coda

Re the fifa 5 year rule in England there’s something known as employment law. No chance they can enforce it. And as has been explained in another thread FIFA rules say “unless the country has different laws “ or something like that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hornso said:

I hope we don't adopt this approach to contracts. We have enough trouble getting rid of our dead wood on 3-4 year contracts. Imagine trying to shift them on 8 year contracts!

Exactly. Chelsea dont realise this but if they can't flog this players of they flop they are going to hav emassive problems.

Not all players will be successes so you can imagine be alot of flops 

Sterling alone has been a flop and so has auba

11 hours ago, Hornso said:

I hope we don't adopt this approach to contracts. We have enough trouble getting rid of our dead wood on 3-4 year contracts. Imagine trying to shift them on 8 year contracts!

They'll be in massive trouble is 4/5 of these young players turn out to be duds on such long contracts.

All being well when they mass signed 16-18 year olds for 3/4 million on 20k a week, natural price inflation mean't they made a markup on most of them. They are now mass signing 22 year olds on 100k a week on 6/7 year contracts and amortising the cost over that time.

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

They'll be in massive trouble is 4/5 of these young players turn out to be duds on such long contracts.

All being well when they mass signed 16-18 year olds for 3/4 million on 20k a week, natural price inflation mean't they made a markup on most of them. They are now mass signing 22 year olds on 100k a week on 6/7 year contracts and amortising the cost over that time.

They won't be in any trouble at all. It's Chelsea. They will be absolutely fine no matter what they do. They play a totally different game to most of the rest of us and can do pretty much what they want.

So UEFA are going to ban them from buying players and putting them on 8 year contracts to avoid FFP, it's going to be 5 years max. The FA have also agreed it was a loophole they are using, but will close it down in March, just enough time for them to buy more players, line the FA and Premier League coffers and yet again leave the rest behind Man City Style.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

So UEFA are going to ban them from buying players and putting them on 8 year contracts to avoid FFP, it's going to be 5 years max. The FA have also agreed it was a loophole they are using, but will close it down in March, just enough time for them to buy more players, line the FA and Premier League coffers and yet again leave the rest behind Man City Style.

Is this true? 

Surely that has to be a mistake? After all, I was rudely told 'I think you'll find there's something called employment law mate' On Here the other day as a reason why that could never happen, as if I was a single-celled amoeba incapable of sentient thought or something. 

• Haha 1

Despite what the FA are saying, I don't see how they can legally enforce a maximum contract length? Do any other industries do that in the UK?

I don't see them winning that battle in the UK, even if UEFA change the wording of the current rule. Guess UEFA could block them from entering European competitions which would probably have the same effect as making it illegal here.

What they should really be doing is sacking off FFP and then clubs wouldn't have to find their way around it with dubious loopholes that ultimately make a club more susceptible to going bankrupt...the very thing FFP was brought in to prevent. As for the acronym, there is nothing fair about the system that was established at an arbitrary point in history, effectively rubber stamping the elite as the elite.

The problem with getting rid of it now is that Man City and Newcastle are now state owned and have more money available to them than most of the countries in the world, and releasing the farcical FFP chains would free them up to blow everyone else out the water. 

The system is fcked. Chelsea just a symptom of it. 

Edited by MrBlack
Typo
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Despite what the FA are saying, I don't see how they can legally enforce a maximum contract length? Do any other industries do that in the UK?

I don't see them winning that battle in the UK, even if UEFA change the wording of the current rule. Guess UEFA could block them from entering European competitions which would probably have the same effect as making it illegal here.

What they should really be doing is sacking off FFP and then clubs wouldn't have to find their way around it with dubious loopholes that ultimately make a club more susceptible to going bankrupt...the very thing FFP was brought in to prevent. As for the acronym, there is nothing fair about the system that was established at an arbitrary point in history, effectively rubber stamping the elite as the elite.

The problem with getting rid of it now is that Man City and Newcastle are now state owned and have more money available to them than most of the countries in the world, and releasing the farcical FFP chains would free them up to blow everyone else out the water. 

I don’t think they are limiting the contract length, they are just saying that for FFP reasons the value of a transfer will be split over a maximum of 5yrs. 

So you can buy a £100m player and give him a 10yr contract if you want, but the book value is going to show £20m per year for 5yrs. 

Just now, av1 said:

I don’t think they are limiting the contract length, they are just saying that for FFP reasons the value of a transfer will be split over a maximum of 5yrs. 

So you can buy a £100m player and give him a 10yr contract if you want, but the book value is going to show £20m per year for 5yrs. 

That makes much more sense. Thanks. Still a plaster over a fundamentally flawed system, and yet another thing we won't be able to take advantage of to try and catch up. 

11 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Scrap FFP. Do you want city and newcastle spending 800m each window?

That would be final nail in coffin

Â