Final Fantasy

hogso

On 12/13/2015 at 22:23, Chindie said:

I rather stupidly decided I'd like to have a crack at a Final Fantasy game for the first time in nearly a decade. So I bought Bravely Default, which is basically a Final Fantasy game on everything but name (and originally in name as well).

It's bloody good. It throws in some slightly different mechanics which add an additional tactical layer, whereby each character can take up to 4 turns in a turn in advance, but then sits out of the next 3 turns while they build up their turns again, or you can bank a turn to take 2 later in the fight for free. 

If you have a 3ds and fancy some JRPG action, track down a copy.

Great game until chapter 5, then you get the twist. Ruined it for me.

Yuffie's dialogue is easy, It alternates top/bottom so it's just a 50/50 on remembering the first option. Sid and Vincent are better companions anyway.

FFIX as expected is coming to Steam - next month, alledgedly.

Just left Midgar on my FFVII playthrough, got to steal the Atomic Scissors outside Kalm then do the Sephiroth back story before starting my limit break level grinding.

And anyone who has already played it, did you notice this? I'll put it in spoilers for anyone who doesn't want the surprise ruined, occurs early on in Midgar, before taking Aerith home from the Church...

Spoiler

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_ps4_review_this_guy_is

They actually **** patched it, the crazy bastards.

I named her that. Aeris is a mistranslation, and to be more specific a 'transliteration', her actual name is Aerith, and every FFVII product since the main game (ie. Advent Children, Kingdom Hearts, Crisis Core, Dissidia, even Little Big Planet 2 and FFRK.) has had her name as Aerith.

Ergo, her canon name is Aerith, not Aeris, and will be so in the FFVII Remake.

Curiously,  they did not correct the text in the Guard Scorpian battle, where Cloud tells Barrett to attack when the tail is up, when of course, it should read don't attack when the tail is up.

Edited by hogso

Completed my grinding for Aerith's limit breaks

CYda6e0WYAA7fOP.jpg

All done in the Mythril Mines, didn't actually take all that long. Also got Cloud and Barrett's 2/2 limits as well. Then I managed to encounter and recruit Yuffie on my first random encounter in the woods near Junon, which is some acheivement as I can remember having to try over and over again there in the past.

I got Yuffie on my third encounter in the forests just West of Fort Condor, which is apparently one of the places with the lowest chance of her appearing. I guess I lucked out.

I never use her though, Cloud, Vincent and Barret are my typical line-up. Worked well so far.

Reunited with Cloud and did some of the sidequests last night including Ancient Forest which was incredibly annoying with the iPad controls.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Going to spend a large chunk of this year bashing through FF 7, 8 and 9 as I've not played these since I was 16/17 quite a few years ago.

Looking forward to it a lot.

Which was your favourite before? I replayed VIII a few years ago and it went down in my estimation based upon what I remember thinking about when it first came out and I played the heck out of it. It's probably the easiest of all the games, spend some time early on drawing magic and not much can stand up to you. 

How much of the FFVII compilation stuff did you read/watch/play? Crisis Core is terrific, Zack is a wonderfully realised character in it, and it also deals with some other stuff that might seem odd in FFVII, Sephiroth's one wing, for example.

Plus, if you're interested in them, The Turks have some great back story in Before Crisis - the game itself is now over ten years old and was mobile only in Japan. So you probably won't be able to play it, but a plot synopsis might be worth a read.

Dirge of Cerburus never really grabbed me, but I actually did enjoy some of the retconning - FYI Yuffie and Vincent were evacuating Midgar before Meteor struck whilst Cloud and Co were at the North Crater battling Sephiroth, for example, therefore they weren't in the final sequence of FFVII ;) 

Advent Children is well known as being pure fan service and pretty pointless otherwise, and I wouldn't be surprised if SE non-canonised (is that a thing?) it, so Cait Sith isn't **** Scottish and so we may actually be able to do the Aerith revival quest in Remake. 

On the subject, if Mandy Moore doesn't voice Aerith, I riot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Which was your favourite before? I replayed VIII a few years ago and it went down in my estimation based upon what I remember thinking about when it first came out and I played the heck out of it. It's probably the easiest of all the games, spend some time early on drawing magic and not much can stand up to you. 

How much of the FFVII compilation stuff did you read/watch/play? Crisis Core is terrific, Zack is a wonderfully realised character in it, and it also deals with some other stuff that might seem odd in FFVII, Sephiroth's one wing, for example.

Plus, if you're interested in them, The Turks have some great back story in Before Crisis - the game itself is now over ten years old and was mobile only in Japan. So you probably won't be able to play it, but a plot synopsis might be worth a read.

Dirge of Cerburus never really grabbed me, but I actually did enjoy some of the retconning - FYI Yuffie and Vincent were evacuating Midgar before Meteor struck whilst Cloud and Co were at the North Crater battling Sephiroth, for example, therefore they weren't in the final sequence of FFVII ;) 

Advent Children is well known as being pure fan service and pretty pointless otherwise, and I wouldn't be surprised if SE non-canonised (is that a thing?) it, so Cait Sith isn't **** Scottish and so we may actually be able to do the Aerith revival quest in Remake. 

On the subject, if Mandy Moore doesn't voice Aerith, I riot. 

It's a tough one but I will always have a soft spot for 9, probably because Vivi is a cool character, but I also think some of that is because it was the last one I played and can remember it getting me through my A-Levels. I hope 8 hasn't aged for me as much as you say as I think that is the most mature of the 3 games.

I watched videos of Crisis Core ages ago but do sometimes go back to Advent Children as I actually own that. Will certainly check out the other games you mention, maybe on youtube.

Oh, and Aerith revival has to be a priority on the remake.

Edited by jacketspuds

FF8 becomes mildly more interesting when viewed through the lens of the fan theory that half the game is played out in the moments before death of one of the characters.

Edited by Chindie

8 was awesome IMO, along with RE2 it was the first game that I can remember being hyped for, followed it for ages before the release, got it day 1, smashed it, 4/5 hours a day on it, I for one liked the draw system and the characters, the card game is the best sub game I think I've ever played

• Like 1

Reached 'part 2' on my FFVII save yesterday. I had a party of Cloud, Tifa and Cait Sith, with Tifa and Cait Sith severely under-leveled compared to Cloud, and took Jenova Life down with just 3 attacks - Bahamut, Kjata, and Meteorain from Cloud to finish it off. That alone did about 7000 damage, though. Yeeowch.

Gunning for an all achievement playthrough? Keep us updated man. 

I've decided I definitely want 3 full enemy skill materias in my ff7 save. **** the 4th, too much hassle. I've just lost Cloud, so having 3 other characters making up my party is quite beneficial when learning  limit breaks for the rest I'm finding 

Â