"Club 12" from Glasgow

Richard

If they vote to let Rangers, sorry The Rangers, into the SPL as a brand new club then surely that makes a complete farce of the entire Scottish league structure.

"Hi I've just started a brand new company, bought a football stadium, some players, and have a vaguely similarly name as a defunct team and wear the same colours. Can I just skip the whole league thing and start at the top?"

No, no you bloody can't.

But they will, because financially the League needs the SPL TV deal to survive, and no Old Firm Derby means no TV deal.

The New Rangers WILL be playing in the SPL next season, because turkeys don't generally vote for Christmas.

** Just googled the above, the New SPL deal was signed last year until 2016/17 - for £80m.

I fear that they may be get out clauses here because one of the requirements was that there would be 4 OF derbys per year.

I know very little about the SPL but will it not lose money without Rangers? I would have thought it'd be in the leagues interest to put aside their dislike and keep Rangers there. Having said that, I can understand the other clubs are unhappy about Rangers' financial operations over the last few years.

Fans of the other clubs have made it very clear they will vote with their feet if 'The Rangers' are ushered back in with a slapped wrist. If that happened the SPL would have about as much sporting integrity as WWE wrestling.

Reports up here are that some SPL clubs have only sold a few hundred seasons tickets, as fans wait to see the outcome of the Zombie vote before they decide whether to renew or not.

SPL chairman do have a dilemma - no visits from 'The Rangers' and the resulting financial loss - or voting in the Zombies and driving their own fans away from their clubs, fans they can ill-afford to lose.

Sky's assurance today that their SPL contract will remain should provide them with some assurance.

I just hope they have the backbone to do the right thing. If they don't Scottish football really is dead.

There are no guarantees that the players will join "The Rangers".

I'm not entirely sure how it would be applicable to a football contract, but under the Transfer of Undertakings (protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE) an employee can object to joining a new-co.

TUPE Regulation 4

1 Except where objection is made under paragraph (7), a relevant transfer shall not operate so as to terminate the contract of employment of any person employed by the transferor and assigned to the organised grouping of resources or employees that is subject to the relevant transfer, which would otherwise be terminated by the transfer, but any such contract shall have effect after the transfer as if originally made between the person so employed and the transferee.

7 Paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not operate to transfer the contract of employment and the rights, powers, duties and liabilities under or in connection with it of an employee who informs the transferor or the transferee that he objects to becoming employed by the transferee.

8 Subject to paragraphs (9) and (11), where an employee so objects, the relevant transfer shall operate so as to terminate his contract of employment with the transferor but he shall not be treated, for any purpose, as having been dismissed by the transferor.

In effect they could all become free agents and join other clubs.

I hope the SPL clubs do vote no. However, would they just run with an 11 team league next season and have one extra promotion spot available?

I'm sorry but BOTH Rangers and Celtic are Scottish and should play in a League (frankly I couldn't care less which one) overseen by the SCOTTISH FA.

I am also of the opinion that Cardiff and Swansea should be playing in the Welsh Leagues under the Welsh FA FWIW.

Ah, but that could lead to a tit-for-tat escalation, and Berwick Rangers being kicked out of the Scottish 3rd Division. And we wouldn't want that... :)

Ah but which side of the river is the ground?

I hope the SPL clubs do vote no. However, would they just run with an 11 team league next season and have one extra promotion spot available?

Either Dundee (Div 1 runners-up) or Dunfermline (relegated) will take the 12th spot.

Most agree up here that it'll be Dundee that are invited to take the spot.

Either Dundee (Div 1 runners-up) or Dunfermline (relegated) will take the 12th spot.

Most agree up here that it'll be Dundee that are invited to take the spot.

Hmmm sounds like you might not be the most neutral of reporters on this matter dundeevilla. Now I don't know what to believe.

If they are ejected from the SPL perhaps they wll apply to the FA, they might as well spend the next few years working their way up to the Premier League as the SPL. In many ways this would be the perfect opportunity for them to move down south.

There are no guarantees that the players will join "The Rangers".

I'm not entirely sure how it would be applicable to a football contract, but under the Transfer of Undertakings (protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE) an employee can object to joining a new-co.

TUPE Regulation 4

1 Except where objection is made under paragraph (7), a relevant transfer shall not operate so as to terminate the contract of employment of any person employed by the transferor and assigned to the organised grouping of resources or employees that is subject to the relevant transfer, which would otherwise be terminated by the transfer, but any such contract shall have effect after the transfer as if originally made between the person so employed and the transferee.

