, even a massive one is nothing to Man City. The only thing that'll work is expulsion. 

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the key to how this plays out will be if anyone in the press has the balls to actually call out the Sheikhs - if their reputation is threatened, I think they could simply pull out and go and do something else - it'll be interesting to see if fans do that, as there's a line where City might be able to claim racism (and might end up being right).

Looking at the emails and the testimony of the Chief Exec, it's hard to see him surviving and there's got to be some sort of possibility that he might find himself subject to legal action outside of this sporting action - he lied to CAS under oath and if the emails can be submitted in a court of law, he must be open to some sort of process.

City's corporate sponsors will also be interesting to watch - if there's enough noise dragging City's name through the mud and associating say, Sony, with cheating, then sponsors are going to be looking for an exit (or at least an oily handout). Noise can threaten those relationships that aren't generated through Abu Dhabi based companies.

So yeah, basically we need the Villa away end to set a precedent on fan pressure that can make a real difference to how this plays out. You got this right?

I'm sure they will mute the mics from the away end on Sunday, it's on Sky. It'll be like the Villa fans aren't there.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A lot of posts in the thread giving reasons why nothing will happen. 

Just for the sake of argument, and playing devil's advocate rather, it might be worth considering some reasons why something more than nothing might happen:

• If the PL wanted to bury this story, they could have done. They didn't have to charge City, they could have just arranged a fine behind closed doors. But they didn't. Related to that:
  • They have to have considered that they couldn't publicly charge City with breaking more than 100 rules violations over more than 14 years and then expect that they could just give up or fold it all neatly back into the box and forget about it. Further to that:
  • The league is an institution that needs to look after its own credibility, and the credibility of its rules, at least as much as it looks after any of its members. And we have to assume that if they can charge a club with all these breaches over this long of a time and then fail to make anything at all stick, then the rules City have broken would have to be considered dead. 
  • The charges are actually serious. Match fixing is considered a serious offence (rightly), but if I arrange a bent referee to get our next match then I'm scamming a maximum of three points for my efforts. City's financial doping stretches over around 500 league games, probably another 50-100 domestic cup games. Cumulatively this is a *lot* of impact from this cheating. 
  • Other clubs in other leagues have faced serious punishments, at times, for serious violations. It's not impossible for the PL to come down hard if they want to, and if they play their legal cards right.

So there we go. I'm not saying they will end up with a massive punishment; the league may lose the legal battle or they may bottle it. But if you're looking for reasons why a serious punishment *could* occur they do exist. 

You’re of course right in everything you say there, but you’re forgetting one big point here.

When Derby or SHA get points deduction, those rules only apply to the poor teams. No body gave two shits.

What is happening at city more than likely has been happening at the other juggernauts.  It is in their best interests that any punishment is minimal, because if they ever found themselves in the same boat, they’d want the same minimised slap on the wrist.

The real power here is with the other 19 premier league clubs.  The outcome will depend on how much muscle they throw in behind the Premier League/FA in gunning down city.  

Any lack of support basically will tell you they’re pretty much guilty of the same stuff.  Without their support, the Premier League are about to get their asses handed back to them on a plate.

One thing that the PL will have in the back of their mind will be this Superleague stuff.

First Juventus, now Man City. We all know about Barca, and now Chelsea are going to be under every microscope.  You go in hard, and you’re soon going to have a situation where you have these giant clubs being thrown out of their respective leagues…

with nothing to do… except…

Play against each other.

• Like 2

One thing to note - if City have broken these regulations in 115 ways, the chances are that most clubs in this league with any sort of ambition have broken a fair few of them too.

When City are punished, those punishments might also hit clubs across the league - there's a real chance that we might see a proper oversight with big changes across the Premier League. 

• Like 2

The club not cooperating with investigation into the past 5 seasons is a bit concerning to be honest.

The only logical reason to cooperate with investigations into 2008-2017 (the period covered by the hack) and not cooperate over 2018-2023 is that the punishment and reputational damage for obstructing the investigation is better than what would be revealed if you did fully cooperate.

Above from a City fan, interesting comment 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

I think they will get a hefty points fine and banned from transfers for 2-4 windows . 

And then that will get overturned on appeal.

And their points deduction will be done at the end of this year, when they’ve already not won the title, and the points deduction will be calculated in such a way that they will still qualify for the champions league by goal difference above Brighton.

Dont underestimate the power of lots and lots of money.

They've built success on cheating in a shocking manner, when you consider the levels gone to conceal some of this stuff. 

And their whole attitude has been we are so rich we can do what we want and bully and intimidate those who look to punish us. 

An absolute stain on Premier league history at this point. 

• Like 3

I wonder about the Haaland deal. At only £50m ish transfer fee half the football work should have been in for him, but City seemed to be in a 1 horse race. How did they make it so lucrative that nobody else even bothered?

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder about the Haaland deal. At only £50m ish transfer fee half the football work should have been in for him, but City seemed to be in a 1 horse race. How did they make it so lucrative that nobody else even bothered?

Release clause .It was between them and Real and City offered higher wages 400K a week apparently 

If this was the Serie A they'd be taken apart and relegated like they did with Inter, Fiorentina, Milan and Juve. Bar them from taking a champion's league spot and make them start with a -30 point score in the championship. Serie A took away Juve's titles, I think that if City is found guilty they also need to take the titles from all these years off of them.

Edited by magnkarl

Just now, Nabby said:

Release clause .It was between them and Real and City offered higher wages 400K a week apparently 

Its apparently nearer £1m a week with all the bonuses included.

Erling Haaland 'earns nearly £1million per week' as staggering financial details emerge

It is outlined how the Norwegian striker is set to earn a total of £45m in his first season at the Etihad, which breaks down into a staggering £865,000 per week. Despite Haaland's sensational return for City so far, which many will argue makes the outlay justifiable, the total costs involved are eye-watering.

Link

At £50m release clause there should have been a queue around the block for him, City blew the biggest, richest clubs in the world away financially. 

Â