Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

God fair play for you guys getting so many dates, I can't remember the last date I went on :(

I'm in the same boat. I've tried the online thing with almost zero success. Tinder seems to be full of impossibly beautiful people who clearly won't look once at me, let alone twice!

I did have a few dates earlier on this month with a woman who seemed relatively normal but that was a friend set-up. Fizzled out after a while when it became clear I was just a back-up option for her if she had no other plans. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm in the same boat. I've tried the online thing with almost zero success. Tinder seems to be full of impossibly beautiful people who clearly won't look once at me, let alone twice!

I did have a few dates earlier on this month with a woman who seemed relatively normal but that was a friend set-up. Fizzled out after a while when it became clear I was just a back-up option for her if she had no other plans. 

What sites are you putting yourself out on? 

I hated Tinder. Didn't work for me in the slightest. Never had a single date from there, and I struggled with making contact with girls when you know **** all about them apart from how they look.  Personally I found the sites (OkC & PoF mainly) which allow you to write a profile about yourself worked better, easier to find people with similar interests etc. 

Though I met my partner on eHarmony so don't rule out the paying ones either (though, eHarmony is a bit shit tbh)

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

What sites are you putting yourself out on? 

I hated Tinder. Didn't work for me in the slightest. Personally I found the sites which allow you to kinda sell yourself a bit first came with better success (mainly because I have a pie for a face)

I tried POF for a while and that was just a world full of crazy. Gruaniad soul-mates was OK but too full of aspirational wannabe's.

I go through phases of leaving it alone for a while, then i get bored and sign up again only to find that it's not only just as boring but morale-draining too. 

• Like 2

Yeah I know what you mean about giving up and it being a bit draining. I used to kinda try for a couple of months, and then leave it for a couple, then try again etc....

Have you tried OkCupid? I found their was a lot of normals on there... 

Can I ask the guys who are on these online sites with no success/dates what kind of images do you upload? You would be suprised sometimes in a image can put a woman off.

For example I uploaded a picture of me and a friend who she isn't bad looking (but it was a good pic of me) then I noticed I didn't get as many matches. My cousin then said to me get rid of that pic as women don't like seeing that. Did that and then started getting more matches again. 

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I tried POF for a while and that was just a world full of crazy. Gruaniad soul-mates was OK but too full of aspirational wannabe's.

I go through phases of leaving it alone for a while, then i get bored and sign up again only to find that it's not only just as boring but morale-draining too. 

Yep ditto. It was my weekend this time round to delete all my accounts. Will probably go on again in another month just to get no likes and get depressed again. 

Anyone had any with match? Considering signing up to a proper paying one.

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep ditto. It was my weekend this time round to delete all my accounts. Will probably go on again in another month just to get no likes and get depressed again. 

Anyone had any with match? Considering signing up to a proper paying one.

My mate is marrying his wife to be thanks to match, although bizarrely neither one has told their parents they met on there. Instead they have instructed his best men to say they met at a bar in the speech 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can I ask the guys who are on these online sites with no success/dates what kind of images do you upload? You would be suprised sometimes in a image can put a woman off.

For example I uploaded a picture of me and a friend who she isn't bad looking (but it was a good pic of me) then I noticed I didn't get as many matches. My cousin then said to me get rid of that pic as women don't like seeing that. Did that and then started getting more matches again. 

I'm not on any of these sites, but your mate was right. Don't include a picture of yourself with anyone else, certainly not a woman (for various reasons I assume). I've watched people flick through tinder and they quickly get impatient when it's not clear who you're swiping if there's more than one person of the same sex there. They want to see you, not see how popular you are with your mates and girls you know. 

From what I understand, you're meant to have 2 or 3 pictures on there including a close up of your face and a full body shot too (probably clothed). 

Apparently women like seeing a photo of a guy outdoors in some activity or other, rather than one of you holding a half drunk pint in your hand. It suggests an adventurous spirit, or so I hear.

I don't know how much of that is true, but it's what I've read and gathered from others and to me it makes reasonable sense.

As for my love life, non existent yet complicated is how I'd currently describe it.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

You need to demonstrate your value/worth on your pictures. Having 5 pics of you with a pint in your hand doesn't do that! Holiday pics are good, especially if they show recognisable landmarks, so they know you are travelled and may have a bit of depth to you. 

Reading some of these comments makes me realise how similar some of us are (losers in love team!). I've also been guilty of writing off women far too quickly and not giving them a chance. I look back on some of the women I have dated and i massively regret not giving it more of a go with them and seeing how it progressed. I guess being a loner, I value my own space and time and i'm protective over it, hence why I entered a long term relationship in a while. 

I think I need to revisit my priorities. 

• Like 1

POF - Shit, never got to even get a conversation going with anyone, let alone a date. Lots of pretty girls (fake profiles maybe)

Tinder - Not bad, again fake profiles (apparently), just swipe yes on every bird under 20 stone and you are in with a chance of a match

Match.com - Average. Not cheap either, loads of pretty ladies, but who have very high opinions of themselves. Expect 1 reply in every 30 messages sent.

OK Cupid - Rubbish. Crammed with ming mongs who look like Jeremy Kyle rejects.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

POF - Shit, never got to even get a conversation going with anyone, let alone a date. Lots of pretty girls (fake profiles maybe)

Tinder - Not bad, again fake profiles (apparently), just swipe yes on every bird under 20 stone and you are in with a chance of a match

Match.com - Average. Not cheap either, loads of pretty ladies, but who have very high opinions of themselves. Expect 1 reply in every 30 messages sent.

OK Cupid - Rubbish. Crammed with ming mongs who look like Jeremy Kyle rejects.

What I found strange was when I was in liverpool weekend. i had tinder and matched with a few girls and they were certainly better to talk to than girls from London. Sometimes it does come down to geographic area also. 

POF is abit shit I have to say, not may women respond on that

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What I found strange was when I was in liverpool weekend. i had tinder and matched with a few girls and they were certainly better to talk to than girls from London. Sometimes it does come down to geographic area also. 

POF is abit shit I have to say, not may women respond on that

I don't like to generalise, but I personally have steered clear of London girls. Trying to get them out of the M25 a day appears to be a struggle for anyone "born in the manor".

Â