Martin O'Neill

maqroll

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That's it, he learnt all that from Clough.  Obviously we are only hearing Warnocks side of the story and making a judgement from that. O'Neil wasn't an elite manager but 3 top 6 finishes doesn't make him a bad one either. Gabby had his best part of his career under him and speaks very highly of him 

James Collins and Heskey said the same thing recently and Gabby was talking about it too

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The whole segment on Villa is dire to be honest, a dismal progression of everything getting worse through a lack of professionalism and people acting like total dicks. 

Yeah just listened to all of our segment.

Houllier was a petty character aswell wasn't he if it's as Warnock said. Probably very similar to MON in a way.

I also remember Mysterman's ITK on here around the time and he basically said Houllier wanted to get Warnock, Carew, Friedel all out as he'd fallen out with them previously and that's what happened. Guess the big thing in Football is managers forget rules if you lose heavily so don't take any chances there. We should've let him just go to Liverpool as probably could've got 5-6m back if he'd done alright there on loan.

McLeish as suspected a decent guy but just didn't have the personality to manage the group plus all the factors of where he came from.

I was thinking all through the fitness stuff why some senior players didn't just go to Lerner and Faulkner and say this as that's what would've happened at likes of Chelsea at the time but then he says Lerner was blanking him after Lambert decided to bomb squad him.

Great podcast though. I'm sure MON will respond in time to that...

• Like 2

It doesn’t surprise me that James Milner was at the forefront of those saying more training was required. 

But fair do’s to Luke Young for leading the sessions. Mad that he’s had to do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah it’s just embarrassing hearing all that. Squandered a huge amount of potential with that team.

It’s interesting to hear young Ashley Young being a ringleader in terms of the team skiving off training - I wonder if Villa imploding taught him some valuable lessons for the rest of his career, given how professional he subsequently became.

Playing under Fergie probably did all that.

That's where Gabby maybe moving around the same time would've probably pushed him on but he stayed and became so entrenched in our mediocrity he was done by his late 20s as a serious prem player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I’m very curious if MON simply did tactics with his favs and left everything else to Robertson 

I don't think MON did any tactics whatsoever. If you listen to some of the Leicester squad from 90s he didn't turn up for training until the Thursday/Friday there.

All about motivation for him so no wonder no one wants to employ him nowadays.

Posted (edited)

Loads of players talk highly of MON. Pretty much all of them are players who MON gave huge contracts to, when they wouldn't have got half the money anywhere else. Also it's usually the pissheads that thought he was great. Two days on the booze every week. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It doesn’t surprise me that James Milner was at the forefront of those saying more training was required. 

But fair do’s to Luke Young for leading the sessions. Mad that he’s had to do that.

Yeah forgot to mention that about Luke Young. ‘Undermining’ MON by holding fitness training is probably why he barely played. 

55 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Shambles Luke Young had to do that

Hold it back 🤚 not sayng O'Neill didn't have his faults I'm sure he did and didn't get with the times, but these podcast things are only presenting one side of the story and often people go on them with the idea that they have to have something headline grabbing to say, so maybe certain elements get exaggerated or twisted

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Hold it back 🤚 not sayng O'Neill didn't have his faults I'm sure he did and didn't get with the times, but these podcast things are only presenting one side of the story and often people go on them with the idea that they have to have something headline grabbing to say, so maybe certain elements get exaggerated or twisted

By multiple players over multiple teams

Guy is a clearing in the woods, only Gerrard outranks him in Villa managers

• Like 4

Of course it's true that the podcast only presents one side of the story. Doubtless if you ask MON or Houllier or Lambert they'd give a different account which was more flattering to themselves. But we do know what happened in terms of results and performances, and it's not like 'we didn't do any training so we blew up before Easter' doesn't fit what we actually saw. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

only Gerrard outranks him in Villa managers

I'm looking forward to the podcasts in 15 years time from the current players that tell us all about Slippy G.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

By multiple players over multiple teams

Yep, same story from Pontus Kamark in his Leicester days. And that was interviews from at least 10 years ago.

Fraud! A motivator but still a fraud

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Yep, same story from Pontus Kamark in his Leicester days. And that was interviews from at least 10 years ago.

Fraud! A motivator but still a fraud

A fraud that got us three 6th place finishes though. Not a fan or anything but no way can he be classed as a fraud as manager. We have had far worse managers than him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A fraud that got us three 6th place finishes though. Not a fan or anything but no way can he be classed as a fraud as manager. We have had far worse managers than him.

So you could say he should have done better. And could definitely left us in a better position with all that money wasted.

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

So you could say he should have done better. And could definitely left us in a better position with all that money wasted.

He failed to get champions league but there was strong competition with trans with bigger budgets and then we kept selling our best players so not sure.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

He failed to get champions league but there was strong competition with trans with bigger budgets and then we kept selling our best players so not sure.

He sold one star player during his time. He was a fraud and a clearing in the woods

The start of the Villa rot with how.he allowed players to do what they want

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

there was strong competition with trans

I think there is another thread on here for that kinda stuff

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not sure??? He was a total dinosaur 🦕 and as was said above he basically started our terminal decline. Wasted a fortune to do the same thing every season. He was rubbish at Ireland and Sunderland too and I doubt Celtic fans have much love for him either. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He sold one star player during his time. He was a fraud and a clearing in the woods

The start of the Villa rot with how.he allowed players to do what they want

It's hard to be objective when you hate someone. I'm neither one or the other. Limited manager yes but a fraud no. Discounting his Celtic record he did well at Leicester bringing them home a trophy and cup final plus three 6th place finishes, he wasn't a disaster here either. Better than many other managers at Villa.

• Like 3

Â