Final Fantasy

hogso

FFVI has just had an Android/iOS release. They've made some gameplay changes, making it touch screen friendly, and with a nice auto-battle feature for those pesky random encounters. They've also 'updated' the graphics, though, which make the character sprites look like cardboard cutouts...

• 3 weeks later...

Just read a review of LR: FFXIII on my most trusted site, and my fears after having played the demo have been confirmed. It's just not very good. For many reasons - the customisation of Lightning is by far and away the best thing in the game, with the battle system working pretty well too. But pretty much everything else, the characters, the story, the 'time limit' gimmick, etc etc just ain't great.

Case in point - you only gain exp from quests (of which they have apparently gone a bit mental and inundated the player with them, and none of them are very interesting), so what exactly is the point of 'normal' (they're not random anymore) battles?

At least FFXIII is over after this, and we can all move on and consider it to have been a massive missed opportunity. FFXV looks promising, has since it was known under it's previous name, a proper departure, in terms of setting at least, for the series. Hope they don't mess it up too bad...

Yasumi Matsuno, the creator of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics (aswell as having a major role in Vagrant Story and FFXII) is currently trying to gather funds on Kickstarter for a new Tactical RPG. Gonna be awesome~

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

It's a third of the way there after a couple of days, and one of the stretch goals is to have the composer from FFT and FFXII work on the game. I've gone way OOT in the past with pledges for other stuff, so have settled with $20, which gets you the game as an early bird.

This is sadly looking like it might not make the target.

There's 62 hours left (at the time of posting) and another $90k is needed to hit their base goal.

I bumped up my pledge recently but it'll be a shame for this to not to make the cut. I'm quite intrigued by the updates so far and was looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.

I wonder if it would've gotten more traction if they had the word "Tactics" in the title.

Yasumi Matsuno, the creator of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics (aswell as having a major role in Vagrant Story and FFXII) is currently trying to gather funds on Kickstarter for a new Tactical RPG. Gonna be awesome~

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

It's a third of the way there after a couple of days, and one of the stretch goals is to have the composer from FFT and FFXII work on the game. I've gone way OOT in the past with pledges for other stuff, so have settled with $20, which gets you the game as an early bird.

This is sadly looking like it might not make the target.

There's 62 hours left (at the time of posting) and another $90k is needed to hit their base goal.

I bumped up my pledge recently but it'll be a shame for this to not to make the cut. I'm quite intrigued by the updates so far and was looking forward to seeing it come to fruition.

I wonder if it would've gotten more traction if they had the word "Tactics" in the title.

These things usually have a massive surge when they reach the last couple of days, Elite Dangerous took off in a big way at the end for example.

In regards to the game though, I'm not all that encouraged by the recent updates. I'd like the game to be made and want to play it, sure, but it sounds awfuly linear. No wondering around between towns or anything like that...if they nail the setting, period, and story (or plurals of - seeing as it's going to be chapters over some years) though it would be worth sticking with.

Edited by hogso

Unsung Story made it's target a few hours ago :) Don't think it'll hit any stretch goals in the ~14 hours remaining, though

I'll report back with LR:FFXIII thoughts if I get around to putting time in to it this weekend

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, where to start with LRFFXIII. Thankfully for anyone reading this I'm posting via leemonds iPhone, so it'll be relatively short.

The entire game world opens up on the second day of the game - a couple of hours at most playtime. The world us split up into 3 or 4 open environments, which are, in fairness, expansive and varied.

Problem is, it's a little too much. I felt overwhelmed. Which might not be too bad until you consider the time limit. It makes you feel like you need to rush around like an idiot doing what ever you can before the day ends. I'm not sure if at any time you can just wander around at your leisure, but if you can't, then, what's the point? The story reason for this time limit is completely barmy as well (Oh yeah Lightning has been asleep for 500 years just chilling out...OH **** THE WORLD ENDS IN 13 DAYS, BETTER GET MOVING!)

There's also the quests. The whole game is about mini quests, basically, battles don't matter, the characters are still pretty rubbish, and the story makes no sense. So you're left with mini quests. Some are alright, some aren't. A lot are fetch quests.

It's not a good game. And I am a self confessed fan boy who enjoyed both the preceding games. The best thing about it is they won't make any more games with this world and these characters. Thank ****.

It's growing on me. Some of the environments are really nice, and they are pretty huge. No more corridors! They've well and truly knocked that on the head, seems like there was only that section at the start that still had them - which was also in the demo. Once you get used to the time limit, and the 'chronostasis' ability which let's you freeze the progress of time, it's nice travelling between settlements, or through the city/desert, depending on which place you're in. It's a very well realised world. That at least is making it bearable.

Edited by hogso

OK I'm actually quite enjoying it now ^_^ The battle system and customisation really starts to come in to it's own a few hours in once you unlock more dress-, uh sorry, garbs. Nothing can save the main story arc, though, which is an absoloute dog, although some of the side quests offer a bit more interest. Occasionally.

• 3 weeks later...

The FFX/X2 HD rebuilds are a must for any fans. They've done a fantastic job, it's not a half hearted upscaling, but a proper upgrade to everything, graphically. Also worth mentioning that it's the 'International' version, plus Eternal Calm, plus Last Mission for FFX2. So that's nice.

There's also a novel set after X2 called Price of Eternity been released in JP, and following THAT, an audio drama called Will that finishes off the story proper. Or something. They're not available in English though, although the audio drama can be listened to on YouTube with English subtitles. You know, if you're really hardcore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Closing in on plat for LRFFXIII. Beat the ultimate boss today, Aeronite, with his 11mil HP. Have the second tier ultimate boss to go, having already extinct all plausible enemies. Then there's the story to beat, a few minimal trophies in NG+, and I'm done.

If I do do it, might have to return to FFXIII and finish that plat off for the trio...

That's the way to get one of the objects for one of the celestial weapons. I did it way back when on the PS2 so no reason I can't do it again on the PS3 version. There are some hints and a specific technique with a crater which pretty much enables you to guarantee when the lightning will hit so you can prepare for it. It is tough though and can be insanely annoying.

Â