Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the correct course of action would be to wipe them from the history of the game, ancient Egypt style, just delete every reference to them. All those associated with them should never own or operate a club again, and if the fans want a club they start a phoenix in non-league.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sne said:

He got to experience the moment and the weeks around it. Don't really think he'd be too bothered if they were erased in the history books. 

Suspect he probably doesn't know what a history book is and wouldn't read one if he did. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

A lot of posts in the thread giving reasons why nothing will happen. 

Just for the sake of argument, and playing devil's advocate rather, it might be worth considering some reasons why something more than nothing might happen:

• If the PL wanted to bury this story, they could have done. They didn't have to charge City, they could have just arranged a fine behind closed doors. But they didn't. Related to that:
  • They have to have considered that they couldn't publicly charge City with breaking more than 100 rules violations over more than 14 years and then expect that they could just give up or fold it all neatly back into the box and forget about it. Further to that:
  • The league is an institution that needs to look after its own credibility, and the credibility of its rules, at least as much as it looks after any of its members. And we have to assume that if they can charge a club with all these breaches over this long of a time and then fail to make anything at all stick, then the rules City have broken would have to be considered dead. 
  • The charges are actually serious. Match fixing is considered a serious offence (rightly), but if I arrange a bent referee to get our next match then I'm scamming a maximum of three points for my efforts. City's financial doping stretches over around 500 league games, probably another 50-100 domestic cup games. Cumulatively this is a *lot* of impact from this cheating. 
  • Other clubs in other leagues have faced serious punishments, at times, for serious violations. It's not impossible for the PL to come down hard if they want to, and if they play their legal cards right.

So there we go. I'm not saying they will end up with a massive punishment; the league may lose the legal battle or they may bottle it. But if you're looking for reasons why a serious punishment *could* occur they do exist. 

My problem here is that this is football.

We had an investigation into corruption regarding the voting around the world cup being held in Qatar. The outcome? Despite there being corruption, a couple of scape goats took a fall and the WC went there anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Their lawyers will win.

It will be a fine....

... and certain PL power brokers receiving a sudden unexpected windfall to keep a straight face in front of the media

A new and improved TV deal for Premier League tv rights from Abu Dhabi coming up

If,....if man ci$y were to win or the charges dropped, then I am done with football, the gates will open, a green light will go on and even more blatant dodgy stuff will happen...mainly by the top 6 .....

I think this could take a long time to resolve and a small portion of the bottomless pit of money is spent bringing in top greasy oily lawyers for the cheaters looking for a misplaced comma that will cause the case against to be thrown out....

Fingers crossed that for the good of the game they get the most severe punishment due. It is important to show other clubs that this is what can happen.....the deterrent has to be enough to stop this cheating and it's not just these cheaters, I am convinced that other teams have been trying the same "model" that the cheaters have been using .....

Take away titles and Liverpool and United share 3 year , the later 500 mil in debt the former of of the UK spread heads of the failed Super League Project  FFP would infact achieve its main goal keep the same clubs on top.

3 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

If,....if man ci$y were to win or the charges dropped, then I am done with football, the gates will open, a green light will go on and even more blatant dodgy stuff will happen...mainly by the top 6 .....

I think this could take a long time to resolve and a small portion of the bottomless pit of money is spent bringing in top greasy oily lawyers for the cheaters looking for a misplaced comma that will cause the case against to be thrown out....

Fingers crossed that for the good of the game they get the most severe punishment due. It is important to show other clubs that this is what can happen.....the deterrent has to be enough to stop this cheating and it's not just these cheaters, I am convinced that other teams have been trying the same "model" that the cheaters have been using .....

Does it include selling your ground to your owners to minimize loss's as we did ..

47 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

My problem is that over the last 13 years or so we’ve seen that if you have enough money and power you can pretty much have your way of everything. That’s not just a football problem, it’s a Tory britain problem.

This will take years in the courts with some very expensive Man City lawyers who’ll delay and look over every crossed t and dotted i to find some way of scamming their way out of this on a technicality and my confidence in the systems we have in this country are so low that I think they’ll find some way to get out it.

Sorry for being negative but I feel so beaten down by the staggering levels of greed, corruption and selfishness.

Not just a Tory Britain problem. Plenty of greed and corruption when Blair and Brown were running things and very unlikely to change under Starmer. It's a Labour council that recently let Sheikh Mansour buy up acres of public land in Manchester for seemingly a fraction of its worth.

It's a problem that can be solved, but we've never had politicians or legislators with the willingness and gumption to plan and effectively implement any kind of solution.

• Like 1

There are 2 things I think they need to accomplish,  punish Man City and compensate everyone else.

It is the Premier Leagues basic job to make the league a fair and level playing field for all teams. 

They knew this was not the case for over a decade,  they are as guilty as Man City.  Man City always had a horse shoe in their glove for every match, a material advantage and just basic cheating.

There position in the league is untenable and might be a cause of problems in and around grounds also. 

Man City are the Jimmy Saville of football,  happy to fool the world in plain site for decades on TV twice or 3 times a week and even though most people in the game knew something was up it went on for ages.  In this case they have been caught and are still alive as oppose to Saville.

Put them in the 3rd division,  50% of their gate goes to the away teams until they get back in the Prem so the compensation goes to the poorest teams first and that will be a lot of money for them.

25 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Not just a Tory Britain problem. Plenty of greed and corruption when Blair and Brown were running things and very unlikely to change under Starmer. It's a Labour council that recently let Sheikh Mansour buy up acres of public land in Manchester for seemingly a fraction of its worth.

It's a problem that can be solved, but we've never had politicians or legislators with the willingness and gumption to plan and effectively implement any kind of solution.

I think you’d be hard pressed to argue that standards of conduct in all manner of public life, including sport haven’t deteriorated significantly over the last 10 years or so. Things weren’t rosy before, we all remember when abramovich basically started all this in the early 2000s but it’s got much worse now we aren’t just talking about billionaire oligarchs, it’s state backed sovereign wealth funds, some of which are run by actual real life murderers but because they’ve got the money no one will dare challenge them.

• Like 2

Â