coda

If that was an accident you'd pull your foot back when you kicked him. He's properly followed through, and he's lifted his standing leg so his weight goes on the front foot.

Horrible challenge.

Watching in slow motion you also see that his eyes are firmly focused on Matic's leg until the ball moves away, disgusting challenge and I can't believe no action is being taken by the FA, pathetic.

As much as I don't particularly like Chelsea, I think Mourinho has a right to be pissed off.

It's his standing leg for me. If he was just kicking the ball that standing leg wouldn't move. Because you have to stand on it.

As soon as he sees Matic's leg coming, that standing leg come up and the weight shifts to his front foot.

His foot was well off the ground though with the studs showing so i think its irrelovent whether he could pull out of the tackle or not. It just looked a very deliberate act to me. 

But he was kicking the ball, mate? Barnes' calf shoots in right when Barnes is kicking. Dead horse, I know, but ...

I think you are defending the indefensible. 

If that was an accident you'd pull your foot back when you kicked him. He's properly followed through, and he's lifted his standing leg so his weight goes on the front foot.

Horrible challenge.

How? Both feet were off the ground. We're talking about less than a second. Barnes was clearly watching the ball, too, and Matic comes in from the side. And most of all, Matic made the challenge, not Barnes.

Kicking the ball?

Um, yeah? Or is he pushing along the ball with his elbow? You cherry-picked an image from the video that's 1 second after Barnesy kicks the ball. So ... yeah ... that part of a kick doesn't look like a kick, sort of like when I mow the grass in the garden, it doesn't look like I'm planting grass seed.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Horrible challenge.

How? Both feet were off the ground. We're talking about less than a second. Barnes was clearly watching the ball, too, and Matic comes in from the side. And most of all, Matic made the challenge, not Barnes.

Kicking the ball?

Um, yeah? Or is he pushing along the ball with his elbow?

He isn't attempting to kick the ball, look at the positioning of his foot and look at the ball. "Matic made the challenge" ??? I think you may be thinking of a different incident mate.

It's his standing leg for me. If he was just kicking the ball that standing leg wouldn't move. Because you have to stand on it.

As soon as he sees Matic's leg coming, that standing leg come up and the weight shifts to his front foot.

Sorry, I just see it differently. I think he would have had to have been super human to snatch his front leg (the one he had just kicked the ball with) back. There was a lot of force in his kick and he was looking at the ball. But I give up! 

Horrible challenge.

Kicking the ball?

Um, yeah? Or is he pushing along the ball with his elbow?

He isn't attempting to kick the ball, look at the positioning of his foot and look at the ball. "Matic made the challenge" ??? I think you may be thinking of a different incident mate.

I'm not. We just see it differently. I'm baffled how it can look so different but obviously this incident has divided opinion. I'm just glad we haven't over-analyzed this at all.

By saying "Matic made the challenge" it is almost as if you're blaming Matic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e852UDSWgTk

Look at the reverse angle, his foot is so much higher than it needs to be. Barnes reaction shows it all IMO, walks off without an apology and it wasn't the first one of the game for him either. Nasty bugger.

Edited by samjp26

Horrible challenge.

His standing leg wasn't off the ground until he was following through onto Matics leg.

Think about it. If he was just kicking the ball like that would his standing leg come off the ground like that?

It doesn't matter if matic made the challenge. He may have made contact inevitable, but that's no excuse for stamping on his leg.

My mind hasn't budged even a bit, and I can see why the FA made the decision. Every time I watch and re-watch and re-watch the video, I can see no one being at fault. At worst, it looks like both players go after the ball at the same time, but it's also just very bad luck. Barnes seems to have little situational awareness. Matic jabs his leg in there, and -- voila -- a grotesque and potentially career-ending injury is just barely avoided.

You guys are acting as if these players' minds are working with the world of slow-motion action. All this happens in blinding flash. There was no time for corrections. I do wish Barnes had gone over immediately and shown humane concern. He arguably deserved the push just for that, I grant you. I don't blame Matic. Unfortunate situation, no winners -- except for Mourinho and the press.

• Like 1

I agree that there are no winners, but I also think that Barnes is a nasty piece of work. 

Also don't think Mourinho wins, the more he and the press go against each other, the more likely it is that he doesn't get help from the referees. 

The FA made the decision because the rules are that if the referee has seen it and not punished it then they can't act.

They can only retrospectively punish what the ref has missed.

So the FA not punishing it bears no relevance to whether it was deliberate or not.

Whilst he does make some good points, I'm not having his explanation of the Matic tackle, his leg does a little more than 'hit him on the shin'. Yes his leg is following through from a pass, but he leaves his foot in and pushes down, you can see Matic's foot buckle as he does it. It's nasty and should have been a red.

It's pretty easy to watch in slow motion and say that he knew exactly what he was doing. The slow motion looks bad but at full speed, he plays the ball and his studs get caught in Matic's leg. It's by no means an unusual follow through height and Matic has come in from the side.

• Like 1

Cannot see how people here are claiming it wasnt deliberate, his left his foot in looked right and Matics leg. If it was an accident why did he just get up and walk off like vile person instead of apologizing.

Should be banned for 3 games but Matics ban should also stand if we are going by the rules, common sense says to lift the ban.

Where is this alternative universe where time slows down and players can convene a committee meeting to contemplate and discuss the various positioning possibilities of their feet and legs, all during the heat of Premier League play?

The Matrix? Kung Fu Panda?

• Like 1

Where is this alternative universe where time slows down and players can convene a committee meeting to contemplate and discuss the various positioning possibilities of their feet and legs, all during the heat of Premier League play?

The Matrix? Kung Fu Panda?

And why not get up and apologize if it was by accident? The reaction of the players says it was deliberate

It was a bad challenge but Mourinho is talking about it like it was Roy Keane on Alfie Haaland.  That's not true at all.  Should have been a red, absolutely, but I'll bet you a pound to a penny the whole story would be much smaller if Chelsea had won and Mourinho didn't have to create an issue to gloss over the fact that they weren't good enough to beat Burnley at home.  

Â