Final Fantasy

hogso

Anyone seen the trailer for FFXV that's currently in development?

Definitely looks like something to keep your eye on, though the battle system looks more real-time in design that turn-based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3dyanB3pk

Edited by Ginko

It's interesting, the juxtaposition of the huge monsters, sprawling landscapes and big **** off swords against the otherwise modern day technology (it seems) is intriguing. They changed the director, it's now the guy who directed Crisis Core, which I found to be quite under appreciated.

I am dubious though. Could they offer a huge playing area, with a few flash characters, but no real substance? Given the ps3 offerings it's not only possible, but worryingly likely. Although I did like the ff13 games, mostly.

I believe the trailer is for ffxv 'Episode Duscue' or something though, which appears to be a prologue/demo out in March. There's no release date for ffxv yet, other than...after March '15

There's also going to be HD versions of type-0 on vita and Agito on ps4. I think that's the right way round.

Can't post it from my phone but was reading about TGS on crave online and they have a great picture of all the old FF heroes updated, any ideas what's that's from?

I'm not sure of the picture you're referring to, but could it be related to Theatrhythm? Edited by hogso

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I upgraded my ps3 version of ffxiv to the ps4 version. But as of yet have not renewed a sub. I haven't played it for months, any freebie weekends or such like coming up?

• 3 months later...

Golden Saucer is in the latest patch for FFXIV, I've read it contains chocobo racing and triple triad, but not sure what else. I dearly hope it has the classic or a slightly rejigged version of the music.

I'm really enjoying FFXIV at the moment - haven't put a tonne of hours into it (i'm only level 11) but it's incredibly polished and i'm surprised at how well it works for a console MMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Episode Duscae is a delight. I'm bowled over, frankly, where on earth have they pulled this from? Considering it was in development hell for so long it's even more staggering. Looks great, sounds great, combat is solid, and the gameworld is triffic. Usual FF tropes present, such as it having an apparently non-sensical plot, rubbish stereotypical characters (there's a muscley guy, smart guy, moody guy, silly guy, yawn) and the voiceovers are...questionable. I've not finished it, in fact I've not spent more than an hour on it, but I enjoyed that time greatly. Lots of influence from contemporary western RPG's without loosing too much of that traditional Final Fantasy feel to it, reminds me in part to a Monster Hunter game aswell, which are of course her-uuuuge in Japan. I expect, then, that they've bowed to pressure from fans from both the east and west, and would you know, it appears to have worked.

The ease at which it's set in a proper modern world (it starts with you being awoken in a tent on the side of the road by someone's mobile, then wandering down a lonely road on some massive plain, car having broke down/crashed, and the crew deciding they have to go hunt a Behemoth and get the bounty to be able to stump up the money to get the car repaired), with some fantasy elements, is fresh not just for the series, but for the genre as a whole. I think I will play the death out of the thing and barely touch Type-0 HD until the game proper, or Persona 5 & Rocket League - whatever comes first - is out.

Oh, forgot to mention, the Collector's Edition is really nice too. First time I've ordered anything directly from Square Enix (came in an exclusive jacket, so I figured, why not), and I'm mighty impressed. Really nice art book, prequel manga and a spiffing looking gold steelcase, which I don't generally think much of. That's all Type-0 related stuff though, not XV. I'll get the Collector's Edition for that too.

Edited by hogso

Yeah I'm very tempted too. It has a proper world map again!

Ive read ridiculous criticisms regarding the graphics to the point where I'm wondering if they even realise they are playing an old psp game with a bit of spit and polish.

Its a game that I am definitely interested in playing though but I'll wait for it to come down in price a little first I think. It has £25 written all over it.

Edited by Ingram85

9 was the first ever game I properly fell in love with. Everything about it is just my own personal view and thoughts on what fantasy should be. A bit of labyrinth, dark crystal, legend and a good mix of final fantasy all jumbled up.

I don't think I could do justice in explaining just what ff9 means to me. It's what 6 or 7 means to most then doubled.

I wish they would redo crystal chronicles with a reworked system as the atmosphere in that was spot on also.

Â