7 Paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not operate to transfer the contract of employment and the rights, powers, duties and liabilities under or in connection with it of an employee who informs the transferor or the transferee that he objects to becoming employed by the transferee.

8 Subject to paragraphs (9) and (11), where an employee so objects, the relevant transfer shall operate so as to terminate his contract of employment with the transferor but he shall not be treated, for any purpose, as having been dismissed by the transferor.

In effect they could all become free agents and join other clubs.

What happens to the player registrations though? Are they transferred as intangible assets to the newco?

I really hope they are ejected from the league. It would set a dangerous precident and I worry that clubs down here will follow their example if they are not punished, much in the same way that clubs used administration to 'cheat' their way out of a financial jam (before the points penalties were introduced).

I'm sorry but BOTH Rangers and Celtic are Scottish and should play in a League (frankly I couldn't care less which one) overseen by the SCOTTISH FA.

I am also of the opinion that Cardiff and Swansea should be playing in the Welsh Leagues under the Welsh FA FWIW.

Ah, but that could lead to a tit-for-tat escalation, and Berwick Rangers being kicked out of the Scottish 3rd Division. And we wouldn't want that... :)

South. Not that it makes any difference, as the Tweed isn't the border - that's about two miles north of the town.

Coincidentally, I will be up there this weekend.

South. Not that it makes any difference, as the Tweed isn't the border - that's about two miles north of the town.

Coincidentally, I will be up there this weekend.

Well then I welcome Berwick to the Conference North. :)

What happens to the player registrations though? Are they transferred as intangible assets to the newco?

As far as I am aware, if the players objected to the transfer to a new-co their registrations would revert back to the SFA.

The orginal CVA proposal states;

3. Under the Liquidation scenario, the club ceases to trade and therefore the player contracts terminate and registrations revert to the SFA and therefore may have no value.

So I'm assuming this would still apply.

I think they should be allowed back in only on the condition that they play in pink frilly panties and have the official club name "The Poofs".

I think they should be allowed back in only on the condition that they play in pink frilly panties and have the official club name "The Poofs".

:clap: :clap: :clap:

God I hope the SPL clubs show some balls and boot 'The Rangers' back down to the sunday league, however I'm sure they won't as money will once again win out as it always does in football.

Rangers: Walter Smith group drops bid for club

The consortium led by former manager Walter Smith has withdrawn its offer to take over the 'newco' Rangers.

Smith announced a last-minute bid, shortly before Charles Green completed his purchase of the Ibrox club's assets in a deal worth £5.5m.

But the group are stepping back after talks with Green.

"We very much hope the verbal assurances they provided to us - and the public statements made - are adhered to," said Smith.

Green was quick to invite Smith and his backers on board, offering to take the 64-year-old on as chairman of the football club.

However, Smith and his associates have declined to combine forces with Green's consortium.

Continue reading the main story

“The current business plan is not in accord with our understanding of the present circumstances of the club and the way forward

Walter Smith

"I would like to clarify the background to the offer of £6m for the assets of the club which I announced on Thursday," read a statement from Smith.

"The offer was made to the administrators before the Charles Green consortium had concluded their transaction to acquire the assets.

"We felt it necessary to have a fall-back position to secure the club's future. We have since made the same offer of £6m to the Green consortium through Zeus Capital.

"Our offer has been rejected and they have made a counter-offer inviting us to join their consortium.

"However, the current business plan is not in accord with our understanding of the present circumstances of the club and the way forward, but we would prefer to leave them to proceed in their own way and we wish them good luck in their endeavours.

"Members of our consortium had met with Charles Green and Zeus Capital prior to the CVA (company voluntary agreement) meeting and it had been agreed that we would be provided with significant information which would give us comfort as to the identity of the consortium members, their strategy and their funding capacity.

"This information had not been forthcoming by the date of our offer.

"We are therefore withdrawing completely from the process to enable Charles Green and his consortium to move forward.

"We very much hope the verbal assurances they provided to us - and the public statements made - are adhered to and that the club will therefore be financed and managed with appropriate governance and can go forward in a sustainable manner.

"We wish the new Rangers Football Club every good fortune."

Smith won 21 trophies over two spells as manager of Rangers but the club, who went into administration in February, are heading for liquidation, prompting Green's purchase of the assets.

BBC Sport

Â